Sony Z-series replace hard drive

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 13, 2004 6:28:29 PM

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-Z1AP (model PCG-571L Z-series) laptop and I
can't figure how to get it open so as to replace the hard drive. I've
removed all the screws (with arrows) including the three under the
small square stickers, but the thing just won't come apart. I can pry
it apart a little, but something near the center seems to be still
fastened.. Any clues? TIA.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 13, 2004 8:05:51 PM

I don't own a Z Series Laptop, but have stripped and refitted 3 SONY
Laptops so far.

My guess:
SONY loves esily detacheable keyboards. For example with very little
spring mounted bars at the keyboard border, or a detachable Cover
between screen and Keyboard (with screws on the sides).
Maybe you will find another screw under it.

Another possibility:
a screw under the Memory cover

And .. take your time, or it will take your Laptop
:wink:

==============
a b D Laptop
September 14, 2004 4:15:30 PM

On 13 Sep 2004 16:05:51 -0400,
e0126402@student.tuwien.ac-dot-at.no-spam.invalid (genius) wrote:

>I don't own a Z Series Laptop, but have stripped and refitted 3 SONY
>Laptops so far.
>
>My guess:
>SONY loves esily detacheable keyboards. For example with very little
>spring mounted bars at the keyboard border, or a detachable Cover
>between screen and Keyboard (with screws on the sides).
>Maybe you will find another screw under it.
>
>Another possibility:
>a screw under the Memory cover
>
>And .. take your time, or it will take your Laptop
> :wink:
>
>==============
>Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

Actually, it's not my laptop -- I'm tryiong to do somebody a favor...
which seems like it's going to backfire...

You're right -- there are two very small clips holding down the right
top of the keyboard. But there seems to be only two, both in that
upper right area. So I can get only the top right corner to come up a
tiny bit. It looks as tho the front edge is tabbed in. If there were
clips along the entire top edge then it seems it would come out fine.
(sigh). This one is quite a puzzle -- I guess I'll have to send it to
Sony.

Thanks for the suggestion, tho -- you were right on the mark!
Jaz
a b D Laptop
September 14, 2004 4:15:31 PM

Jaz <harbell@beerburp.com> wrote:
>Actually, it's not my laptop -- I'm tryiong to do somebody a favor...
>which seems like it's going to backfire...

Yeah, you do want to be extra careful. However, you might try Google
for a service manual or disassembly instructions, I (rather
unexpectedly) found them for my R505 laptop somewhere on the WWWeb.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 20, 2008 3:24:04 PM

Hi. I was taking apart a Sony Vaio PCG-4E1L. And here is what I found.

There are two very small clips holding down the top of the keyboard. If you look in the battery compartment, there are two black squares. Pressing the lower part of the black square hard while lifting the top of the keyboard will release that section of the the keyboard. You may also be able to just pry it up but I wasn't having any luck with that. You have to do one side at a time. Once the top of the keyboard is loose, it will slide out of the lower tab that is keeping the bottom down.

HTH any who are trying this.
!