Business network switch forum

baggies1

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
hi,

I need to add some network switches to our network.

I need
1x 48 port 4xSFP switch in our main comms
4 x 48 port 2x SFP at our 4 cabinets located around the factory.

Each cabinet switch will be connected to the comms room via existing Fibre Optic links.

Ideally i want the switch to be
-stackable
-VLAN capable
-QOS
-LAYER 3
-POE capable

Cisco switches are most like too expensive for the job and i'm concenred i could do better than Netgear ones (reports of failed units and lost vlan settings)

Can anyone advise on above? either equipment you've had experience of or switches in that medium small business price range that might be worth investigating?

any advice would be great thanks..

sturm

Splendid
We only use Cisco at my work. They are more expensive but they hold up well and support is good. Next day replacement delivery with smartnet.
Take a look at the HP line of switches. I haven't used them but have seen good reports on them. I would think they would meet your needs.

chandra_77

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Hi baggies1,

I would recommend the iwNetworks ECS4524M-POE: 22x 1000baseT+ 2x SFP 7.5w/port Stackable switch. It is not on their website but you can contact them. I got mine from them for a very reasonable price.

www.iwnetworks.com

Regards,

Chandra.

choucove

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
I would also recommend looking into the HP series of switches, they are very reasonably priced for what you get, and many offer lifetime warranty and support here in the US. We have used several of their cheaper small business switches for some small businesses, so I personally don't have much experience working with the high-end networking equipment on their lines, but I know that the university I used to work at while at school used all HP networking products and were very pleased with them.