Xp Home vs Office '97 - No custom.dic

I installed Office 97 on my son's XP Home laptop.
He's not an admin (no way Jose!). I did find the KB
article on how to get spelling and grammar working; but
he still has a problem with the custom dictionary.
The "add" option is greyed out in the spell pop-up menu.

A KB article says to make the system's custom.dic and parent directory
RW. I did that. But it still doesn't work. The property tabs
have read-only unchecked; but the menu still has "add" greyed
out and if I open custom.dic manually the window header says RO.

I tried specifying a local copy in his D&S directory but that
doesn't work either. Word seems to want ot use the system custom.dic.
(Probably a cockpit error but the interface is a bit confusing)

I suspect some sort of permissions problem but I don't know how to
get to them in XP home.

Any ideas guys?

/dan
1 answer Last reply
More about home office custom

    You might want to check the link below for some pretty good information on
    spellcheck:
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/spellcheck.htm

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Daniel Ganek" <ganek@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I installed Office 97 on my son's XP Home laptop.
    > He's not an admin (no way Jose!). I did find the KB
    > article on how to get spelling and grammar working; but
    > he still has a problem with the custom dictionary.
    > The "add" option is greyed out in the spell pop-up menu.
    >
    > A KB article says to make the system's custom.dic and parent directory
    > RW. I did that. But it still doesn't work. The property tabs
    > have read-only unchecked; but the menu still has "add" greyed
    > out and if I open custom.dic manually the window header says RO.
    >
    > I tried specifying a local copy in his D&S directory but that
    > doesn't work either. Word seems to want ot use the system custom.dic.
    > (Probably a cockpit error but the interface is a bit confusing)
    >
    > I suspect some sort of permissions problem but I don't know how to
    > get to them in XP home.
    >
    > Any ideas guys?
    >
    > /dan

Configuration Office Windows XP