Overclocking the A10-4600m APU

jagrave

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
I am just curious as to if this processor is capable of being overclocked. The laptop is the HP ENVY m6-1105dx. I was wondering how far it could go and still be stable. And is it possible to overclock the gpu, and if so then by how much? thanks for all the help.:)

Do not bother overclock that laptop. The cooling system is already at the limit of what it can handle. About all you could do is edit the PS states and allow it to take all the cpu cores to the max boost speed but if it starts thermal throttling it will hurt performance. The gpu could be overclocked with MSI afterburner or the AMD catalyst control center or AMD overdrive. But the same issue the cooling system can not handle more heat and the gpu with throttle down and you will lose performance.. Granted if you run your laptop outside in winter when it is below O degrees F you might be able to overclock some without overheating and causing throttling, but in everyday summer weather you would be in trouble...

Machinegun Kelly

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
Overclocking your CPU should be done on a case-by-case basis when you're dealing with a laptop. I have an AMD A6-3400m and it runs @ 1.4ghz stock w/ a turbo core of 2.3ghz. I am currently running an overclock profile in K10Stat. 2.6 ghz w/ a turbo core of 2.8. Stock Cinebench R15 is 152 and with overclock it easily hit 248. Quite a big difference and heat simply is not an issue. Prime95 torture test for 2 hours and the hottest it became was 83.5c and that's after 2 whole hours of all 4 course running @ 100% load.

Just do some research. Look at what others have done with your hardware, sample their ideas and slowly creep up to the level you're comfortable with.