Do I need a PCIeX4 slot

Hello,

I am trying to select a motherboard for my first computer build.

In regards to the expansion slots....do I need a PCIeX4 slot?

What kind of cards require a PCIeX4 slot?

Very few mobos have a PCIeX4 slot, most have x1 slots.

Thank you
6 answers Last reply
More about pciex4 slot
  1. We need to know what CPU you are looking at to be able to review / recommend you a motherboard.
  2. tecmo34 said:
    We need to know what CPU you are looking at to be able to review / recommend you a motherboard.

I will be using an Intel Core i5-650.

I would appreciate any MOBO recommendations. However, my question is more related to PCIe X4 slots. Do I need them?
  3. As for recommendation on motherboard, I would go with the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro. As for the PCIe x4 slot, it is not required for any system. It is only needed if you plan to use a device that utilizes that slot.
  4. tecmo34 said:
    As for recommendation on motherboard, I would go with the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro. As for the PCIe x4 slot, it is not required for any system. It is only needed if you plan to use a device that utilizes that slot.

I guess that was my question...what kind of devices require a x4 slot?

I am trying to determine if I will need a x4 slot in the future, but if I don't know what kind of devices require that slot, I can't decide if I will need it or not.

Yes, the P7P55D-E Pro looks great but is a bit on the expensive side. I was looking for something a little less expensive (around $130...I live in Canada) but of good quality, ideally from ASUS or Gigabyte.
  5. The Asus U3S6 card requires an X4 slot. This is a USB3 (2 each) and a Sata 6 (2 ea) card. Many of the Newer Mother boards already have this onboard, so unless you need more then you would not need.

On a side note you can plug a x4 card into an x8 or x16 slot. My motherboard does not have U3 or S6, nor does it have an X4 slot - Have the card pluged in to x16 slot (runing at x8 I believe.

Not sure if some add on sound cards or tv cards may use X4.
  6. Two years later, the answer to your question is that you'll find most 4x cards are server grade network cards (NICs)
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Computer Build