Checkerboarding and Sparatic Colors!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz895

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Hello everyone! Lately I have been having problems with my SLI config of two 9800 GTX cards. Now there are moments when im playing a game and all of a sudden the screen checkerboards black, random textures start flashing different colors (DISCO!! :D ), and the games also freeze suddenly after that. Rarely it ends with a BSOD. Now I've been trying to solve this problem for a while. After failing to flash the bios on my new mobo (crud) I am back to the old one that never had any problems. Alas, I am having them again. I've switched between the cards on the other mobo with the same effect on both, but only have 1 of them in on this setup. Is it possible its the PSU?? It's an Antec Truepower Quattro 850W. I think it might be it because when I went to take out some RAM, the computer would'nt turn back on. I had to keep unplugging the comp, and turning the PSU on/off until it worked.

jrz895

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Also, using Hwmonitor and Speedfan, my 12v rail is running at 11.52. Now I've been looking around and saw that anywhere from 11.7-11.5 means PSU is starting to die. Is this true? I've had it for about 18 months now. Also this PSU has very bad reviews of it dying after a long period of time. Other than the answer to this, I would still like to know if PSU failure can cause artifacting.

jrz895

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I just looked at the PSU box and it says that each rail only outputs 18a!!! On newegg it said 25a when I bought it. I bought the 2nd card during last April. Now how could it have ran 2 9800gtx for that long??? Is it just dying now because of the wear from them?

peterson328

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
I had a similar issue with my video doing that. The cause of this issue was not enough voltage being applied to the RAM (on motherboard). My G.Skill 4GB ram required 2.0-2.1 volts, but was only receiving 1.86 volts. After upping this to around 2.004 volts this issue hasn't presented itself after hours and hours of gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.