Will a video card work on PCI Express 4x

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Crossfire
  • PCI Express
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
March 18, 2010 1:31:01 AM

I'm wondering what the headroom on PCI Express 2.0 is, because I really want to go Crossfire with my HD4770, but my second PCI Express (2.0) slot is only 4x (oops didn't see it when I bought it). I'm wondering if the 4770 even pushes enough data to need a full 16x slot, and if not, how much of a hit I'll take...

More about : video card work pci express

March 18, 2010 2:09:49 AM

bobman160000 said:
I'm wondering what the headroom on PCI Express 2.0 is, because I really want to go Crossfire with my HD4770, but my second PCI Express (2.0) slot is only 4x (oops didn't see it when I bought it). I'm wondering if the 4770 even pushes enough data to need a full 16x slot, and if not, how much of a hit I'll take...

Well, the only way to get 2x full x16 lanes is to get a X58 chipset. I would say it will work, however I do not know what the performance increase would be. As long as the physical connector fits the graphics card it will work, however.
m
l
Related resources
March 18, 2010 7:58:33 PM

Thanks, I spent hours trying to find something like that article you sent, but I couldn't. I Don't think it'll be that bad now that I've seen that, especially since my PCI-E is heavily overclocked (prob about 25%). Thanks!
m
l
March 18, 2010 8:00:45 PM

Oh, and yes it is a full sized slot. The Mobo is made for CrossfireX, I just didn't want to waste a bunch of money if 4x PCI-E was going to pose a significant bottleneck issue.
m
l
March 18, 2010 11:51:04 PM

bobman160000 said:
Thanks, I spent hours trying to find something like that article you sent, but I couldn't. I Don't think it'll be that bad now that I've seen that, especially since my PCI-E is heavily overclocked (prob about 25%). Thanks!

wow, nice job getting your pci-e up that high! mine typically starts blue screening around 15-20 % lol
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2010 1:45:02 AM

Yep, there are several of those articles they've done every time the slots change (AGP > PCI-E 1, PCI-E 1 to PCI-E 2, etc.). However, they are not easy to find. It takes me a while even though I know exactly what I am looking for. We need a better search on this site.
m
l