Will a video card work on PCI Express 4x

I'm wondering what the headroom on PCI Express 2.0 is, because I really want to go Crossfire with my HD4770, but my second PCI Express (2.0) slot is only 4x (oops didn't see it when I bought it). I'm wondering if the 4770 even pushes enough data to need a full 16x slot, and if not, how much of a hit I'll take...
7 answers Last reply
More about will video card work express
  1. bobman160000 said:
    I'm wondering what the headroom on PCI Express 2.0 is, because I really want to go Crossfire with my HD4770, but my second PCI Express (2.0) slot is only 4x (oops didn't see it when I bought it). I'm wondering if the 4770 even pushes enough data to need a full 16x slot, and if not, how much of a hit I'll take...

Well, the only way to get 2x full x16 lanes is to get a X58 chipset. I would say it will work, however I do not know what the performance increase would be. As long as the physical connector fits the graphics card it will work, however.
  2. It is a full length or open slot correct? Then yes, it will work.

And, the impact will be very small. Even for a 9800GX2 it was not large.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-2.0,1915-9.html
  3. Whoops, that was for the 3850.

Here's the GX2. A little worse, but still not bad.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-2.0,1915-10.html
  4. Thanks, I spent hours trying to find something like that article you sent, but I couldn't. I Don't think it'll be that bad now that I've seen that, especially since my PCI-E is heavily overclocked (prob about 25%). Thanks!
  5. Oh, and yes it is a full sized slot. The Mobo is made for CrossfireX, I just didn't want to waste a bunch of money if 4x PCI-E was going to pose a significant bottleneck issue.
  6. bobman160000 said:
    Thanks, I spent hours trying to find something like that article you sent, but I couldn't. I Don't think it'll be that bad now that I've seen that, especially since my PCI-E is heavily overclocked (prob about 25%). Thanks!

wow, nice job getting your pci-e up that high! mine typically starts blue screening around 15-20 % lol
  7. Yep, there are several of those articles they've done every time the slots change (AGP > PCI-E 1, PCI-E 1 to PCI-E 2, etc.). However, they are not easy to find. It takes me a while even though I know exactly what I am looking for. We need a better search on this site.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Crossfire PCI Express Graphics