Another graphics card question

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Laptops
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 18, 2010 1:53:53 AM

Hello, I'm not a gamer, but do a lot of photoshopping, and would like to get into HDR 3D pictures and videos. I've read your threads here that this might require a more studly card than those that come in standard laptops. I'm shopping for a new laptop and hope not to buy a larger one than I need.

I'm looking at either 320 or 500Gb dual core, or an i3, with 4GB RAM.

Will the Intel GMA 4500MHD be good enough? Or what size card would you recommend?

Thanks! Gin

More about : graphics card question

a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2010 2:34:13 AM

A discrete card would be nice. What Laptops are you interested in (brand, model) and what options do they have?
m
l
March 19, 2010 2:57:53 PM

EXT64 said:
A discrete card would be nice. What Laptops are you interested in (brand, model) and what options do they have?

Thanks much for your response.

I'm considering Acer Aspire 5740-5513 because it seems pretty studly with 2.13 GHz i3, 4 GB RAM, 320GB HD. It has an Integrated Intel GMA HD with 128 MB of dedicated video RAM and support for DirectX 10 (whatever that is). The problem with this machine is its size (15.6 inch). I need it to be portable on a daily basis.

So I'm also considering the smaller but less powerful Asus UL30VT-A1 with Intel Core 2 Duo Processor SU7300, 1.3 GHz, 4GB RAM 500GB HD, 13.3" screen, with Nvidia GeForce GT 210M

Dell Inspirion 11464-43820BK 14" screen also has 500GB HD with i3, 2.13 GHz, 4GB RAM, with Integrated Intel HD Graphiics.

Also people are pushing me to get a Mac, tho I've always been a PC person and have a hard time with that idea. Plus its price.

Your input on these is greatly appreciated, as I have been reading so much I'm completely stalled out with so many choices, none of which perfectly fits my desires. ;) 

Gin
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2010 3:13:12 PM

As far as a Mac is concerned, expect to pay significantly more for the same performance on a PC. Macs are nice and all, but they are way overpriced IMO.
Out of those laptops you are looking at, you'll probably get the bets performance from the Asus with the Nvidia GT210M. The CPU is a little less powerful, but the GPU is way better. Still, not a great GPU, but its a discrete card rather than an IGP.
m
l
March 20, 2010 12:12:09 AM

Thanks for your help!

I'm not crazy about Dells, but the one I described above has more of the features I'm looking for (ie more power with a 14" screen). Could I upgrade the Graphics card myself? And if so, which one would you recommend? I've always heard good things about Nvidia, but don't understand the levels. Which would be a great GPU for my needs without overdoing it (not being a gamer)?

Thanks again. You have no idea how nice it is to talk to someone knowledgable.

Gin
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2010 1:21:46 AM

No, laptops/notebooks almost never (really never) have upgradable graphics.

Edit: at least not until someone makes a reasonable external graphics solution
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2010 4:02:42 PM

Yeah- upgrading a graphics card in laptop is pretty much a no-go.
m
l
March 20, 2010 5:12:33 PM

Thanks to you both for your replies.

I think I'm going with the Asus UL30VT since it appears to have 2 interacting graphics cards, one integrated GMA 4500MHD and one dedicated Nvidia G210M that can be turned on and off for very long battery life. Perhaps that's plenty of power/speed for me.

Plus it's only 3.3 lbs with this. Just wish it weren't glossy screen. Sigh.

m
l
March 20, 2010 5:27:37 PM

ASUS also has an amazing warranty. It's a 2 year standard warranty with the first year even covering accidental damage(drops, spills, set it on fire). I've been extremely happy with the ASUS notebook I've had for over 3 years now and would not consider any other brand when I decide to upgrade. Plus the prices are usually awesome too.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2010 5:51:31 PM

Good call man- Asus makes some GREAT laptops, and that one ill probably fit your needs pretty well. Have fun with it:-)
m
l
March 27, 2010 1:41:24 AM

I am asked to select a "Best Answer" but all contirbuted to directing my research in making my final decision.

I am grateful for the feedback.

Gin
m
l
March 27, 2010 1:46:26 AM

I should also add that I eventually purchased the UL80Vt. Altho it has a 320Gb hard drive instead of the 500, everything else was the same except it has a a 14" screen which is better to view DVD's yet still only weighs 4.5 lbs.

And I have no problems with the glossy screen. All bad reviews about that are not a problem for me. I highly recommend it (so far).

G
m
l
!