Deadly Shadows Problem with new install

Last response: in Video Games
January 16, 2005 7:33:13 PM

I've been away from the Thief series for some time and finally found a copy
of Deadly Shadows yesterday. My system more than meets the minimum
requirments but I'm having problems right from start up with the intro
movies until I actually start a mission.

The movies try to play at about 3 secs per frame, audio plays the same 1
second segment then loops. I hit the ESC key to step past these clips to
the Load screen and once I get to the Options screen the cursor will only
move in spurts followed by long delays before it will respond again. Arrow
keys are similar. Extremely annoying to even quit the game.

If I actually do start a game, then everything smooths out and becomes
responsive again.

I'm running a single AMD 2800+ MHz cpu under XP Pro with a gig of RAM. I've
updated my video driver (NVidia GeForce FX 5700) as well as the on-board
audio driver and have the latest Direct-X 9.0c. I've also applied the 1.1
patch to T-DS.

I'm sure this has been discussed here in the past but couldn't find anything
with what's still left on the NG server. What do I need to do to resolve
this problem?

Thanks,

M.
January 17, 2005 4:28:07 AM

"Ma3rk" <m3dwhitney@att.net> wrote in message
news:D HwGd.30133$w62.21498@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> I've been away from the Thief series for some time and finally found a
> copy of Deadly Shadows yesterday. My system more than meets the minimum
> requirments but I'm having problems right from start up with the intro
> movies until I actually start a mission.
>
> The movies try to play at about 3 secs per frame, audio plays the same 1
> second segment then loops. I hit the ESC key to step past these clips to
> the Load screen and once I get to the Options screen the cursor will only
> move in spurts followed by long delays before it will respond again.
> Arrow keys are similar. Extremely annoying to even quit the game.
>
> If I actually do start a game, then everything smooths out and becomes
> responsive again.
>
> I'm running a single AMD 2800+ MHz cpu under XP Pro with a gig of RAM.
> I've updated my video driver (NVidia GeForce FX 5700) as well as the
> on-board audio driver and have the latest Direct-X 9.0c. I've also applied
> the 1.1 patch to T-DS.
>
> I'm sure this has been discussed here in the past but couldn't find
> anything with what's still left on the NG server. What do I need to do to
> resolve this problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> M.

You should try here. http://www.ttlg.com/

Your problem sounds the reverse of what it should be ;-)

Good luck.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 4:28:08 AM

I haven't been able to play the game at all since my system is so old and
need to upgrade. Since I have been out of the loop from the current
technology, I don't know if your card supports pixel shading. It is my
understanding that it is a big factor for the game and if yours doesn't,
that could be what is bogging down your system.

"wazza" <wazzw@mindyerown.biz> wrote in message

> "Ma3rk" <m3dwhitney@att.net> wrote in message
> news:D HwGd.30133$w62.21498@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > I've been away from the Thief series for some time and finally found a
> > copy of Deadly Shadows yesterday. My system more than meets the minimum
> > requirments but I'm having problems right from start up with the intro
> > movies until I actually start a mission.
> >
> > The movies try to play at about 3 secs per frame, audio plays the same 1
> > second segment then loops. I hit the ESC key to step past these clips
> > the Load screen and once I get to the Options screen the cursor will
only
> > move in spurts followed by long delays before it will respond again.
> > Arrow keys are similar. Extremely annoying to even quit the game.
> >
> > If I actually do start a game, then everything smooths out and becomes
> > responsive again.
> >
> > I'm running a single AMD 2800+ MHz cpu under XP Pro with a gig of RAM.
> > I've updated my video driver (NVidia GeForce FX 5700) as well as the
> > on-board audio driver and have the latest Direct-X 9.0c. I've also
applied
> > the 1.1 patch to T-DS.
> >
> > I'm sure this has been discussed here in the past but couldn't find
> > anything with what's still left on the NG server. What do I need to do
> > resolve this problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > M.
>

> You should try here. http://www.ttlg.com/
>
> Your problem sounds the reverse of what it should be ;-)
>
> Good luck.

January 17, 2005 4:28:09 AM

>> > I've updated my video driver (NVidia GeForce FX 5700) as well as the

I hope the troubled user is not trying to use this game under an emulation
program. I bought the retail (used) box for a buddy and he tried to use
it under Alcohol 120 % and it did noit work) .. Other than that I hope
the fan's version is not a clone of some kind versus retail.

I did not see the original message so I am including the below for others
that visit this group although the video card named in the listing was
mentioned by the snip it I saw in another message.....

The Retail box says (if I am reading this correctly)

Supported Graphics Chipsets

ATI Radeon 8500
ATI Radeon 9 series (9200,9600,9800)
Nvidia Geforce 3TI Series
Nvidia geforce 4TI Series
Nvidia Geforce FX Series
nvidia geforce 6 Series

GRAPHICS CARD MUST SUPPORT PIXEL SHADER 1.1

UNSUPPORTED GRAPHICS CHIPSETS:

Nvidia Geforce 4MX (460 & 420)
Nvidia Geforce 4GO / Nvidia-Quadro FX Pro
Nvidia Geforce Nforce2 and Nforce 3

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

The test video card button for the install says it's good to go. The readme
file says it doesn't have problems with it either. Have the latest drivers,
direct-x, etc. Plenty of CPU, RAM, pagefile & HD space too.

Didn't find much relevant on the ttlg group either specific to what I'm
experiencing. Just sent a request into eidos tech support so see what that
turns up. Probably just something simple like a codec issue I hope.

Thanks,

M.

"eltslt" <eltslt@cox.net> wrote in message
>I haven't been able to play the game at all since my system is so old and
> need to upgrade. Since I have been out of the loop from the current
> technology, I don't know if your card supports pixel shading. It is my
> understanding that it is a big factor for the game and if yours doesn't,
> that could be what is bogging down your system.
>
> "wazza" <wazzw@mindyerown.biz> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ma3rk" <m3dwhitney@att.net> wrote in message
>> news:D HwGd.30133$w62.21498@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>> > I've been away from the Thief series for some time and finally found a
>> > copy of Deadly Shadows yesterday. My system more than meets the
>> > minimum
>> > requirments but I'm having problems right from start up with the intro
>> > movies until I actually start a mission.
>> >
>> > The movies try to play at about 3 secs per frame, audio plays the same
>> > 1
>> > second segment then loops. I hit the ESC key to step past these clips
>> > the Load screen and once I get to the Options screen the cursor will
> only
>> > move in spurts followed by long delays before it will respond again.
>> > Arrow keys are similar. Extremely annoying to even quit the game.
>> >
>> > If I actually do start a game, then everything smooths out and becomes
>> > responsive again.
>> >
>> > I'm running a single AMD 2800+ MHz cpu under XP Pro with a gig of RAM.
>> > I've updated my video driver (NVidia GeForce FX 5700) as well as the
>> > on-board audio driver and have the latest Direct-X 9.0c. I've also
> applied
>> > the 1.1 patch to T-DS.
>> >
>> > I'm sure this has been discussed here in the past but couldn't find
>> > anything with what's still left on the NG server. What do I need to do
>> > resolve this problem?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > M.
>>

>> You should try here. http://www.ttlg.com/
>>
>> Your problem sounds the reverse of what it should be ;-)
>>
>> Good luck.

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 7:53:52 AM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 04:53:51 GMT Ma3rk said :

>The test video card button for the install says it's good to go. The readme
>file says it doesn't have problems with it either. Have the latest drivers,
>direct-x, etc. Plenty of CPU, RAM, pagefile & HD space too.
>
>Didn't find much relevant on the ttlg group either specific to what I'm
>experiencing. Just sent a request into eidos tech support so see what that
>turns up. Probably just something simple like a codec issue I hope.
>
>Thanks,
>
>M.

Grasping at straws here... Did you defrag your hard drive ?

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 3:37:50 PM

Yes, scanned & defragged. Pro version of XP.

M.

"Geneve" <a@n.com> wrote in message news:csfi7c0189e@drn.newsguy.com...
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 04:53:51 GMT Ma3rk said :
>>
>>The test video card button for the install says it's good to go. The
>>readme
>>file says it doesn't have problems with it either. Have the latest
>>drivers,
>>direct-x, etc. Plenty of CPU, RAM, pagefile & HD space too.
>>
>>Didn't find much relevant on the ttlg group either specific to what I'm
>>experiencing. Just sent a request into eidos tech support so see what
>>that
>>turns up. Probably just something simple like a codec issue I hope.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>M.
>
> Grasping at straws here... Did you defrag your hard drive ?
>

> --
> "If confused why this or that is going on."
> "I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 3:37:51 PM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:37:50 GMT Ma3rk said :

>Yes, scanned & defragged. Pro version of XP.
>
>M.

Two questions

(1) Did you try installing the minmalist project files?
After I added the files from a kind poster to the thief binary
group T3 runs faster now.

(2) In the back messages there was talk about a command switch.
Did you think about toying with that for booting purposes
to see what effect it might have?

#2 comes form trial and error days when I had a Ti-99/4a and
we tried all sorts of stuff even when logic said otherwise to get
things to work.

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 5:56:01 AM

"Geneve" <a@n.com> wrote in message news:csghih0tvi@drn.newsguy.com...
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:37:50 GMT Ma3rk said :
>>
>>Yes, scanned & defragged. Pro version of XP.
>>
>>M.
>>

> Two questions
>
> (1) Did you try installing the minmalist project files?
> After I added the files from a kind poster to the thief binary
> group T3 runs faster now.

I don't recall seeing that option when installing but to reiterate, it's not
the game itself that's the problem; just the cut scenes & intro clips. I've
still over 60 Gb free on that partition so drive space isn't an issue. I
did try an uninstall/reinstall, etc. but same problem. The video test
button was happy with my card and pixel projector.

> (2) In the back messages there was talk about a command switch.
> Did you think about toying with that for booting purposes
> to see what effect it might have?

I'm using the T3Tweak utility to bypass the opening clips so I can at least
play the game. That's still not satisfactory really as I have to bypass the
clips between missions & miss story elements.

> #2 comes form trial and error days when I had a Ti-99/4a and
> we tried all sorts of stuff even when logic said otherwise to get
> things to work.

Well, I've a tech support request in. After all I did buy the game so no
sense in not getting them working on the problem. I've tried the obvious &
asked around at the right places. Had no idea is was going to be a unique
problem. I knew from older NG traffic that the game had been problematic,
mostly from older, lower horsepower hardware, but never followed the threads
as I didn't have T-DS or an XP system when it was released. Always figured
when I finally did get around to the game, I'd just research any problems
then. So it goes.

Thanks for the efforts.

M.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 7:53:08 AM

I can't tell you what is wrong.......but can tell you it is not the video
card. I have the same type (although mine is an le ver.) and it works
great. I am running XP Pro on an intel celeron d 2.4MHz, and 768 mbs ram.

"Ma3rk" <m3dwhitney@att.net> wrote in message
news:D HwGd.30133$w62.21498@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> I've been away from the Thief series for some time and finally found a
> copy of Deadly Shadows yesterday. My system more than meets the minimum
> requirments but I'm having problems right from start up with the intro
> movies until I actually start a mission.
>
> The movies try to play at about 3 secs per frame, audio plays the same 1
> second segment then loops. I hit the ESC key to step past these clips to
> the Load screen and once I get to the Options screen the cursor will only
> move in spurts followed by long delays before it will respond again.
> Arrow keys are similar. Extremely annoying to even quit the game.
>
> If I actually do start a game, then everything smooths out and becomes
> responsive again.
>
> I'm running a single AMD 2800+ MHz cpu under XP Pro with a gig of RAM.
> I've updated my video driver (NVidia GeForce FX 5700) as well as the
> on-board audio driver and have the latest Direct-X 9.0c. I've also applied
> the 1.1 patch to T-DS.
>
> I'm sure this has been discussed here in the past but couldn't find
> anything with what's still left on the NG server. What do I need to do to
> resolve this problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> M.

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 7:53:09 AM

Have you looked at your virtual memory settings? if it is set to have
windows manage the virtual memory, it may actually slow down the performance
of the game.

"Ryan Oliver" <ryanoliver@warp.nfld.net> wrote in message
> I can't tell you what is wrong.......but can tell you it is not the video
> card. I have the same type (although mine is an le ver.) and it works
> great. I am running XP Pro on an intel celeron d 2.4MHz, and 768 mbs
ram.

> "Ma3rk" <m3dwhitney@att.net> wrote in message
> news:D HwGd.30133$w62.21498@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > I've been away from the Thief series for some time and finally found a
> > copy of Deadly Shadows yesterday. My system more than meets the minimum
> > requirments but I'm having problems right from start up with the intro
> > movies until I actually start a mission.
> >
> > The movies try to play at about 3 secs per frame, audio plays the same 1
> > second segment then loops. I hit the ESC key to step past these clips
> > the Load screen and once I get to the Options screen the cursor will
only
> > move in spurts followed by long delays before it will respond again.
> > Arrow keys are similar. Extremely annoying to even quit the game.
> >
> > If I actually do start a game, then everything smooths out and becomes
> > responsive again.
> >
> > I'm running a single AMD 2800+ MHz cpu under XP Pro with a gig of RAM.
> > I've updated my video driver (NVidia GeForce FX 5700) as well as the
> > on-board audio driver and have the latest Direct-X 9.0c. I've also
applied
> > the 1.1 patch to T-DS.
> >
> > I'm sure this has been discussed here in the past but couldn't find
> > anything with what's still left on the NG server. What do I need to do
> > resolve this problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > M.

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 3:33:46 PM

I checked that early on to confirm it hadn't gotten changed. It's still set
to a bit over 1500.

It seems that since the problem is only the cut scenes & clips and NOT the
game itself, it's got to be a codec or something with the utility that's
playing them. Hopefully yech support can sort it out.

> Have you looked at your virtual memory settings? if it is set to have
> windows manage the virtual memory, it may actually slow down the
> performance
> of the game.
>

> "Ryan Oliver" <ryanoliver@warp.nfld.net> wrote in message
>> I can't tell you what is wrong.......but can tell you it is not the video
>> card. I have the same type (although mine is an le ver.) and it works
>> great. I am running XP Pro on an intel celeron d 2.4MHz, and 768 mbs
> ram.
>>
>> "Ma3rk" <m3dwhitney@att.net> wrote in message
>> news:D HwGd.30133$w62.21498@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>> > I've been away from the Thief series for some time and finally found a
>> > copy of Deadly Shadows yesterday. My system more than meets the
>> > minimum
>> > requirments but I'm having problems right from start up with the intro
>> > movies until I actually start a mission.
>> >
>> > The movies try to play at about 3 secs per frame, audio plays the same
>> > 1
>> > second segment then loops. I hit the ESC key to step past these clips
>> > the Load screen and once I get to the Options screen the cursor will
> only
>> > move in spurts followed by long delays before it will respond again.
>> > Arrow keys are similar. Extremely annoying to even quit the game.
>> >
>> > If I actually do start a game, then everything smooths out and becomes
>> > responsive again.
>> >
>> > I'm running a single AMD 2800+ MHz cpu under XP Pro with a gig of RAM.
>> > I've updated my video driver (NVidia GeForce FX 5700) as well as the
>> > on-board audio driver and have the latest Direct-X 9.0c. I've also
> applied
>> > the 1.1 patch to T-DS.
>> >
>> > I'm sure this has been discussed here in the past but couldn't find
>> > anything with what's still left on the NG server. What do I need to do
>> > resolve this problem?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > M.

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 10:20:52 PM

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:33:46 GMT Ma3rk said :

>I checked that early on to confirm it hadn't gotten changed. It's still set
>to a bit over 1500.
>
>It seems that since the problem is only the cut scenes & clips and NOT the
>game itself, it's got to be a codec or something with the utility that's
>playing them. Hopefully yech support can sort it out.
>
>Thanks,
>
>M.

Hello, Another question came to my mind.

Some people like them. I personally only had problems when I used them.

Did you install one of those semi popular multi codec packs for watching

Divx/xVid Yada yada yada down the line ?

Geneve

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 2:35:53 AM

Yada, Yada, Yada codec? I don't think I have heard of that one. Must be a
next gen codec for some high-end or proprietary/legacy vid card! <G>

Lord Sin

"Geneve" <a@n.com> wrote in message news:cskjmk02ntg@drn.newsguy.com...
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:33:46 GMT Ma3rk said :
> >
> >I checked that early on to confirm it hadn't gotten changed. It's still
set
> >to a bit over 1500.
> >
> >It seems that since the problem is only the cut scenes & clips and NOT
the
> >game itself, it's got to be a codec or something with the utility that's
> >playing them. Hopefully yech support can sort it out.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >M.
>
> Hello, Another question came to my mind.
>
> Some people like them. I personally only had problems when I used them.
>
> Did you install one of those semi popular multi codec packs for watching
>
> Divx/xVid Yada yada yada down the line ?
>
> Geneve
>

> --
> "If confused why this or that is going on."
> "I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 6:15:34 AM

"Geneve" <a@n.com> wrote in message news:cskjmk02ntg@drn.newsguy.com...
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:33:46 GMT Ma3rk said :
>>
>>I checked that early on to confirm it hadn't gotten changed. It's still
>>set
>>to a bit over 1500.
>>
>>It seems that since the problem is only the cut scenes & clips and NOT the
>>game itself, it's got to be a codec or something with the utility that's
>>playing them. Hopefully yech support can sort it out.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>M.
>
> Hello, Another question came to my mind.
>
> Some people like them. I personally only had problems when I used them.
>
> Did you install one of those semi popular multi codec packs for watching
>
> Divx/xVid Yada yada yada down the line ?
>
> Geneve

No, not on this system. I do have a USB Joystick on that I'm gonna remove
though as a test.

I've had a couple responses now from Eidos tech support and have a couple
more things to try.

Updating the MoBo BIOS didn't resolve the issue. However, there's also a
chipset update that I'll try tonight. Updating just the BIOS alone
apparently resets the AGP video card to use the PCI bus rather than the AGP
8X.

So, digits crossed ...

M.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 7:05:20 AM

Woo Hoo! It's all working now.

Got a good info lead from Tech support to some specific threads on Eidos's
forums. Updating the BIOS and Vid & Audio drivers wasn't enough. There's
chipset drivers update as well that you need to perform after the BIOS
upgrade. Otherwise, the vid card sneakily doesn't use the AGP 8X bus but a
PCI one instead. Sheesh! Had no idea it could even do that.

I'm gonna go slink around in the dark now.

Thanks all.

> "Geneve" <a@n.com> wrote in message news:cskjmk02ntg@drn.newsguy.com...
>> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:33:46 GMT Ma3rk said :
>>>
>>>I checked that early on to confirm it hadn't gotten changed. It's still
>>>set
>>>to a bit over 1500.
>>>
>>>It seems that since the problem is only the cut scenes & clips and NOT
>>>the
>>>game itself, it's got to be a codec or something with the utility that's
>>>playing them. Hopefully yech support can sort it out.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>M.
>>
>> Hello, Another question came to my mind.
>>
>> Some people like them. I personally only had problems when I used them.
>>
>> Did you install one of those semi popular multi codec packs for watching
>>
>> Divx/xVid Yada yada yada down the line ?
>>
>> Geneve
>>

> No, not on this system. I do have a USB Joystick on that I'm gonna remove
> though as a test.
>
> I've had a couple responses now from Eidos tech support and have a couple
> more things to try.
>
> Updating the MoBo BIOS didn't resolve the issue. However, there's also a
> chipset update that I'll try tonight. Updating just the BIOS alone
> apparently resets the AGP video card to use the PCI bus rather than the
> AGP 8X.
>
> So, digits crossed ...
>
> M.

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 7:05:21 AM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 04:05:20 GMT Ma3rk said :

>Woo Hoo! It's all working now.
>
>Got a good info lead from Tech support to some specific threads on Eidos's
>forums. Updating the BIOS and Vid & Audio drivers wasn't enough. There's
>chipset drivers update as well that you need to perform after the BIOS
>upgrade. Otherwise, the vid card sneakily doesn't use the AGP 8X bus but a
>PCI one instead. Sheesh! Had no idea it could even do that.
>
>I'm gonna go slink around in the dark now.
>
>Thanks all.

That's nice to read.

By the way let me know if you ever figure out how to
dunk Gmal in the water by the docks. HA !

Just completed TDS again. First time with downloaded level saves.
That helped a LOT in my case.

The next time was with extra cheats but I sure had fun going on
a rampage and pissing off City Watch guards. :)

Geneve

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
January 20, 2005 9:04:16 PM

> Woo Hoo! It's all working now.
>
> Got a good info lead from Tech support to some specific threads on Eidos's
> forums. Updating the BIOS and Vid & Audio drivers wasn't enough. There's
> chipset drivers update as well that you need to perform after the BIOS
> upgrade. Otherwise, the vid card sneakily doesn't use the AGP 8X bus but
> a PCI one instead. Sheesh! Had no idea it could even do that.
>
> I'm gonna go slink around in the dark now.
>
> Thanks all.
>
> M.

Sounds good.
Though if the VGA card wasn't using the AGP bus, why did the game run OK?
Sounds like the AGP bus might have just been running at PCI bus speeds. I
assume the minimum AGP speed for your card is 4x, so maybe it was
effectively disabled. This can happen if you set the AGP aperture too low in
the BIOS, less than 16MB IIRC.

What chipset are you using?

Cheers.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 9:04:17 PM

> "Ma3rk" <m3dwhitney@att.net> wrote in message
>> Woo Hoo! It's all working now.
>>
>> Got a good info lead from Tech support to some specific threads on
>> Eidos's forums. Updating the BIOS and Vid & Audio drivers wasn't enough.
>> There's chipset drivers update as well that you need to perform after the
>> BIOS upgrade. Otherwise, the vid card sneakily doesn't use the AGP 8X
>> bus but a PCI one instead. Sheesh! Had no idea it could even do that.
>>
>> I'm gonna go slink around in the dark now.
>>
>> Thanks all.
>>
>> M.
>>

> Sounds good.
> Though if the VGA card wasn't using the AGP bus, why did the game run OK?
> Sounds like the AGP bus might have just been running at PCI bus speeds. I
> assume the minimum AGP speed for your card is 4x, so maybe it was
> effectively disabled. This can happen if you set the AGP aperture too low
> in the BIOS, less than 16MB IIRC.
>
> What chipset are you using?
>
> Cheers.

Beats me why it would work fine for the game but not the clips. The MoBo is
a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 Rev.2 and uses the nVIDIA 2 Ultra 400 chipset for
Memory/AGP/PCI.

M.
January 21, 2005 11:17:44 PM

<snip>

> Beats me why it would work fine for the game but not the clips. The MoBo
> is a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 Rev.2 and uses the nVIDIA 2 Ultra 400 chipset
> for Memory/AGP/PCI.
>
> M.

I have an Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 (nforce 2 also), thought I do tend to keep up
with driver releases.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 11:17:45 PM

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:17:44 +0800 wazza said :

><snip>
>>>

>> Beats me why it would work fine for the game but not the clips. The MoBo
>> is a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 Rev.2 and uses the nVIDIA 2 Ultra 400 chipset
>> for Memory/AGP/PCI.
>>
>> M.
>>

>I have an Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 (nforce 2 also), thought I do tend to keep up
>with driver releases.

This system is a P4P800-SE with a ATI AIW 9600 with one gig of system ram.

The video test said I could use a very modest video driver update. I ignored
that. The game is running pretty much fine except for the occasional
return to desktop without warnings.

Mentioning the return to desktop issue. I found that adding the Minmalist
and the other two things that were uploaded to the thief binary news group
seem to get rid of 75 % of the returtn to desktop issues.

Geneve

--
!