Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Picky ethernet cable

Last response: in Networking
February 10, 2010 1:54:43 PM

I recently purchased a 25 ft Ethernet cat 5e cable to connect a new pc to my network. And here is what happened.

1. Connected new computer, Windows says no network cable unplugged, no light activity near ethernet cable jack on back of PC.

2. Hooked laptop up to cable to test it and it worked fine.

3. Got mad and started preparing the computer for return.

4. Decided to test the computer with another ethernet cable just in case to avoid the embarrassment at the store of not performing a more complete diagnosis. Viola, computer connected to the internet fine.

5. Tried the new "faulty" 25 ft cable on another desktop and it did not work.

6. Ran another 25 ft cable to the new computer and it worked fine.

7. Tried the original "faulty" cable on another network "my house" and it worked on both my computers.

I can't find much about this and its bugging me. Any Ideas?

More about : picky ethernet cable

February 10, 2010 6:11:20 PM

What speed are the PCs running at? 100 Mbps or Gigabit? A faulty cable might work fine at 100 Mbps, but fail at Gigabit.
m
l
Anonymous
February 10, 2010 6:44:51 PM

A slightly unlikely possibility is that you've bought a crossover cable -- I've a feeling that if the computers that work have autosensing ethernet ports they won't be bothered but an older port won't work when connecting to a console (router etc rather than another computer).
m
l
Related resources
February 11, 2010 11:56:12 AM

All the PC's are running at 100 Mbps.

I didn't intend to buy a crossover cable. The description didn't mention anything about that. Cable didn't come with any packaging either so this is a possibility.
m
l
February 11, 2010 12:01:45 PM

It's easy to determine if you have a crossover cable or not. Put both connectors side by side and if the wires to each pin are the same color/pattern, then it's a normal cable. If the cable doesn't work properly, it might also be wired incorrectly.
m
l
February 11, 2010 7:07:52 PM

checked the wire colors and they match up so it looks like a normal cable.
m
l

Best solution

February 11, 2010 7:27:07 PM

I'd simply return it and get a replacement.
February 12, 2010 8:22:31 PM

got a replacement, and it works.
m
l
February 22, 2010 11:53:22 AM

Best answer selected by slowtype.
m
l
!