CHKDSK usage with a Intel SSD

Solution
This is the most common answer I find over in the business enterprise side of the market is:

"Never run CHKDSK on a Solid State drive. The partitioning and MTF are not the same as a standard magnetic drive."

I have never run chkdsk on my ssd's. chkdsk was designed for hard disk drives not ssd's.

Over here on the gamer and enthusist side of the market it gets kind of crazy. Visit enough forums and you will see all sorts of answers and opinions. It is not unusual to see posters go off on a tangent.

foscooter - chkdsk will run without causing any damage but it won't accomplish much of anything.
This is the most common answer I find over in the business enterprise side of the market is:

"Never run CHKDSK on a Solid State drive. The partitioning and MTF are not the same as a standard magnetic drive."

I have never run chkdsk on my ssd's. chkdsk was designed for hard disk drives not ssd's.

Over here on the gamer and enthusist side of the market it gets kind of crazy. Visit enough forums and you will see all sorts of answers and opinions. It is not unusual to see posters go off on a tangent.

foscooter - chkdsk will run without causing any damage but it won't accomplish much of anything.

Solution

poppasmurf

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Thanks Johnny,

it was one of those nagging thoughts that I have asked other hardware freaks

But they dont know the answer or it is mixed yes no maybe , but no one knows for sure without a question.

CruzinKatz

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I know that Windows 7 "turns off" defrag on a SSD. DOn't know about Check Disk.
g.php

iamfaithful1967

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

I was researching this thinking I had a hard drive problem which I might still have but I figured I would run this by you and see if you had any suggestions.

I have an Intel i7 3770k Quad Core on an Asus Sabertooth z77 Motherboard with 16 gb Ram. I have a Crucial M4 SSD and a WD TB drive running Windows 7 64 bit Professional.

Recently when turning on my computer I thought it was locking up on the sign in screen so I rebooted it and it would let me sign in. I realized recently that it was not actually locked up permanently, that if I was patient and waited 30-60 seconds it would work fine and continue to work fine. When I am typing the password, sometimes the dots show up and sometimes they do not but either way within a minute I am signed in.

Any suggestions? This is really annoying and I am at a loss.

quadcitynerd

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Hate to wake up an old thread but I dont think we have accurate information here. My Windows 7 just ran CHKDSK on my Crucial SSD on its own and it claims to have recovered 2 bad sectors. Checking the event viewer I see that the file system became corrupt and unusable which I assume is what prompted the CHKDSK.

The computer shut down normally and there was nothing to indicate a problem. The drive has been getting some good use but it is only 8 months old. I have noticed some slow starts the last month and figured something was wrong but no blue screens or other issues until today when I booted it and it ran CHKDSK on the SSD without my prompting the action.

I can only guess that saying running CHKDSK on an SSD is possible and problems can be found so if JohnnyLucky's statement that modern ssd's have a built in self-correcting feature someone needs to let MS know..

If in fact he is correct then how can I instruct Windows 7 U not to run CHKDSK on this drive in the future? Then again why was sectors found to be bad? I am confused???

shag00

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
CHKDSK does more than scan for bad sectors, it checks and corrects your file system as well which may be necessary to correct all manner of problems. I have a number of Intel SSDs and none have had a problem as a result of running CHKDSK. Don't sweat it run CHKDSK when you have problems you can't fix in other ways.