Monitors to for steampunk mod...

ironic_sobriquet

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
okay, I'm actually adding on to my existing rig,
looking for two new auxiliary monitors to compliment my syncmaster 305t
they will sit in portrait mode on either side of the monitor to keep reference photos or other documents up while I work on the main monitor...

but I'm also aesthetically minded... and a really picky fellow too...
that being the case, I'm looking for monitors that will have a VERY similar look to them... (I don't really care about the bezel as IT is getting covered up just as long as it has tactile buttons...) they don't need to be exact... I'm not that picky... just so long as the picture wont differ dramatically from my 305t
so that means a wide screen TFT active matrix with 6ms response time and resolution wise I'm looking for something around 1080p...

the other thing is that since this is basically an art project in a way... I also want the screens to have pretty much the same height (what I mean is that these monitors should have the same horizontal viewable as the 305t does vertically )

I've been poking around samsung's website but they don't seem to make anything currently that fits what I want...

keep in mind these don't have to be super high end monitors, they're getting steam-punked like my 305t...

I'll post exact dimensions later when I get home from work!

-Ian

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I am a welder by trade, with a technical theatre background and your post intrigued me. Were you planning on building your own monitor array mounts, or an enclosure of some kind? Just measuring my 32" display and some 22" across the room, I think you are looking about the 21" wide screen range. HP makes one that has a swivel for portrait or landscape and has a displayport input for ATI Eyefinity. Here's a link

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176098&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Monitors+-+LCD+Flat+Panel-_-Hewlett-Packard-_-24176098

I have wanted to build a 4 monitor array that will attach to the back of my desk, using theatrical lighting grid clamps (cheseboros), and aluminum round tubing with articulating VESA mounts.

Judging by your choice in monitors, you have more disposable income than I, and can afford to buy a custom array mount. I just wanted to wish you well with your design, and appreciate your vision of the ultimate workstation.

If you're curious how I did mine with two 19" and a 32" 1080p TV, here's a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8EusoPORfQ

ironic_sobriquet

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
that's actually pretty damn good, I'm surprised I missed that one...

not to sound like I'm ripping off of Steam Punk Aficionados Bruce and Melanie Rosenbaum, I was extraordinarily inspired after seeing the pipe organ computer which was shown on Master Modder: Jake Von-Slatt's Website, SteamPunkWorkshop.com

now, I'm not saying my projects will rise to that level of grandeur, but as the saying goes, shoot for the stars and hit the moon...

I'm planning on collecting odds and ends over the next few weeks to begin working by the end of the month, I'll post pictures when it's underway!

also, I'm taking an intro to welding class at my college and I have to say, it's one of the best fraking outlet's I've had in years... I just started on TIG last week and I love it! I think we might be getting into gas welding next week... should be fun!

and as far as disposable income goes, I'm starting a part time job with the census bureau next month (hopefully!) which will provide the disposable income I need to get this project rolling! if not the project will be suspended till I do have the funds to manage it...

thanks again!
-Ian

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Gas welding is a good one. If you are going to go purest, copper, copper and more copper. you might think about metal leafing, rather than faux paint finishes. If it was for theatre, it only has to look good on a fast horse at 30 feet.

Have a great time with your project, would love to see progress and complete photos.

ironic_sobriquet

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
how does leafing work? do you stick it on and then just blow over it with an acetylene torch?

my main problem with copper is that it will tarnish green... whereas brass wont... plus you get a much nicer golder color from brass rather than the dull brown of copper...

and I'll make sure to post pictures once it gets started!

-Ian

EDIT: oh and brass fixtures can easily be found at antique shops... then re-purposed for my needs
also I think I might use samsung's other offering http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001345
as it's about half the price... for about the same bang...

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

Metal leafing is done with "rabbit hair" glue, usually, depending on the surface. You can pick up gold, silver, copper, bronze, brass at arts and crafts stores. It is applied then burnished. It is used in picture framing widely. It can be applied to pretty much any smooth surface.

Brass and bronze contain varied amounts of copper so I consider it artistically the base. Brass and bronze, also oxidize and produce their own distinct patina, largely due to their copper content.

I am not familiar with the "steam punk" style, I assume it is the steam era of the late 19th and early 20th century, before the advent of the internal combustion engine. Probably of more European style. Could you send me a link to some reference.

I am just shooting from the hip here, no study. I just groove on computers, and model my set designs in 3ds max for concept, just an hobbist.

ironic_sobriquet

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
so it's sort of like metal glitter in a way? (less girly though :kaola:)

I actually came up with a decent sketch I think I may take to the mock-up stage... it incorporates the 100mmx100mm VESA mount on the rear of the monitor but with brass piping as the support, with spindly mechanical armatures to hold the auxiliary monitors coming off of the 30"
sort of like this:
_ __ _
|_|=|__|=|_|
||

EDIT: obviously my little diagram got messed up... but like I said, I'll post my sketches at some point tonight (maybe tomorrow)

I'll upload my sketches when I finish them...

and you asked what SteamPunk is,
well that is a rather odd question, it's sort of the artists interpretation, but traditionally it's an alternate history had we had the technological revolution at the same time as the industrial revolution, and then instead of electronic devices we developed mechanical devices to the level of the electronic devices we have today, but with a more victorian flair
for great examples, think of works like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea -Jules Verne, The Time Machine -HG Wells, Steam Boy (movie)... a lot of recent films have had some mildly steam punky themes thrown in, Tomb Raider (the one that wasn't Pandora's box...), Hellboy 2: the Golden Army, Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow (actually Diesel Punk... basically the same... just more art deco stuff in place of the industrial stuff...)

Wikipedia has a pretty good article on SteamPunk... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_punk

another thing that steam punk incorporates is Zeppelins... lots of them... fraking air ships galore! and massive submarines (like the Nautilus from 20,000 Leagues)

obviously it's sort of dorky and campy, but it's a fun style to add to your tinkering...

two of my favorite idea websites are:
www.SteamPunkWorkshop.com
www.DataMancer.net

-Ian

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Now it make more sense. I was talking with my wife over coffee and asked if she had ever heard the term. She pulled up the Wiki article, and all I could come up with is, wait, the era of steam power and electricity never co existed. Why would someone have a mechanical keyboard with an electrical lead?

I was relying on my knowledge from history and periods and styles from college many years ago. I do like the style now that I understand it. Mostly for the sheer craftsmanship which is so lacking with modern production. Thanks for schoolin' me.

I would love to see some sketches, when you have them. Sorry, I just don't keep up with the artsy stuff anymore.

ironic_sobriquet

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
it's alright! I thought the same thing when I first heard of it!
actually in my sketches (I'm taking pictures of them now) due to how a mechanical time frame wouldn't have electrical power (and being inspired by a 1916 Edison Phonograph which I got to tinker with!) I got innovative and thought of water and the pseudo-word "Plasmatical" and then looked at my 1960s era Soviet Gas Mask w/ remote hose that I have on my wall...
thought of using a NATO Standard gas mask hose as a wire shroud.

pics will be posted momentarily! (just need to rework the stand)

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I noticed that the 22" Samsung monitor you chose does not have a displayport in. If you are planning on running all three monitors off a single ATI card with Eyefinity, you will have to buy a separate ACTIVE DP to DVI adapter. They are about $100.

ironic_sobriquet

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
lawl, guess it wasn't last night...

Here is a shot of a potential design for the rear of the monitor
DSCF2440.jpg

and another that shows more minor details, the larger more detailed sketch is upside down... sorry
DSCF2438.jpg

and two support arm designs, one using wrought iron (which I don't like anymore) and the second using heavy duty lamp armatures which would be sanded down and aged with paints
DSCF2432.jpg

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

If you want to run 3, you need to use one displayport, unfortunately. From what I understand, it's an architectural weakness/feature.

ironic_sobriquet

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010

hey, thanks!
signed up for an account today!
seems like a cool crowd

what did you mean by architectural weakness?

thanks again,
-Ian