Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Another "is this PSU good enough" question...

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
June 15, 2010 11:22:15 PM

As the title says I know this is getting asked ALOT around here, but I thought one more thread couldnt hurt.

I have a feeling that my PSU is providing me with enough power. I cant explain why, I just think thats the root of all the issues I have after getting a new GFX card. This is the unit. Took me a while to find the (almost, mine is v2.0) correct version and while looking around the comments werent nice.

Using 5830 gfx, Q6600 @ 3.2, 4gb ram, 3 HDD's and 1 DVD-R.
I tried the PSUcalculator thing but that say much about the quality of my current gear.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

More about : psu good question

a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2010 1:00:43 AM

It's a little weak on the 12v rails.

What kind of problems are you having?
a c 127 ) Power supply
June 16, 2010 3:57:16 AM

Looked at the specs - what does "Efficiency up to 80%" mean? Would a 50% efficiency (up to 80%) be deemed acceptable? Or a 30% efficiency?

I don't like this terminology from a manufacturer.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2010 4:02:15 AM

That means the PSU optimal output conditions, are when the system is using up to 80% of the total power output.
a c 127 ) Power supply
June 16, 2010 4:17:10 AM

That should be stated in proper English by the manufacturer.
a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2010 4:21:11 AM

The better PSUs, will be rated as 80 plus gold/silver/bronze.
June 16, 2010 9:27:16 AM

Im getting "display driver has stopped responding..." errors and my system just seems a bit slower than normal after I installed the new gfx card. Not in games but in general.
a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2010 10:36:34 AM

NWA said:
Im getting "display driver has stopped responding..." errors and my system just seems a bit slower than normal after I installed the new gfx card. Not in games but in general.

It seems it is a problem with the drivers of the graphic card. I would reinstall them. Download them form the web to be sure you have the lastest ones.
a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2010 11:44:52 AM

I agree with Henry. That's usually caused by a flaky graphics driver.

If your system seems slower, you probably need to do some routine maintenance and malware scans.
June 16, 2010 11:47:38 AM

Tried reinstalling driver a few times with no luck so I doubt it has something to do with that. Unless ATI has released a faulty driver..

So my PSU should be good enough even for OC'ing cpu and gpu?
a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2010 11:50:02 AM

I don't think you'll have a problem with a slight OC. Just keep an eye on your temps.
a c 127 ) Power supply
June 16, 2010 12:32:08 PM

aford10 said:
The better PSUs, will be rated as 80 plus gold/silver/bronze.

Yes, agree! That is the proper terminology to describe a PSU. And if it is not 80+, let them just state the max efficiency, not "up to ---". Reminds me of "up to 75% discount" whereby, a 2% discount would still be within the advertised statement.
June 17, 2010 4:34:02 PM

Did you overclock the card?
June 17, 2010 5:20:27 PM

Yeah. 950/1100 so far
June 17, 2010 5:38:26 PM

One way to look at it is: If your PSU wasn't strong enough, then it shouldn't even POST... As another poster has stated, your V12+ rails are a bit weak ontop of that your OCing your card, Plus ATI's drivers aren't exactly know for stability....

I would say set your card to stock settings, and research the drivers for a "known" stable driver.... Give that a shot, and if it doesn't crash... Then your issue was the driver or the OC... OC it a little and "wait and see", if it crashes, there is your problem the OC.

a c 144 ) Power supply
June 17, 2010 6:01:04 PM

The PSU looks like it is an obsolete design (note the really heavy 5 volt rail) dressed up with passive PFC. And 34 amps, even if that is the maximum 12 volt current, is light for a 550 watt PSU. A 450 watt Corsair produces 33 amps. A 550 watt Corsair produces 41 amps.

tkrl26 said:
One way to look at it is: If your PSU wasn't strong enough, then it shouldn't even POST...

Not exactly true. While the system is POST'ing, it's under a minimal load and the graphics card is loafing along under a 2D load. Even in an older video card, going to a 3D gaming load will double the power it consumes.

If your system is resetting/rebooting, you probably have one or more of the following problems:
1. Unstable overclock. I don't like overclocking graphics cards. The temps run too high anyway.
2. Unstable drivers.
3. Inadequate 12 volt power.
June 17, 2010 6:10:10 PM

My system isnt rebooting. I get freezes and pixelating, then grey screen and then the "driver has stopped..." message. And it has only happened once while gaming. Also happened before i OC'ed my card.

About temps. Im only hitting 65 degrees after 20 mins of Kombustor and 2 runs of Vantage ;) 
a b ) Power supply
June 17, 2010 6:20:10 PM

Check the event viewer. If you're getting ATI errors in the system category, you likely have a flaky graphics driver.
June 17, 2010 6:29:37 PM

Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

15 of those in the last 24 hours...
a b ) Power supply
June 17, 2010 6:31:41 PM

Yep, that's the one. I was just working on a PC about a month ago. It had windows 7 and a 4870. They guy told me it kept freezing on him randomly. It was just an outdated graphics driver.

EDIT: version 10.6 has been released.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/catalyst-drivers-radeo...
June 17, 2010 7:07:20 PM

Already tried that with the same results.

I'll try later with all OC's disabled and see what happens