Another "is this PSU good enough" question...

NWA

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
As the title says I know this is getting asked ALOT around here, but I thought one more thread couldnt hurt.

I have a feeling that my PSU is providing me with enough power. I cant explain why, I just think thats the root of all the issues I have after getting a new GFX card. This is the unit. Took me a while to find the (almost, mine is v2.0) correct version and while looking around the comments werent nice.

Using 5830 gfx, Q6600 @ 3.2, 4gb ram, 3 HDD's and 1 DVD-R.
I tried the PSUcalculator thing but that say much about the quality of my current gear.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

NWA

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Im getting "display driver has stopped responding..." errors and my system just seems a bit slower than normal after I installed the new gfx card. Not in games but in general.

Henry Chinaski

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

It seems it is a problem with the drivers of the graphic card. I would reinstall them. Download them form the web to be sure you have the lastest ones.

NWA

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Tried reinstalling driver a few times with no luck so I doubt it has something to do with that. Unless ATI has released a faulty driver..

So my PSU should be good enough even for OC'ing cpu and gpu?

Yes, agree! That is the proper terminology to describe a PSU. And if it is not 80+, let them just state the max efficiency, not "up to ---". Reminds me of "up to 75% discount" whereby, a 2% discount would still be within the advertised statement.

tkrl26

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
One way to look at it is: If your PSU wasn't strong enough, then it shouldn't even POST... As another poster has stated, your V12+ rails are a bit weak ontop of that your OCing your card, Plus ATI's drivers aren't exactly know for stability....

I would say set your card to stock settings, and research the drivers for a "known" stable driver.... Give that a shot, and if it doesn't crash... Then your issue was the driver or the OC... OC it a little and "wait and see", if it crashes, there is your problem the OC.

The PSU looks like it is an obsolete design (note the really heavy 5 volt rail) dressed up with passive PFC. And 34 amps, even if that is the maximum 12 volt current, is light for a 550 watt PSU. A 450 watt Corsair produces 33 amps. A 550 watt Corsair produces 41 amps.

Not exactly true. While the system is POST'ing, it's under a minimal load and the graphics card is loafing along under a 2D load. Even in an older video card, going to a 3D gaming load will double the power it consumes.

If your system is resetting/rebooting, you probably have one or more of the following problems:
1. Unstable overclock. I don't like overclocking graphics cards. The temps run too high anyway.
2. Unstable drivers.
3. Inadequate 12 volt power.

NWA

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
My system isnt rebooting. I get freezes and pixelating, then grey screen and then the "driver has stopped..." message. And it has only happened once while gaming. Also happened before i OC'ed my card.

About temps. Im only hitting 65 degrees after 20 mins of Kombustor and 2 runs of Vantage ;)

NWA

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

15 of those in the last 24 hours...

NWA

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Already tried that with the same results.

I'll try later with all OC's disabled and see what happens