wubadee

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about building a new system in the near future with the newer ivy bridge + Z77 combo, but before I do I wanted to backup my system as quickly, effectively, and safely as possible. I'd like to keep my computer backed up as often as possible, as well. I was looking at Newegg and came across some different RAID systems, such as this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132015.

There's just one problem: I really have no idea what I'm doing, and no idea where to start doing research on this topic. I have no idea which RAID to use, or why to use it... I'm basically back in the stone age when it comes to using RAID technology. I do have a lot of technical skills and knowledge, but this is a new field for me. I'd like to know some basic do's and don'ts of system backup, and maybe even some way to implement my backup directly into my computer with minimal cost. Doesn't matter what kind of hard drive I use in the system, either (or maybe it does? I have no idea.)

More importantly, what the hell is RAID, and why do I care?

Thanks in advance,
Wub

P.S. Let me know if I need to post my computer specs, or if it even matters. Thanks again.

Solution
Let's say I wanted to stick a 1Tb HDD in my computer to back up my system... how would I do it? Would I even be needing RAID? I've got some good HDDs in mind, but I don't know how to implement it with my system. Should I use an eSATA port and an HDD enclosure? Sorry if this thread is in the wrong spot.

1TB or 2TB, your choice, based on cost. Look into Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB or Samsung SPinpoint F4 2TB. Both are very good. Else, Seagate Barracuda's. Even WD Green's would work for backups, I just don't like WD.

No on eSATA, no enclosure needed if you install in into your case.

If you are not comfortable with cracking the case open, then get an external USB hard drive. Some of them actually include back up utilitizes. Seagate...
RAID is NOT a back-up solution, it is storage solution. Depending on the RAID level, it could offer redundancy, speed, or both.

For a backup solution - look at reliable external hard drive(s), and suitable software. For system-level (bare-metal) backup and restore, you can look at Acronis, Norton Ghost, and even built-in Microsoft (in higher Windows versions).

wubadee

Honorable
May 4, 2012

Let's say I wanted to stick a 1Tb HDD in my computer to back up my system... how would I do it? Would I even be needing RAID? I've got some good HDDs in mind, but I don't know how to implement it with my system. Should I use an eSATA port and an HDD enclosure? Sorry if this thread is in the wrong spot.

Rather than getting a NAS, why don't you just install another very large (2TB) hard drive into the system?

Then set that drive up as your Windows back up drive, so it's seperate from the OS drive.

I use Microsoft SyncToy 2.1 to do manual back ups. I can set it the back up what I want, where I want. Then I tweak WIndows back up to NOT back up those things, so I don't have duplicate copies.

BTW: RAID stand for Random Array of Indepentent Disks. It how use use several drives as one faster larger drive, or duplicate a user drive, while using. Lots of other variations. If you want to know, here is is: RAID - Wikipedia

1TB or 2TB, your choice, based on cost. Look into Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB or Samsung SPinpoint F4 2TB. Both are very good. Else, Seagate Barracuda's. Even WD Green's would work for backups, I just don't like WD.

No on eSATA, no enclosure needed if you install in into your case.

If you are not comfortable with cracking the case open, then get an external USB hard drive. Some of them actually include back up utilitizes. Seagate FreeAgent or Hitachi Turio, or something like that. Look on "the egg" for external hard drives.

Solution

wubadee

Honorable
May 4, 2012

I'm definitely comfortable with cracking the case open, so I'll probably get a 1TB drive to put in. Thanks for the info on RAID as well, I've been considering throwing a 64Gb drive into my computer to make it as fast as possible for as cheap as possible.

wubadee

Honorable
May 4, 2012
I am not a fan of external drives. They can fail just as easily as internal drives. Flash drives can get lost etc. A secure cloud backup is the only way to go.

In my experience, external drives fail much sooner than internal (which I think has something to do with cooling.) Anyway, cloud storage is slow but secure. I use a cloud backup service, but still have a backup that I can recover from much quicker. Thanks for the input.

TRENDING THREADS