5850 psuedo-troubles

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Ok, first let me start by saying I bought the 5850 about 2.5 months ago for the configuration as follows

i5-750
P7P55D-E Pro
4GB Geil 1333 DDR3 7-7-7-24
intel x25 80 GB Gen2
Cooler Master HAF case
Windows 7 Professional OEM
ASUS VW246H

the graphics driver and the monitor driver are both up to date. when i first got this card i overclocked it to 850cclk and 1200memclk using CCC, and it worked fine and ran stable in any game graphically up to fallout 3. just yesterday i was playing Civilization 4 and massive artifacts started appearing, also the game suddenly froze and went black for about 15 seconds. after this the game resumed, with the artifacts still there. now one thing i must note is my girlfriend did turn up the room temperature to 90 degrees F. whenever i looked at catalyst it always showed the temp at about 56C on the card same thing in speedfan. now i turned the clk's back to stock and was playing crysis at full settings 1440x900 and it ran just fine... is it possible that my card just cannot overclock that high with CCC? might i have to use the BIOS to perform such an overclock? is the card faulty at such settings? or is it another component or driver of mine?

if you need anymore information just ask, i thank you kindly in return.

Solution
did you increase voltage for those clocks?

More than likely if you increase voltage a little it will fix the problem. Ive had it happen countless times when something seems to be working right and later on it doesnt...and yes temp increase could be causing the card to heat up alot more.

Run furmark at max settings and see what temp you get.

ryman546

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
did you increase voltage for those clocks?

More than likely if you increase voltage a little it will fix the problem. Ive had it happen countless times when something seems to be working right and later on it doesnt...and yes temp increase could be causing the card to heat up alot more.

Run furmark at max settings and see what temp you get.

Solution

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Most likely its just the overclocks were a little too much for your card when its as hot as it was without extra voltage. A little temp increase can cause big differences when it comes to stability and overclocks, etc.

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
i figured out that the temperature was fine, the problem the 5850 is rated for 110C. the problem was probably the voltage, as i couldn't figure out how to increase it at the time, i figured it out now though thanks anyway guys ill give best answer to ryman since he answered first.