Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New an optical drive or blue-ray for my new build.

Last response: in Storage
May 10, 2012 7:49:36 PM

In need an optical drive: I want to play and burn cds, dvds.

I was also thinking that I might as well go a little higher, and get a blue-ray drive. The blue-ray drive would have to be able to burn cds/dvds and play blue-ray dvds.

Is there adifference b/w a blue-ray driver and a blue-ray burner? If I had to guess; a blue-ray drive only plays blue-ray dvds but does not burn them, and a blue-ray burner can play AND burn blue-ray dvds?

Also I have read on Newegg reviews that some blue-ray players don't play blue-ray dvds unless you buy a proper software (meaning spend more). I though all you needed was the drive, install it, pop in a blue-ray and play it...I confused.

Pros: Price

Cons: Description should state that this Blu-Ray Player does not play Blu-Ray discs unless you spend another $60 - $100 on third party software. The Blu Ray disc included only has Blu-Ray utilities and other JUNK, NO PLAYER Software!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
May 10, 2012 8:19:40 PM

tomatthe said:
You will need software to play blu-ray disc on a computer, this was the same way dvds used to be. Good information on this in the link below.

http://lifehacker.com/5806252/how-can-i-play-blu+ray-di...

You are correct on the differences in a drive vs burner.

Awww...
So does the software come with anyof the blue-rays at all, or do you always have to buy them separatly.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
May 10, 2012 9:25:22 PM

AFAIK no blu ray drives comes with software to decrypt blu ray movies.

I had to get PDVD 10 ultra for blu ray support.

The only blu ray player that comes with built in blu ray video support is the PS3.
m
l
May 10, 2012 9:34:08 PM

Chainzsaw said:
AFAIK no blu ray drives comes with software to decrypt blu ray movies.

I had to get PDVD 10 ultra for blu ray support.

The only blu ray player that comes with built in blu ray video support is the PS3.

Wow...alright, thanks for the heads up. I think I might skip on the blue-ray for now...
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
May 10, 2012 9:37:12 PM

No problem, and good idea. IMO I feel ripped off paying 100 bucks for blu ray support...but that was a couple of years ago.

Damn $ony.
May 10, 2012 10:18:56 PM

Best answer selected by 123364.
m
l
!