bandit51

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Hello fellow PC Chips board users, I will ask this question 1 more time in the hopes that someone can lead me in the right direction in regards to my computer.
I have a PC Chips M810LMR version 7.1a that came originally with a 1.1 processor (thunderbird)
I have tried to upgrade my processor and it helped some, I installed an AMD XP2600 which should be 2000mhz but the best that I can get out of it is 2000+ with an actual 1566mhz, this of course is because I can't change the settings to be 1.67 v with 200FSB multiplied by 19.5.
I hear that I can lock the processor to set values by changing the location of the pins, IS THIS TRUE?????
I know that the optimization is low and this is most likely do to updates, fixes and other program updates.
I know as a matter that this computer ran just great 7 years ago before all this other fixes came about and I only had 512 of ram.
Now this computer has lost 23% speed regardless of what I do, the only way to make it run efficietly is to install XP-SP1 with NO UPDATES plus an old virus program, at this point it runs good and responds even quicker, I guess that this is progress :eek:.

According to the PC Chips website on your board, the CPU you are trying to use is not supported. The board only supports 180 nm "Palomino" Athlon XPs, the fastest of which is a 1.733 GHz 2100+. All of the 2600+ units are 130 nm Thoroughbred or Barton units and are not supported, hence the unusual operation of the 2600+.

If I were you, I'd just bite the bullet and get a cheap new computer for a few hundred dollars, which will be far faster than your current machine by a wide margin.

EDIT: I happened on some more information- some people are saying that some of the Thoroughbred-A units will work with this board (see here. Thoroughbred-As are at best 2200+s, so all 2600+s are Thoroughbred-Bs or Bartons, so they still are unsupported.

bandit51

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
:pt1cable:

Hello, this is veru unusual because I got my information from PC Chips, the only thing that might had happened hear is that somehow the vendor that send me the AMD XP 2600 CPU has send me the wrong FSB which I think would throw off all configurations I ordered a maximum of 266FSB but I think that I got 1 that is 333FSB which this board is NOT equipt to handle at full so it is running at 80%.
I have a friend with the same board and he has it reding out as 2600+ with actual 19.6mhz while mine reads 2000+ with actual 15.6