Please help with RDRAM compatibility

Hi,

I know this is old...I'd like to upgrade the RAM on a Dell Precision 350. It's got a P4 2.4 GHz processor. Right now I have 1 GB of RAM (4x256). I want to upgrade to 2 GB (4x512). I know I need PC800-40ns (400FSB) ECC memory. I see such modules available on ebay, but am wondering if they will work. Will pretty much anything with these specs (also 184-pin) work OK for me? Or is there only one exact module type I need to look for? I know I need matching pairs. There are also same but 45ns - will these also work (slower maybe?). I also see prices all over the place, some pairs for $39, and some apparently same pairs for $150. What's the deal? I don’t want to spend a lot on an old system, but at the same time don’t want to buy junk. Can somebody please help me out with this? Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about please rdram compatibility
  1. Should work, but there's no guarantee with dell boards. You may want to spend a little more and be able to return them if they don't. Crucial guarantees it's memory to work if you order from their website and use their configurator software.
  2. Thanks for your reply. Crucial doesn't do RDRAM, so can't go to them. I've seen it from other vendors, but the price is ridiculous - it doesn't make sense to spend that much on an old system. That's why I'm considering used - just hoping to make an improvement for a decent price, if possible.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Compatibility Product