Sign in with
Your question

Please help with RDRAM compatibility

Last response: in Memory
December 14, 2010 4:53:52 AM

Hi,

I know this is old...I'd like to upgrade the RAM on a Dell Precision 350. It's got a P4 2.4 GHz processor. Right now I have 1 GB of RAM (4x256). I want to upgrade to 2 GB (4x512). I know I need PC800-40ns (400FSB) ECC memory. I see such modules available on ebay, but am wondering if they will work. Will pretty much anything with these specs (also 184-pin) work OK for me? Or is there only one exact module type I need to look for? I know I need matching pairs. There are also same but 45ns - will these also work (slower maybe?). I also see prices all over the place, some pairs for $39, and some apparently same pairs for $150. What's the deal? I don’t want to spend a lot on an old system, but at the same time don’t want to buy junk. Can somebody please help me out with this? Thanks!

More about : rdram compatibility

a c 128 } Memory
December 14, 2010 10:24:24 AM

Should work, but there's no guarantee with dell boards. You may want to spend a little more and be able to return them if they don't. Crucial guarantees it's memory to work if you order from their website and use their configurator software.
m
l
December 14, 2010 1:49:23 PM

Thanks for your reply. Crucial doesn't do RDRAM, so can't go to them. I've seen it from other vendors, but the price is ridiculous - it doesn't make sense to spend that much on an old system. That's why I'm considering used - just hoping to make an improvement for a decent price, if possible.
m
l
!