Recomend a Good LapTop for about 1700 USD

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 13, 2004 10:16:25 PM

Can anyone recommend a good laptop for about 1700.
Last month I just bought an IBM T-42 that had a loose keyboard and had to
return it. Today I got a new one, same model, and it had several dead pixels
on the screen.
I called IBM and am not going to exchange again. This time I'm going for a
full refund.

Please recommend something in that price range.

Battery life and Weight (as light as possible) are the two main issues.

Thanks.

IS.
September 14, 2004 2:13:58 AM

IS <y@y.com> wrote:
: Can anyone recommend a good laptop for about 1700.
: Last month I just bought an IBM T-42 that had a loose keyboard and had to
: return it. Today I got a new one, same model, and it had several dead pixels
: on the screen.
: I called IBM and am not going to exchange again. This time I'm going for a
: full refund.

: Please recommend something in that price range.

: Battery life and Weight (as light as possible) are the two main issues.

If you are in the US, I recommend trying Costco. They have a Toshiba
A55 Centrino laptop right now for $1499, with 512MB, 80GB hard drive,
1.5GHZ Pentium M CPU, and a DVD burner. Costco has a six month "no
questions asked" full refund policy.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

dressed up ibook or low end powerbook, www.smalldog.com
"Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
> IS <y@y.com> wrote:
> : Can anyone recommend a good laptop for about 1700.
> : Last month I just bought an IBM T-42 that had a loose keyboard and had
> : return it. Today I got a new one, same model, and it had several dead
> pixels
> : on the screen.
> : I called IBM and am not going to exchange again. This time I'm going for
> : full refund.
>
> : Please recommend something in that price range.
>
> : Battery life and Weight (as light as possible) are the two main issues.
>
> If you are in the US, I recommend trying Costco. They have a Toshiba
> A55 Centrino laptop right now for $1499, with 512MB, 80GB hard drive,
> 1.5GHZ Pentium M CPU, and a DVD burner. Costco has a six month "no
> questions asked" full refund policy.
>
> Andrew
> --
> ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
> ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
> ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address

a b D Laptop
September 16, 2004 7:37:10 AM

Dell Inspiron 600m or Latitude D600 have similar specs to the T42. Whenever
you're buying mail order, you're going to have occasional quality issues,
whether IBM or Dell or Toshiba. At least those 3 companies will stand
behind their stuff--if it had been a Sony, you'd have been out of luck...

Someone else mentioned an Apple iBook. Got one for my daughter. Good
little machine, but also quality issues--had to return it for new main board
after 5 months. Again, at least they stand by their product--that's
probably more important right now than claims of quality.

"IS" <y@y.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a good laptop for about 1700.
> Last month I just bought an IBM T-42 that had a loose keyboard and had to
> return it. Today I got a new one, same model, and it had several dead
pixels
> on the screen.
> I called IBM and am not going to exchange again. This time I'm going for a
> full refund.
>
> Please recommend something in that price range.
>
> Battery life and Weight (as light as possible) are the two main issues.
>
> Thanks.
>
> IS.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 24, 2004 11:44:25 PM

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:16:25 GMT, "IS" <y@y.com> wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a good laptop for about 1700.
>Last month I just bought an IBM T-42 that had a loose keyboard and had to
>return it. Today I got a new one, same model, and it had several dead pixels
>on the screen.
>I called IBM and am not going to exchange again. This time I'm going for a
>full refund.
>
>Please recommend something in that price range.
>
>Battery life and Weight (as light as possible) are the two main issues.
>
>Thanks.
>
>IS.

I've had excellent luck with HP Pavilion ZV5000 series (512MB, 60MB,
15.4" LCD and everything else for about $1250 USD. Also, give a look
at the Apple iBook for about $1200 which will provide just about
everything you are looking for as well. It's actually easier to use
than Windoze.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 25, 2004 5:44:50 AM

I recently bought an ASUS M6n. Great specs, good reviews. 7200rpm
60GB HD, 1Gig ram, 64MB ATI Radeon Graphics, 1.5 M Centrino, and nice
& modest looks to boot. The LCD screen was noted for its quality too,
which helped me decide on this model. There are a number of reviews
out there so do a search if you are interested. I dont quite remember
the specs of the T42 but remember that I had taken a look at it at
some point when I found this ASUS. I think this might be a bit heavier
than the T42 but the M6n is relatively light compared to others w/ its
specs. I purchased mine at ynot2k.com and have been happy w/ the
service so far.

-Derrick
!