file sharing on network

I am having trouble sharing files between XP machines on a LAN. All the
machines can access the web thru the router sucessfully. However Network
places does not show the other machines. Map drives of a drive on another
machine does not make the files on that drive accessable. I even have not
been able to see files in the shared files folder.
All the machines are have the same workgroup defined.
Sharing used to work fine with these machines on WIN98se.
All the users should be considered trusted and freindly. I do not want any
restrictions to sharing.
How do I set up XP machines to provide EASY sharing? Is ther any ref
document that answers this question?
Help would be appreciated.
Hugh
2 answers Last reply
More about file sharing network

    check here:

    hth
    george

    "Hugh N. Ross" <bytewise@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >I am having trouble sharing files between XP machines on a LAN. All the
    >machines can access the web thru the router sucessfully. However Network
    >places does not show the other machines. Map drives of a drive on another
    >machine does not make the files on that drive accessable. I even have not
    >been able to see files in the shared files folder.
    > All the machines are have the same workgroup defined.
    > Sharing used to work fine with these machines on WIN98se.
    > All the users should be considered trusted and freindly. I do not want any
    > restrictions to sharing.
    > How do I set up XP machines to provide EASY sharing? Is ther any ref
    > document that answers this question?
    > Help would be appreciated.
    > Hugh

    Thanks for the good reference.
    Hugh

    "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > check here:
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm
    >
    > hth
    > george
    >
    > "Hugh N. Ross" <bytewise@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >>I am having trouble sharing files between XP machines on a LAN. All the
    >>machines can access the web thru the router sucessfully. However Network
    >>places does not show the other machines. Map drives of a drive on another
    >>machine does not make the files on that drive accessable. I even have not
    >>been able to see files in the shared files folder.
    >> All the machines are have the same workgroup defined.
    >> Sharing used to work fine with these machines on WIN98se.
    >> All the users should be considered trusted and freindly. I do not want
    >> any restrictions to sharing.
    >> How do I set up XP machines to provide EASY sharing? Is ther any ref
    >> document that answers this question?
    >> Help would be appreciated.
    >> Hugh

Configuration File Sharing Windows XP