file sharing on network

December 17, 2004 2:42:21 PM

I am having trouble sharing files between XP machines on a LAN. All the
machines can access the web thru the router sucessfully. However Network
places does not show the other machines. Map drives of a drive on another
machine does not make the files on that drive accessable. I even have not
been able to see files in the shared files folder.
All the machines are have the same workgroup defined.
Sharing used to work fine with these machines on WIN98se.
All the users should be considered trusted and freindly. I do not want any
restrictions to sharing.
How do I set up XP machines to provide EASY sharing? Is ther any ref
document that answers this question?
Help would be appreciated.
Hugh

More about : file sharing network

December 18, 2004 4:21:12 AM

check here:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_fileshar...

hth
george

"Hugh N. Ross" <bytewise@optonline.net> wrote in message
>I am having trouble sharing files between XP machines on a LAN. All the
>machines can access the web thru the router sucessfully. However Network
>places does not show the other machines. Map drives of a drive on another
>machine does not make the files on that drive accessable. I even have not
>been able to see files in the shared files folder.
> All the machines are have the same workgroup defined.
> Sharing used to work fine with these machines on WIN98se.
> All the users should be considered trusted and freindly. I do not want any
> restrictions to sharing.
> How do I set up XP machines to provide EASY sharing? Is ther any ref
> document that answers this question?
> Help would be appreciated.
> Hugh

Anonymous