Effect of Digital Cameras on Zoom Ranges

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 4, 2004 10:46:23 PM

Hi all,

I have just treated myself to a Pentax *ist DS having used an MZ30 for
several years fitted with a Pentax FA 28-200 zoom lens. This lens is not
designed specifically for digital cameras but the *ist DS contacts support
this lens. However does anybody no whether the zoom of this lens will be
changed? I have a vague recollection of seeing something that this lens on a
digital camera would be changed to something like 35-207.

Grateful for any thoughts

Jules
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 11:06:08 PM

Jules wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just treated myself to a Pentax *ist DS having used an MZ30 for
> several years fitted with a Pentax FA 28-200 zoom lens. This lens is not
> designed specifically for digital cameras but the *ist DS contacts support
> this lens. However does anybody no whether the zoom of this lens will be
> changed? I have a vague recollection of seeing something that this lens on a
> digital camera would be changed to something like 35-207.

The zoom won't be changed, it's still the same overall range (about 7X),
but because the camera's sensor is smaller than a 35mm film frame, it
crops part of the frame, and you get the equivalent coverage of a longer
lens. 1.6 is one of the more common crop factors; it means that a 28mm
lens will cover the same area as a 45mm would (28 x 1.6) on standard
35mm film.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 12:12:44 AM

"Jules" <j.pike@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have just treated myself to a Pentax *ist DS having used an MZ30 for
> several years fitted with a Pentax FA 28-200 zoom lens. This lens is not
> designed specifically for digital cameras but the *ist DS contacts support
> this lens. However does anybody no whether the zoom of this lens will be
> changed? I have a vague recollection of seeing something that this lens on
> digital camera would be changed to something like 35-207.
>
> Grateful for any thoughts
>
> Jules

The lens will remain a 28~200, digital won't change that. The FOV (Field of
View) crop is 1.5x with Pentax * ist D and * ist DS. the FOV of 1.5x so the
lens will look like a 42~300 on a film 35mm SLR. Simply put, because of the
smaller sensor size you are effectively making an 8x12" print and cutting
the central 5x7.5" from the middle...
Related resources
December 5, 2004 4:02:14 PM

thanks mat

"Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
> Jules wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have just treated myself to a Pentax *ist DS having used an MZ30 for
>> several years fitted with a Pentax FA 28-200 zoom lens. This lens is not
>> designed specifically for digital cameras but the *ist DS contacts
>> support this lens. However does anybody no whether the zoom of this lens
>> will be changed? I have a vague recollection of seeing something that
>> this lens on a digital camera would be changed to something like 35-207.
>
> The zoom won't be changed, it's still the same overall range (about 7X),
> but because the camera's sensor is smaller than a 35mm film frame, it
> crops part of the frame, and you get the equivalent coverage of a longer
> lens. 1.6 is one of the more common crop factors; it means that a 28mm
> lens will cover the same area as a 45mm would (28 x 1.6) on standard 35mm
> film.
December 5, 2004 4:02:47 PM

Thanks

Darrell

Jules

" Darrell Larose" <no@spam.here> wrote in message

> "Jules" <j.pike@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have just treated myself to a Pentax *ist DS having used an MZ30 for
>> several years fitted with a Pentax FA 28-200 zoom lens. This lens is not
>> designed specifically for digital cameras but the *ist DS contacts
>> support
>> this lens. However does anybody no whether the zoom of this lens will be
>> changed? I have a vague recollection of seeing something that this lens
>> on
>> digital camera would be changed to something like 35-207.
>>
>> Grateful for any thoughts
>>
>> Jules
>>
> The lens will remain a 28~200, digital won't change that. The FOV (Field
> of
> View) crop is 1.5x with Pentax * ist D and * ist DS. the FOV of 1.5x so
> the
> lens will look like a 42~300 on a film 35mm SLR. Simply put, because of
> the
> smaller sensor size you are effectively making an 8x12" print and cutting
> the central 5x7.5" from the middle...

December 5, 2004 5:44:03 PM

Darrell,

Having had a chance to digest your post are you saying that:

My lens on a 35mm film camera body will have a zoom range of 28-200mm but
the same lens on the *ist DS camera body would have the same zoom range as a
42-300mm zoom mounted on a 35mm film camera body and conversely a 42-300mm
zoom lens specifically designed for use on an *ist DS camera body would have
the same zoom range as my 28-200mm mounted on the *ist DS camera body?

Thanks for the advice

!