Your question
Solved

Good Budget Board

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
December 14, 2010 6:40:13 AM

My current CPU is crap I was going to update it a couple months ago, but had some problems that stopped it from happening.

Anyhow, I have an AM2 board right now, and a Athlon x2 4200+

The CPU work's fine, but it bog's down during heavy multitasking, and gaming.

So I'm looking to upgrade somewhat, now I can buy a phenom II x4 940 or I can spend an extra $35 and get a phenom II x4 945

Both will work in my current board, but if I get the 945 I'll need an am3 board. (Why pay an extra $35 for the am3 socket, when I am on an am2 board, easier to buy the am2+)

I'm leaning towars the am3 + am3 board, because my current board only has pcie 1 so upgrading would give me pcie 2 thus better gfx performance.

So what board would be good? I would like to spend under $150 (CAD) and get the best possible board. Sata 6.0 and USB 3.0 look good, but I see lot's of boards with them for ~$120 and according to reviews it seems like 1/2 are DOA. (Almost like 'too good to be true')

Anyhow, this is a board I'm thinking of getting:
ASUS M4A79T (Be nicer if it was $130 MIR never work for me...)
Or
Asus M4A88TD-V

I like the second board simply because it has HDMI out, sata 6 and usb 3

I'd like a board with 2 pci-ex16 slot's, in the future I'll probably crossfire my 4870. (Is dual x16 pci-e really necessary? Most board's I've found are 16x/4x in dual config. I've seen lots of benchmarks that show ATI's dont suffer that much in slower lanes, not to mention I dont need extreme graphics)
I'd like a board with 5 or more sata ports
I'd like a board with USB 3.0/Sata 6.0 (Not a huge deal if not)

Also, I dont know much about the memory. All these board's I look at, they show supported ram speed's and the max is always OC'd.

IE: 2000(O.C)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066
Does that mean I can use DDR3 2000, or does it need to be one of the supported speed's overclocked to 2000.

Anyhow I thank you guy's in advance and if you please can you use newegg.ca or MemoryExpress.com

More about : good budget board

a c 75 V Motherboard
December 14, 2010 7:10:37 AM

If I am not mistaken you current motherboard uses DDR2 memory which will not work on the either one of the new board you are looking at.

I would also look at AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black which can be unlocked to become a 4 core CPU at $99.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 14, 2010 7:40:43 AM

^^The unlocking of cores is pretty much dependent on luck.

Otherwise, AM3 boards would need DDR3 RAM's and i would choose the Asus M4A88TD-V out of the two you linked. I would say get the 955BE and overclock it out of the park.
m
l
Related resources
December 14, 2010 8:14:28 AM

Yea ddr3 is needed that's why I'm trying to figure out what board will give me best RAM and pcie options. Main thing I want is a stable board. I like all the overclocking things the asus boards have.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 14, 2010 8:17:00 AM

Budget for the board please.
m
l
December 14, 2010 8:18:23 AM

Under $140

Preferably Asus, but I've never had any other brand so I dont know what the quality is like.
m
l
December 14, 2010 8:30:29 AM

Well all those board's on newegg.ca are quite expensive.

I think I need to tweak my budget, to ~$130 seeing as I need to buy ram also.

What do you think of this board: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

I dont know, call me a sucker for marketing techniques, but seeing as I am clueless when it comes to overclocking, asus looks to be the better buy for me? (As it has noob oc options, real time oc, turbo button etc.. Haven't found another brand that has these features)

Edit:
What do you think of this?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Supports DDR3 2000
6x sata 6.0
2x usb 3.0
140w

Too good to be true for the price?
m
l
December 14, 2010 8:43:58 AM

The thing with newegg when I read the reviews it seems like no matter what board there is always lots of DOA's (the M4A87TD looks like it has much less than the other's ive seen)
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
December 14, 2010 8:48:53 AM

Spec-wise the MSI motherboard looks clean. But for AMD, i would prefer Gigabyte or Asus. Asus boards are great overclockers and in motherboard world they are one of the premier manufacturers.
December 14, 2010 9:16:32 AM

Well I'm thinking the asus is the way to go.

Now I've found the M4A87TD and the M4A88TD

The only differences I can see are that the 88TD has onboard video. Now if I plugged in my video card, wouldnt that disable the onboard video?

Another thing I noticed is the 88 lists:
24-pin ATX Power connector
8-pin ATX 12V Power connector

whereas the 87 lists:
24-pin ATX Power connector
4-pin ATX 12V Power connector

Will my current psu work (Will definately be replacing this POS soon.)

It show's that it has an 8 pin cable. Looking at my cabling, I can see a 4 pin cable not in use, and another cable plugged in. Seems like both these cables go together to make an 8pin(if needed)? Am I wrong?

So what I'm wondering is which board would be better to go with? Is the 88 worth an extra 10 bucks? (Not going to use the mail in rebate) If I wanted to use my T.V as a monitor could I use the onboard hdmi port, and connect my T.V? I already have a dual monitor setup connected to my 4870. (If not the 87 is probably the board to go with. Unless the 8-Pin cpu power connection will benefit me?)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 14, 2010 10:10:45 AM

The 880G chipset is better. When you connect the GPU, your onboard graphics will be ignored. So you are right about that. Also, Enermax is not a bad PSU manufacturer. It does make some good one's.
m
l
December 14, 2010 5:24:39 PM

Well the PSU is a good one, its just low wattage, ive used a bunch of psu calculator's and my minimum wattage should be 500. So I'll probably want to update this soon.

Anyhow, I ended up getting the x4 955 BE processor, and while I was on my computer I showed my parents this MSI board Turns out they ordered it to surprise me for Christmas. Theyre going to try and cancel the order for the 88TD but if not, what do you think of the MSI?
m
l
December 20, 2010 5:50:55 PM

What's the difference between the M4A88TD-V Evo and the M4A89GTD Pro.

It looks like the pro has a 4290 and the evo has a 4250 onboard video. It'd be nice to use hybrid crossfire, is the 90 > than the 50 by that much? Both these board's have GPU boost...

The other thing I noticed is the pro has dual PCI-E 8x 8x while the evo only has 16x 4x.

The chipset is also different (890gx vs 880G)

All in all, is the 89GTD pro worth the extra $40?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 21, 2010 6:51:51 AM

HaGGardSmurf said:
What's the difference between the M4A88TD-V Evo and the M4A89GTD Pro.

One is the 890GX chipset and the other is a 880G chipset. For differences in chipsets i think you should refer to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_chipsets

The 890GX chipset is better than the 880G. Personally for me, absolute winner is the the 890GX/FX in case of AMD.
m
l
December 29, 2010 10:58:48 PM

I'll hopefully be getting the 89GTD in the next few days.

While crossfire is not something I am going to be doing right away I may end up crossfireing. (Went out and bought an 850w psu today)

I will however be doing hybrid crossfire right away probably. I figure for the extra $30 this board is worth, it seems like the dual 8x pci-e is worth it...
m
l
December 29, 2010 11:00:14 PM

Best answer selected by HaGGardsmurf.
m
l
!