Solved

Computer shuts down

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Computer
  • Components
Last response: in Components
June 16, 2010 7:48:02 AM

Hey. I have recently acquired a problem when I leave my computer on, it will shutdown in about 15 minutes when the screensaver comes on. It also crashes when I run windows media player, and some other games. It does boot up automatically again, but it says there is a boot disk error, and it won't find my hard drive until I swap the sata port. I thought it was a heat issue, I do have fans to cool it. I thought it might be my graphics card, so I purchased a new one (which I wanted to do), I even changed my power supply to a bigger wattage. I am tempted of getting a motherboard which I don't want to do it's my last resort.

More about : computer shuts

June 16, 2010 9:11:18 AM

Could be the Hard Drive. Download HD Tune and run a test for errors.
m
l
a c 131 ) Power supply
June 16, 2010 2:57:36 PM

Check your Power settings in Windows. Reset CMOS to defaults. How old is it? You may need to replace your CMOS battery, most likely a lithium "coin" cell. CR2325 or CR2025 are two common sizes used, but check before you buy one.
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2010 8:31:48 AM

The system is about 3 years old. I resetted the cmos, and it still shuts down. Hd tune said there were a few warnings. I found another diagnostic for my hdd and it said that there were bad sectors, and it didn't finish the tests, it went to a bsod. So I'm now thinking a bad hdd? I don't have another hdd to test out this theory yet. Would just reformatting the hdd solve it?
m
l
a c 131 ) Power supply
June 19, 2010 1:04:19 PM

Maybe, maybe not, but probably not. It may offer temporary relief, but if you've had a crash, there are all kinds of nasty particles in your drive, just waiting to get between the head and the platter to cause another one (and likely flinging up more particles).
m
l

Best solution

June 19, 2010 1:52:09 PM

Bad sectors are bad. Your HD is dying. Replace it ASAP. Reformatting won't fix it, (notice when you try that it shows different sizes every time).

And the battery is a 2032 80% of the time.
a b ) Power supply
June 19, 2010 2:48:31 PM

misry said:
Bad sectors are bad. Your HD is dying. Replace it ASAP. Reformatting won't fix it, (notice when you try that it shows different sizes every time).

And the battery is a 2032 80% of the time.

yeah the hdd is a goner.
and yes people, its usually a cr2032
m
l
June 19, 2010 2:49:38 PM

When I get a new hdd, can I just copy everything from my old hdd to the new hdd?
m
l
a c 131 ) Power supply
June 19, 2010 5:06:41 PM

You don't want to do that, since some files may be corrupted. Install Windows and all your programs fresh on the new drive. You may be able to copy data files off the old one.
Yeah, forgot that one...CR2032...
m
l
June 20, 2010 1:11:21 AM

Thanx alot guys. And it is a cr2032 battery in the board ( which I am getting a new one).
m
l
June 28, 2010 5:34:02 AM

So just an update. I put in a new hard drive, installed win XP ( and transfered some of my data, had to download a bunch, but oh well), and so far no problems. Thanx again guys.
m
l
a c 131 ) Power supply
June 28, 2010 12:35:08 PM

Nice to hear it.
m
l
July 5, 2010 12:04:28 AM

Best answer selected by ded2day.
m
l
July 5, 2010 12:08:19 AM

ded2day said:
So just an update. I put in a new hard drive, installed win XP ( and transfered some of my data, had to download a bunch, but oh well), and so far no problems. Thanx again guys.

Thanks for the followup.
m
l
!