Trouble booting into Windows

Hematemesis

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
My system recently started having trouble after a made a minor change to the system. After replacing the IDE cable connecting my optical drives and adding a card reader to the system, the computer would fail to post. After talking to both the Asus and AMD tech support lines, I sent out my processor for repair which was then replaced by AMD with a brand new processor. However I still had the same problem when the CPU came back.

So after a little experimentation with the RAM, I discovered that 2 of my 4 sticks of memory were now dead and would cause the system to fail to post. Using the 2 functioning sticks, the computer will post, but Windows now takes 20+ minutes to boot, if it boots at all (which is only about half the time). The times when it does not boot it will just stay at the "Windows is starting" screen and never actually accomplish anything. Also when the system does boot, many of the programs have a tendency to stop responding (including windows explorer when I try to access my 2TB storage drives).

I have run a memory test on the 2 good sticks of RAM using Memtest86, and after 6 hours of constant testing no problems were found. I have also replaced the power supply, upgrading from a 550 Watt to a 750 Watt. I have reinstalled Windows several times, trying different hard drives in the process to rule out hard drive failure. I have never had trouble during the installation, only after the system is installed.

I have made a few other changes recently but did not have any immediate problems with them. I also upgraded to a new video card when I purchased the power supply.

I'm wondering whether anyone has any insight into whether the issue is related to the memory, the motherboard, or some other cause.

Previous System Specs. (at the time of the original problem):
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Motherboard: Asus M4N72-E
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Rev. C2 140W
Ram: 4x Patriot Memory 1GB DDR2 800
PSU: Antec 550W
Video Card: BFG Tech Nvidia 7900 GTX
Storage: 5x SATAII HDD
2x Optical Drives
Additional Components: PCI-E x1 SATA Raid Controller

Current System Specs. (with boot problem persisting):
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Motherboard: Asus M4N72-E
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Rev. C3 125W
Ram: 2x Patriot Memory 1GB DDR2 800
PSU: Corsair 750W
Video Card: XFX Nvidia 250 GTS
Storage: 5x SATAII HDD
2x Optical Drives
Additional Components: PCI-E x1 SATA Raid Controller

Hematemesis

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010

I have torn the system down to the bare minimum and the issues still persist. by the bare minimum I mean the motherboard, processor, ram, video card, power supply, and the hard drive windows is installed on. I just placed the motherboard on a piece of cardboard and connected the necessary components.

Hematemesis

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010

Yes I tried inserting 1 stick of ram at a time, that is how I identified which sticks of ram were functional and which weren't.

As far as that list of steps goes, I have identified the faulty ram that was preventing the boot and now I'm having trouble getting Windows to succesfully/consistently load. The big issue is the 20+ minute load times when starting windows, if it loads at all.