Monitor / Video Card Resolution Problems

EdHanson

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
This is a very strange problem, so please bear with me. I have a three-year-old Dell Dimension 9200 running Windows 7. The video card is a GeForce 7900 GS with two DVI-Out ports and the monitor is a Dell E228WFP 22" widescreen monitor with a native resolution of 1680 x 1050. It has one VGA-In port and one DVI-In port.

Recently, for some unknown reason, the monitor's DVI connector has ceased to function, as has, apparently, one of the DVI ports on the video card. Now the only way I can get video is to connect a VGA cable from the monitor to a VGA to DVI adapter connected to the card’s other DVI port.

I'm not exactly sure if this kludgy setup is the reason, but now I do not have the option to select my monitor's native resolution. I tried re-installing the video card driver but I still could not select the correct setting. There is an option in the video card control panel to add other resolutions. I added the one I wanted but when I selected it, everything on the screen looked distorted. Windows is showing the monitor as, I believe, a “Generic non-PnP Monitor”. I tried getting it to use the specific Dell profile, but the system said that it was already using the best choice, which I know is bogus. At one point, I even tried reinstalling Windows 7 but that didn’t make any difference either.

As far as I can see, there are only three possible culprits: the video card, the DVI cable or the monitor itself. I have already eliminated the cable as the problem because I tried a new DVI cable with no success. I have even gone so far as to order a new monitor from Dell but it will not arrive for a few more days, so I’m not sure yet if that will work. I’m just hoping I won’t have to replace the video card too.
I would very much appreciate any ideas or advice any of you might have.

Thanks in advance.