Monitor won't detect graphics card?

e1anator

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Dear Tom's Hardware,

I have been happily running on a homebuilt computer for roughly two years now. The other day I was dusting my components with a can of compressed air. I pulled out the graphics card from the PCI-E x16 slot as well as the two sticks of RAM that I have.

When I returned the components and turned on my PC, the light on my monitor stays amber and the message: "No signal input check video cable" is displayed. I have tried a number of things such as the following

1. I have tried pulling the graphics card out and re-inserting it again but nothing happens

2. I have also checked the card and the slot for any signs of physical damage, to which I can find no evidence

3. I have tried inserting the card into my brothers PC which has a PCI-E x16 slot on it's motherboard and his computer boots up fine

4. I have unplugged my DVI and AGP video cables from my monitor and graphics card and re-plugged them.

5. I have tried changing the video settings on my monitor but I can't seem to get a response from it. No menu or anything comes up when I try pressing the buttons on my monitor.

6. I have tried taking out my graphics card and turning my computer on without it, to listen for any beeps and to see if the computer does anything different.

7. I have tried resetting my CMOS settings and taking out the BIOS battery, as well as unplugging all the power connectors from the PSU to the motherboard.

8. Tried dusting the card and the PCI-E x16 slot with a can of compressed air, using short controlled bursts.

9. Checked the PCI-E x16 slot for any signs of physical damage. I have found nothing.

10. Checked to see if the fan on the graphics card is spinning. It is, so it looks like it has power.

My system components and specs are as follows.

PSU: Raidmax 500watt
Motherboard: Abit KN9S
CPU: AMD Athlon x2 4600 2.4Ghz
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 512MB X1650 Pro series (Sapphire)
HDD: Western Digital 250GB

As I mentioned above, I have tried my graphics card in another computer with a PCI-E x 16 slot, using my monitor and video cabels and everything worked fine. The monitor detected the graphics card and booted up into windows no problem.

I would appreciate any advice as to what else to try, as well as your ideas what the problem could be. My guess is that I have somehow damaged the PCI-E x16 slot on my Abit KN9S but I would like to get some second opinions. The board is roughly 2 years old so it can't just be old age (Can it?)

Anyway, let me know if any more information is required. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

beerhelmet

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
This is probably a dumb question for me to ask, but did you put the memory back on the MOBO?

I guess that also begs the question what kind of memory are you using?

If you have returned the memory back to the MOBO are they in the correct slots? Probably a good idea to check your MOBO's user manual for which slots they should be in.. and try booting the computer with only 1 stick.

elricthefullmetal

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
You put a lot of effort in doing this write up, so instead of bashing you for not referring to stickies, I believe I'll give you my two cents:

1) Take out your memory sticks, and put them back one at a time, If using one don't work, try the other. Similarly use all slots for single ram stick, try all permutations (You get the drift?)

2) If above don't holds, try using your bros display chord on your system.

Hope you get your system to run again.
Cheers!

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
What type of ram are you using?
Try taking out the RAM and sticking it in another PC, 1 by 1 and see if it boots properly.
Of course the mobo you are going to do this with must be compatible with the RAM.

This does sound like a RAM or video problem.

You can also try using the onboard video and see if its the graphics card thats the problem. Just plug the VGA cable in the vertical vga port at the back, with the graphics card out of the mobo, and see if you get a signal on the monitor.

e1anator

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Thanks to everyone that offered advice.

I took my two sticks of RAM out of the system and put them back in one by one, as instructed. The monitor is now detecting the graphics card and everything is working perfectly again. I can't thank you enough! Sorry for not properly referring to stickies; next time I'll try and be more thorough.

Cheers!

Shaun59

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Amazing,replacing the RAM one stick at a time worked using a random stick and slot.
I too got lucky and picked up a pair of 8800GTXs cheap and popped them into my old M2N SLI deluxe,
now im going hunting for a Phenom II 955BE.

Thanks all.