Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD 980 X4 BE 4.3GHZ "OC" Heat issue-HELP?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 24, 2013 4:34:42 AM

OK, I've got my 980 up to a stable 4.3ghz on a CoolerMaster 212 heat sink but when I go to 4.4 my temp shoots up to 80C +.. It runs fine at 4.3 but 4.4 is WAAYYY to hot? My board is the Gigabyte 990FX UD3, GTX 650 Ti SSC, 520W PSU, 8 gigs ram.. I should add, I pushed it to 5ghz but after running a program called Heavy Load for about 5mins I had to stop it due to almost 100C temp. What am I missing with the 4.3-4.4ghz or beyond jump?
February 24, 2013 4:51:46 AM

I dont understand how you get that i'm "confused"? I'm not a PC god or anything but i do know basic overclocking. Like I said before.. I ran a program called HEAVY LOAD for 10hrs "which is more than enough time, 24hrs is overkill" It ran stable at 1.5v and 4.3. BUT when I went up to 4.4 the temp went up by 15-25C.
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 24, 2013 2:42:53 PM

the numbers Belial88 gave are all correct. you dont want to go over 62c, and generally want to stay below that.
running prime95 isnt all about hitting a heat limit. the reason for running it for more then 10 mins, is its going through equations\calculations, as thats how the processor processes. you may not find instability until you hit a particular equation. so running it longer increases the chance of finding possible error.

I had the 970 be, with the same board, and hsf. I was Lucky(?) to get 4.2ghz. my max temps after 9 hours prime got to 58c.
Score
Related resources
February 24, 2013 7:11:17 PM

Mt Power said:
the numbers Belial88 gave are all correct. you dont want to go over 62c, and generally want to stay below that.
running prime95 isnt all about hitting a heat limit. the reason for running it for more then 10 mins, is its going through equations\calculations, as thats how the processor processes. you may not find instability until you hit a particular equation. so running it longer increases the chance of finding possible error.

I had the 970 be, with the same board, and hsf. I was Lucky(?) to get 4.2ghz. my max temps after 9 hours prime got to 58c.

Oh so that's why I should run prime95 for 24 hours.. I didn't know that, thank you. What happens when/if it runs into an error? Blue screen or what? I did run prime95 for a few hours today at 4.4ghz but it got dangerously high "70c+" so i stopped it. Would you recommend just sticking to 4.2ghz and calling it a day? Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I'm here to learn :) 
Score

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
February 24, 2013 7:58:24 PM

hey,

yeah no worries, we are all learning :) 

honestly i would drop it down to 4.2ghz, if it were me.

as for errors while running it. generally core failure, and bsod are voltage related. remember try to keep the voltage as low as possible. under 1.5v for that cpu, i believe. you could get the over clock higher but would require better cooling.

as for prime95. I generally run it for 30mins, just see if its, off hand stable. once i feel i have it in a "good" place i run longer tests. I have run it for 8-9 hours on three occasions. first time passed. second time I got a core error in the ninth hour. last time it passed (after i made a voltage adjustment) I have yet to run a more then 12 hour test on it yet :o  as i am waiting to go on this vacation, and run it then.

post back if you need more help. good luck!
February 25, 2013 2:26:21 AM

Mt Power said:
hey,

yeah no worries, we are all learning :) 

honestly i would drop it down to 4.2ghz, if it were me.

as for errors while running it. generally core failure, and bsod are voltage related. remember try to keep the voltage as low as possible. under 1.5v for that cpu, i believe. you could get the over clock higher but would require better cooling.

as for prime95. I generally run it for 30mins, just see if its, off hand stable. once i feel i have it in a "good" place i run longer tests. I have run it for 8-9 hours on three occasions. first time passed. second time I got a core error in the ninth hour. last time it passed (after i made a voltage adjustment) I have yet to run a more then 12 hour test on it yet :o  as i am waiting to go on this vacation, and run it then.

post back if you need more help. good luck!

Thank you for your help, I'm gonna play around more so I'm sure i'll need your input again :) 
Score
February 25, 2013 2:29:10 AM

Quote:
The issue is that how in the world do you get that 80*C or 5ghz is what you should do on a Phenom deneb. It would be impossible that you used any possible googling at all and figured that out.

Quote:
What happens when/if it runs into an error? Blue screen or what?

Instability can occur in many different ways but they are all obvious. Blue screen, crashes, resets, you'll know. It's never vague.

Quote:
Would you recommend just sticking to 4.2ghz and calling it a day? Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I'm here to learn

4.2ghz is considered the maximum 24 hour prime95 stable overclock on c3 revision denebs, which is what you have (the Phenom X4 980 is not a unique CPU, it's called a Deneb, and it's the c3 version of the deneb. It's the exact same CPU as the 955, 965, 975, etc, they are all the same. It's even the same CPU as the phenom x2 555, phenom x3, etc).

I simply asked why it jumped so high in temp bro, calm down with the quotes and sillyness. Oh and I dont google important stuff cause im weetaarded. :non: 
Score
March 5, 2013 12:58:16 AM

Best answer selected by BigNate.
Score
!