Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Failed overclocking problem in past, want to try again but concerned the problem

Last response: in Overclocking
February 24, 2013 5:19:17 AM

Hello,

In the past I tried to overclock my i3-550 with a 10% overclock by upping the clock base, my first ever overclock attempt. Anyways it screwed up, computer turned off and on several times, then when the system told me that the overclock had failed it let me return to my default settings... So then I went on to my computer like nothing had happened but the internet connection and internet related OS features were SCREWED. I couldn't even use ipconfig because an internal error occurred. Any ways I just "upgraded" windows back to XP which it already was and everything went OK again, but the internet would disconnect frequently. Anyways I just built a new computer with an i5-3570k and an Asus p8z77-v pro mobo and I was wondering if I should try again... I have no idea what went wrong the first time and I would hate for this significantly more expensive system to break down like that. Please give me some suggestions on how I could push an overclock without having to worry about something awful like that again!

Thanks,
Rywais
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 24, 2013 5:34:36 AM

That model CPU isn't made to overclock.. its locked and i mean locked down.. the only CPU's i know of that would allow you to overclock in that generation were the extreme CPU's

As for your new setup, heck yea you can overclock. K's are begging to be overclocked.. just make sure you use proper cooling (Not stock heatsink)
m
l
February 24, 2013 5:37:20 AM

Rockdpm said:
That model CPU isn't made to overclock.. its locked and i mean locked down.. the only CPU's i know of that would allow you to overclock in that generation were the extreme CPU's

As for your new setup, heck yea you can overclock. K's are begging to be overclocked.. just make sure you use proper cooling (Not stock heatsink)

So is there a way I should go about overclocking then? O.o
I'm sorry I just don't know how to go about it?
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2013 5:37:24 AM

Rockdpm said:

So is there a way I should go about overclocking then? O.o
I'm sorry I just don't know how to go about it?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 24, 2013 1:26:33 PM

Well basically as long as you have a decent Z77 board, just change the multiplier in the BIOS
March 5, 2013 8:55:44 PM

Best answer selected by Rywais.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2013 12:35:17 AM

Hope you found the answer you were looking for, Let me know if u run into issues
m
l
!