Full config + PSU Recommendation

SeF

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
I'm getting the Corsair 450VX because is very recommended. Will be enough?

I5 750
P7P55D PRO
2x DDR3 2GB RAM
5770 Vapor-X 1GB
3 HDDs (2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 for Raid0 + 1 WD Caviar Green for storage/backup)
1 DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive
Wi-Fi LAN Adapter

Still deciding the case, but will have 3~6 fans/LED fans (Possible choices: HAF 922, CM-690 or NXTZ Tempest EVO)

I did the PSU Calculation here: http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Results:
System Type: 1 physical CPU
Motherboard: Regular - Desktop
CPU: Intel Core i5-750 2667 MHz Lynnfield
CPU Utilization (TDP): 90% TDP

RAM: 2 Sticks DDR3 SDRAM
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770
Video Type: Single Card

Regular SATA: 3 HDDs

DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive
Additional PCI Card (avg): 1 Card

USB: 2 Devices

Fans
Regular: 1 Fan 80mm; 2 Fans 120mm;
LED: 1 Fan 120mm;

Keyboard and mouse: Yes

System Load: 90 %

Capacitor Aging (+ W %): 10 %

Recommended Wattage: 355 Watts

I've added a couple of USB (future stuffs like Joysticks etc)

Hi

Here are the system requirements for the 5770.

ATI Radeon™ HD 5770 System Requirements

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products
Minimum 1GB of system memory
Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
DVD playback requires DVD drive
Blu-ray™ playback requires Blu-ray drive
For an ATI CrossFireX™ system, a second ATI Radeon™ HD 5770 graphics card, an ATI CrossFireX Ready motherboard and one ATI CrossFireX Bridge Interconnect cable per graphics card (included) are required

The recommended PSU is for the entire system.

The Corsair could be enough but it's a little in the limit and if u want futures upgrades like Crossfire or a better GPU u will need get another PSU.

This PSUs are very good:

1- Antec TruePower New TP-550 550W
2- CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W
3- Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W
4- CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX 650W
5- CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W

The last 650W PSUs are for big future upgrade but a 550W is enough for the rig that u currently have.

Hello SeF;
You sized the PSU correctly for the items you listed.

Did you consider the possibility of a 2nd video card? Or a single more powerful future upgrade video card?
Your motherboard would support 2x 5770 in Crossfire mode.
Also since the i5-750 overclocks so well you might want consider factoring that in as well - in case you want to try later.
Use Vcore 1.45v and 4.0GHz values.
It might be a smart move to size the PSU for those possibilities now.

SeF

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I don't pretend to CrossFire and about OverClocking, maybe 3.2Ghz at the i5 750 in the future.
Between 450VX and 550VX, which has better quality?
I've read that 450VX is built by Seasonic and 550VX by CWT and also that Seasonic is better than CWT. It's true?

You're correct about the 450VX = Seasonic and 450VX being ChannelWell. Seasonic has the better reputation but CW does really well and the 550VX is a top PSU in it's 550W range.
What are the price differences you're looking at?
If you're certain you won't be going with a 2nd 5770 or using a future video card like something with the power requirement of the current 5870 then the 450VX will get the job done for you.

SeF

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
I will choose Corsair's PSU then.

I guess that my real doubt is to choose between Seasonic and ChannelWell. :lol:

What about 520HX?
I've read that is Seasonic and is modular too. There are other significant differences between VX and HX series?

----

I've tryed Vcore 1.45v and 4.0GHz values and the W value increased a lot! (355 to 424). I didn't know that OverClocking would need that much of W.
I don't know how to overclock very well. If I want to OverClock over to 3.20Ghz (I guess that is the value I need to make my DDR3 RAM run at 1600Mhz, right?), which Overclocked Vcore value should I put?

SeF

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions joeyck, but I will stick to the Corsairs... It's easier/cheaper in my country :sarcastic:

-------

And I will choose Seasonic's manufactuer too.

So, my real doubt now it's between 450VX and 650TX.
What are the main technical differences between then? (Besides the "power" in Watts, of course! :lol: )

I've read (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article813-page5.html) that is quieter than 450VX while using 300~400W. But, It seems that it has higher temperatures than 450VX.

You should be able to get 3.2Ghz OC on stock 1.25v.

Usually when a PSU is quieter, but hotter, it's because the fan is turning slower at that level of power production.

I think you're 'over-analyzing' the differences between the 450 and 550 Corsair models.
Honestly, it's not worth the effort you're putting into it.

Nowa

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006

The VX series of Corsair is more of "Value" oriented while the HX system is the "Enthusiast" part. HX being a somewhat higher quality it also has multi GPU capabilities and modular (detachable) cabling. Both VX and HX series are very good quality power supplies though.

I also have the I5-750 CPU and yes you need to overclock the CPU to 3,2Ghz to get the memory sticks to run at 1600Mhz. I am running it with a little less 1.2V Vcore, ~1,16V according top CPU-Z, and it's perfectly stable. Of course every chip behaves differently and you might need some more volts to get it stable :)