Cooling problem

Snet

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Hi

I have a cooling issue. I had an intel stock cooler which was giving temp as 42 degrees, I decided to replace it with the arctic freezer 7 pro.

The temp still stays at 42 degrees. and on use it climbes to a max of 56 degrees. I thought it was the paste whic I replaced with my own.

The strangest thing is Windows is reporting the temp different from bios.

The free sys tool from piriform measures the cores temp seperatly and works out the average temp. The temp it worked was 37 degrees but bios showed difference

My specs

Asus P5KSE/EPU Mainboard
Windows 7 Ultimate
2 GB Dual Channel DDR2 667 RAM
500 GB WD500 Western Digital Sata HDD
LG DVD Writer Non lightscribe
Arctic cooler 7 Heatsink
E3300 Celeron Dual Core CPU
Isonic 789 Case with side panel
400 Watt PSU
9400 GT Nvidia Graphics PCI Express

I wanted the bios to read 28 degrees on idle if possible, what Iam I doing wrong? I cannot understand why the temp

Art_73

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Just to follow up on your concern about the heat sink compound. What brand is it? Tell me a bit about how much you are using and if you meticulously cleaned the CPU and heat sink before applying the new compound.
Finally, tell me how you installed your new heat sink such that the interface between the heat sink and CPU is flush and snug fitting. Just a bit of tilt can result in significantly less contact area and ability to sink heat. A symptom of this is a reduced capability to cool at idle and significantly less dynamic temperature control under load.
I am not remarkably interested in different programs yielding different measurements for now. Let's use the same mechanism/software that you used originally to determine your CPU temperature.
Once we have determined that the installation is correct it should be possible to acquire heat sink performance data to compare the stock Intel cooler with your new one and project operating temperature from that.
-a

I would agree with both comments, and silver based thermal compound is a better conductive choice. In addition,it takes a week or two for the compound to set and to reach its optimum conductive state {-2~-5C}. Your temps are not considered high.

I assume that your BIOS is set to control the CPU fan speed; I know both the MOBO and Fan are 4-pin.

BIOS:
CPU Q-Fan {Enabled}
CPU Fan Profile {Optimal} ; {Performance Mode} is the coolest & noisiest.

Snet

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
I tried Optimal , doesn't work, My Bios still reports 42 degrees idle, How come regarding a stock cooler , the temps are bit lower than Arctic silver cooler. At one stage the PC reached 50 degrees on the freezer 7 cooler. Is it possible that a dual core gets hotter than a normal celeron D Processor.

I use this compound with all my CPU coolers http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/30233727/CPU_PASTE_PROCESSOR_PASTE_X_10_pc.html I have a HT PC which runs cooler than my E3300.

I also use the same compound for my Arctic silver cooler, is this bad paste? I have never had trouble with the paste like this before?

Art_73

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Hi Snet,
I'm not familiar with that paste or the thermal conductivity measurement they state on their ad. However, if we can assume the specification tracks with W/mK it is in the ball park. (from my notes: MX-4 = 8.5, NT-H1 = 8.5, ZMSTG2 = 4.1, PK-1 = 10.2 (higher is better)). That being said I use generic heat sink compound for just about every heat sink interface I build including power supply and RF or audio active devices. I am now assuming your paste was at least in the same range as those I have cited. The physical interface is important at this point and I would like to know how certain you are that your heat sink and cpu are precisely aligned and you have a *thin* coating of paste on them. The dynamic performance of your thermal system is the area that concerns me vs the idle temp and is why I am asking this question.
That being said my i7 runs at 42 +/- 1 whether I am idling or gaming. I run a *large* heat sink with liquid cooling.
Just out of curiosity I wonder if those reading this (with i7s or E3300s) would take a quick look at their CPU temp and report it. . . . I'll compile the information and make an average mean std dev chart if there's enough data.
-a

Art_73

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Let me add a couple conditions to the survey. Please report temp at idle and temp when you know you are stressing your CPU. It won't be as accurate as defining the load parameters but should still give us data to work with. . . .
-a

Snet

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Hi, It is at the latest when I downloaded it, What CPU paste do you recommened to get the best peformance. as the idel temp is 42-45, the stress is 50-55 degrees centigrade which is hot. I have seen other CPU's in the simliar range that are cooler than this.