Need advice on small budget HTPC ($400-550)

jdog101

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Howdy all. I am a noob looking to build a basic HTPC. I would like a good sized HD (1TB or so). Not expecting anything too extreme for performance. Ability to use as a DVR down the road would be great too. Thanks for any help.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: like to start the build in the next 2 weeks
BUDGET RANGE: 400-550 Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Streaming video(Hulu, Netflix,...), OTA TV, Surfing the internet, Blu-Ray playback, Music & Movie Storage

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor (will hook up through HDMI to Panasonic 50" 720P plasma), Speakers (run through receiver)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Would prefer Newegg, Tiger Direct, or other well known & trusted sites
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: I would prefer a case to fit in with receiver and other AV components

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 720P

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This will go in an enclosed AV rack, so need good cooling. ATSC tuner with HDMI out preferred. I am not too picky about brands, just want the best product for the price.

On the lower end of that budget spectrum:
lhab.jpg

kjhl.jpg

jdog101

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion. After doing some more research think I need to up my budget to around $600-650 and probably look at going full ATX for the cooling and ability to upgrade and add on in the future.