Sign in with
Your question

Dual 2gb ati radeon 5970's in crossfire or dual gtx 480's in sli

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 18, 2010 4:08:55 PM

Hello, which will be better, dual 2gb ati radeon hd 5970's running in crossfire or dual gtx 480's running in sli. Getting ready to buy a new rig and want to know which will be better. I have always used nvidia. Which cards have better drivers and which company, nvidia or ati updates thekr drivers the fastest.
March 18, 2010 4:36:18 PM

badboy222 said:
Hello, which will be better, dual 2gb ati radeon hd 5970's running in crossfire or dual gtx 480's running in sli. Getting ready to buy a new rig and want to know which will be better. I have always used nvidia. Which cards have better drivers and which company, nvidia or ati updates thekr drivers the fastest.

At CES (i think it was ces) nvidia showed off a special case required to do sli with the fermi cards b/c of the amount of heat ther produce. Just something to keep in mind.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2010 5:02:08 PM

Well, a single 5970 should (according to all the rumors we've heard) handily beat the GTX480. Drivers and updates are up and down with both companies. Personally, Ive had no issues with ATI drivers lately, and have had a couple with Nvidia, but neither are perfect. I know ATI updates their drivers with a new WHQL driver every month, with some beta drivers thrown in. Not sure how Nvidia schedules things now, but yeah. As of right now ATI is performing better with hardware.
Overall though, you have a week and a bit till Fermi releases- just wait and see what they can do and then decide.
m
l
Related resources
March 18, 2010 5:06:48 PM

neither of the setups mate.

go for 5970+5850trifire which will most likely beat gtx480sli by abit and cost roughly the same.
atis drivers have improved over the time !
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2010 5:13:43 PM

If you are gonna go that way whemian, why not just go with a 5970, overclocked to 5870 speeds, trifired with a 5870. much better match because it would be 3 identical GPU's instead of just having the same clock, but less SPs and stuff on the 5850.
m
l
March 18, 2010 5:19:45 PM

whemian said:
neither of the setups mate.

go for 5970+5850trifire which will most likely beat gtx480sli by abit and cost roughly the same.
atis drivers have improved over the time !

How is that possible?? :o 
m
l
!