Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PSU upgrade recommended?

Last response: in Components
June 16, 2010 5:35:44 PM

Hi Everyone,

I've had some difficulty with my computer lately, unfortunately, and I've been reading topics for the past few days and everyone here seems very helpful. With that in mind, I'm hoping that someone can give some sound advice. Here's my situation.

I have an Acer Aspire E380 that I've had for a while, and I'm not really looking to upgrade for any performance needs, just 1080p video and some light gaming. With a recent unfortunate bios flashing incident that rendered my bios pretty much useless, I'm going to try and upgrade on a budget. I'm trying not to spend a lot of money, being a broke college student, so I'm trying to keep everything on the existing 300w dual-rail psu rated at 12v1-10A and 12v2-13A.

With this in mind, I've purchased some cheap upgrades online (Newegg deals!) and I was wondering if I should upgrade my psu. I've purchased an EGS G41T-M(2.0) mobo (I'll probably be running 4Gb 667 Ram in a 2x2Gb config), an Intel Celeron 2.5GHz Dual Core, 45nm and 65w rating, and a Geforce GT 240. I'll be using my stock 3 Gb/s SATA 320 Gb HD and one DVD combo drive. I have two 92mm fans.

I'm trying to keep everything low voltage and cool, and I won't be doing any overclocking or massive LED adding or anything crazy. I was just wondering if my stock psu, which hasn't given me any problems would be ok, or if I should upgrade.

Thanks a lot for everyone's help.

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2010 6:26:29 PM

300W is mighty close to the requirement. 350 is safer. But you could try running with your current psu. If things go wrong, you can always upgrade.
June 16, 2010 6:45:53 PM

Thanks.

The comp originally came with a 65nm Windsor 4200+ cpu, and the E3300 Celeron is 45nm. Their both rated 65w so I'm thinking the power use would be equal or even less. The only variable is the GT 240 that's rated for 300w. The consensus from my searching of the forums seems to be that an upgrade to a $30 or $35 psu would be a good investment, I'm just not sure how long I'll keep my computer before I do an entirely new build.

This is my first time moddifying/adding parts/building any computer and I can say that choosing/finding the best deals/researching is intense. It's fun though!
m
l
Related resources
June 17, 2010 4:17:48 AM

Best answer selected by Fmaj731.
m
l
!