Company of heroes lags

jcraven33

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I hope I am in the right forum if not I apologize. I am just completely frustrated. I have intel p4 3.2ghz proc, with 2gig ram, and 7600gt nvidia card. COH is playable and tested with computers way lower than mine and can run well. I do the performance test within the game on the settings it recommends and i get 24.5 fps which I would kill for in game, but once the game gets going especially in battle or in 3v3 or 4v4 the fps goes to 6 and is completely unplayable. Even in 1v1 towards the end or in a big battle fps goes to 10. I know my computer sucks but even if i put graphics at lowest levels possible this happens so i know its not graphics card and 2g ram is more than enough. I have defragged, tried all settings off on nview and all settings off in game. Nothing fixes the lag once more units start bunching up and fighting. I have cpuz and it shows my processor running at 3.2ghz and while the processor obviously sucks it is way above spec and should at least be able to run the game at low settings with no lag. I have seen people with half my specs run 20fps which i would kill for at this point. I am so frustrated and any help would be appreciated.

jrz895

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
What I have observed playing COH is that it is unforgiving when it comes to fps. Usually I get about 60FPS on the benchmark but get only 40-30fps in game. Sometimes even 20fps. Is this your first time trying COH on your rig?

jcraven33

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
No i have been playing for awhile but usually 1v1 so i never noticed it. Then I tried 2v2 and had a little to much lag, 3v3 and 4v4 is unplayable after one minute. As i said, I know my comp is old and low spec but this game is 3 or 4 years old and I am way above min specs and at or above recommended specs so i figure i should be able to play the game. Could an old driver for the 7600gt maybe help, thats about the only thing I have not tried. I just cannot believe I have to play 1v1 only. Again the really odd part that I mentioned is playing 4v4 with lowest graphics possible and 800X600 gives me no better fps than 4v4 almost everything high graphics??? After a minute when the units get on the field its about 6fps and the same with my settings way high (which i can play on 1v1). And why would the game start at 40-50 FPS and go to 6fps on high and low settings, processor, ram and card not working together and bottlenecking. I am so lost?

jcraven33

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
And as a side note, I did benchmark06 and my computer was like a 3500 score which was a score equal to or around everyone with similar card, ram, and processor. I can play other games like Flight Simulator X, doom 3, so i thought its odd that this one is just kicking my comp's ass :-( when i heard it is a game you can play without a super comp

jcraven33

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Yep, it is going to be something that one in a hundred people has experienced before I will find a fix for this. I just have that feeling :-( I have tried all the standard stuff now I am just going to have to think outside the box.. maybe load an old driver for vid card, shut down almosteverything in task manager (i have already shut down everything i know can be shut down), i don't know??? just hoping someone has had a similiar experience and i get lucky i guess

jcraven33

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I have an issue with java. won't install or uninstall anything (error code 1723) dll file missing. When I get home from work i will download java ra which gets rid of all java components and then try to reinstall the new java so i can do your "canurunit". Hope you will be able to continue to help.

jcraven33

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I notice in all games my fps drop dramatically with sounds and guns firing so I tried disabling realtek hd audio and all my games run about 7 fps better including COH. I then have no sound but much better game play. I have the latest drivers, is there some other ones I can try.

jcraven33

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I have been everywhere and no one can figure this out. I can't believe this is such a difficult issue to fix and that no one who is a computer tech has any idea what could be causing the huge fps issue. I guess I will just keep searching and trying to find a way to fix it. If I find a solution I will post it so others will have a point of reference because I know I cannot be alone in having this issue.

G

My PC spec is Pentium 4 3.2Ghz, VGA 9800GT, MEM 2GB,and facing same problem.
I believe this problem is happening because of sounds such as gun fire or other ingame sound.
Those eats lots of CPU power.
Lowering sound setting improved my fps a little, but still its not enough to play 4v4.
I think we need newer CPU like core2 or core i5,i7 to play this game smoothly.

alucard1972

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Sorry i have no solution only same issue, been trying to solve this issue for a long time easily over three months.
It isnt yr specs as far as im concearned i currently run 965 quad core, gigabyte main, ddr3 1600 4 gig, 64gig ssd, 5770 1gig graph and windows 7 64bit home premium.
I have seen benchmarking with similar system to mine fps never below 60fps, seen youtube video maxed out everything running perfectly, today on recomended settings 2.6min fps max 56fps.
I have tryed soooo many solutions nothing has worked.
All settings virtually min or off and i got min 50fps, whats the point of having top hardware when you cant use it! .
My symptoms are same 4vs4 or 1vs1 low graphics ultra graphics only make minimal impact on performance.
I also upgrade my system all the time so already i have been through two entire sets of hardware trying to solve issue, probably only consistancys are windows 7 64bit home premium and gigabyte with amd hardware.
Soo many forums have help, environmental reverb, shader quality, post processing, port forwarding, nvidia settings, known software issues etc etc.
My next test is remove all hdd and install xp offline on new hdd patch to sp3 install coh patch to 2.601 and run ultra with dx9 shaders see if that will break my lowest 2.6fps score and hopefully it will abliterate it with 60 fps min as my hardware should.
Sorry for my dribble on but i now know im not alone with this feral bug.

You need to check temps. Sounds to me like when you first start playing and are getting 50-60FPS your GPU and/or CPU is cold(ish) but after a certain period of time it gets too hot and causes thermal throttling (Which basically means it'll get to a certain temp like 100C and underclock itself alot in an attempt to save itself from a early death)

Download and install Real-Temp and GPU-Z to monitor your CPU and GPU temps.

alucard1972

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
OMFG!!! i solved it, uncanny for so long tried every fix i came across, stumbled across this fix while trying to speed up my ssd drive.
Havent dble tested it BUT disabled windows prefetch or superfetch in my case.
This guy said it fixed lag problems in three of his games, and mine is now ULTRA settings all round 57.5fps avg, 62fps max, 42.1fps min in the coh test, i havent seen that speed for years.
I sooo hope this was the fix, i had also added ram to 8 gig ddr3 1600 and removed customer experience from registry and a few other tweaks associated with ssd drives.
Let me know if this solves yr problems too, im so happy im off for a game of awesome ultra goodness. HOOAH!

alucard1972

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

Dude check out my post about disable windows prefetch or super fetch, might be the answer yr looking for.

jcraven33

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I tried alucards idea but with no luck. As the anonymous poster with similar specs to mine stated, we probably need a better processor. When I did test on the web site can you run it... everything was great and it said I should have a great gaming experience, but then I remember when you install the game it does a test on your computer and I did not know how to do that test without reinstalling the whole game so I said what the hell and did it. Unfortunately it did say my cpu is poor, everything else was great, great, great, etc... But again what is odd is that my cpu is well above minimum spec and even at recommended specs :-( The sounds do immediately eat up my cpu as I watch in game fps as I can see it drop. This sucks that I will never be able to play this older game until I buy a new computer or cpu.... Damn :-( Maybe a miracle solution will come along :-0

Cornholio

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
You can get a sweet phenom at 3.6Ghz for about 200$, but your motherboard must have the right socket
You can also get a 9800gt for $50
It's not top notch, but it'll do the job.
You must also have enough power.

DarkMarc

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
I have a pentium 4 3.6Ghz with a geforce 6600GT. COH always used to run fine on low-medium settings, but recently it has become unplayable. To all those people who are saying that a 6600GT or a 7600GT is not enought to play COH, this is bullcrap. When COH was released, these were still very good cards, and it has run well for me for the past two years, as I said.

I have a feeling that the latest nvidia drivers have something to do with this. I will revert my drivers back to the previous version and let you know how it goes.

jcraven33

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I am not at minimum specs I am at recommended and above on all specs... yes I know my computer is crappy, but the game should run at least fairly well. 7600gt is wayyyyyy above spec for the game. I think my particular computer has a shitty pentium 3.2 because. 2gigs ram and the rest should run this game no problems at all.

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
I have been playing coh for a good few years now and went from onboard video (very bad) to a GeForce 6600 with 512 meg and the difference was incredible. Not sure about the frame rates at 4x4 but it is decent enough to have a good time..around 20 i presume. Settings are at tested levels. At the moment it's a e6300 with XP SP3, 2 gig ram and latest NVidia drivers.

jc, have a look at bios settings to be sure your cache is not "disabled", but i doubt it's that as it would affect everything else and not just coh.

Go to "msconfig" and disable the "startup programs" (can't remember the exact terms here) and see.

I also used coh with a 8600t 256 meg and the difference was good but not awesoom. With XT1900XTX 512meg it was a little less than the 8600gt 256.
But with your sys and 7600gt it should be playable i presume around 20fps but at 4x4 maybe i'm wrong and don't remember correctly and my frame rates were lower...but like i said the game was playable so no way it was the 6 or so you say you get.