Bad freezing on games

citytiger

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Hello,
I Have a good spec home built pc yet on games if i move the camera to the side/behind etc it just will freeze a small amount, my spec are :

amd phenom x4 965 3.4ghz
ati radeon 48901gb crossfire x2
750w corsair psu
4gb ocz 1333 ram

This problem is infuriating considering the specs of my pc, what is causing it or what can i do about it? any help is hugely thanked

citytiger

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
LG 22inch 1920x1080

asus crosshair III formula am3 motherboard

seagate barracude 500gb

world of warcraft,crysis,just cause 2, far cry 2

citytiger

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
windows 7 64bit and i installed it fresh when i got all the desired parts and yes infact i tried all video drivers from 9.12 cataclysm to 10.3, no difference

You know, I fired up Far Cry 2 just to see if it would hitch at any point while moving around, and it didn't... and my system should not be performing better than yours for sure.

Have you tried disabling all unnecessary programs before starting the game? Especially any of those pesky apps that come with Asus boards... I never use the Asus CD and am happier because of it.

On a hunch, could you run a benchmark on your hard drive? This one is very easy to download and run:
http://www.hdtune.com/

citytiger

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
353dnp1.jpg

HD bench

and i dont have any of those asus apps

That seems fine, thanks.

I'll have to think about thi s some more. Maybe you could try to describe the problem in more detail. How long is this freeze, does it disappear if you keep moving the camera around or not.

G

Sounds like micro stutter, try running with only one 4890 to see f problem still exists!

citytiger

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
OK i will try to explain best i can

on world of warcraft which is third person view

Say the camera is behind the character, so the character has his back to the camera, and i move the camera so the character is facing the camera, then there will be a very small freeze, like sudden fps drop

same with fps games occasionaly, i aim the gun say 180 degrees and that small freeze will drop but i just dont understand giving my specs

citytiger

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
i always thought i knew what microstutter is and im sure my problem is not micro stutter however i just tried crysis with and without crossfire and at the scene in the 1st level when you first see daylight in that amazing lagoon type sea area,apart from the obvious big fps drops i did not seem to have that problem with crossfire disabled..
surely crossfire is not the problem?

and also thanks alot for taking your time to help me, really appreciate it

G

Crossfire can cause micro stutter, its like a momentary lag, not low fps but a split second of freeze, If running on one card is smooth and this freeze happens only on crossfire it is definably crossfire.

Great thread,

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1317582

What Wiki has to say

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_stuttering

Try setting the options in CCC to V-Sync always on and select triple buffering in game options if it has this, may help...

Other than that is seems this is a common occurrence, one of the reasons why I always go with 1 GPU over 2.