Purchasing PSU ahead of system build

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Looking for a sanity check here.

I'm planning a build for May-June, and I just bought a Thermaltake Spedo Advance as it's one of the few full towers with most of the features I'm interested in, and it recently went on sale for $180 - $25 MIR + free shipping.

XFX Black Edition 850 W 80+ Silver Active PFC is currently $150 + $6 shipping, which appears to be anywhere from $30-$50 off the usual price. Should I go ahead and buy it now? I do have another computer I can throw in the case just to make sure the XFX BE isn't DOA if I go ahead and buy the PSU.

Waiting isn't a big deal, and I'm also considering the Corsair 850 HX, the price on the XFX just looked super good.

tecmo34

Administrator
I see no issues with your reasoning. You have a way to verify it is good, which is your biggest concern with buying early. It is a good deal & a good PSU, so go for it :D

Why will you need a 850w PSU? Planning on a highend dual GPU setup with OCing?

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Total budget is somewhere in the neighborhood of $2k for what is primarily a gaming rig with some VM experimentation and some Photoshop etc., so the plan is 1366 and either 5870 or 5970 to start, with CrossFire in the future. Targeting 850 W to make sure I have the overhead for dual graphics cards when it comes time.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Conflicting information, but it sounds like it fits if you either remove the lower drive cage or the adjustable fan bar. I figure I'll measure once I get the case just to make sure. Not entirely certain I'm going with a 5970 yet anyway, but it's always nice to have the option.

Thanks for remembering to check for the small details like that. :)

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Yeah that review was one of the primary reasons I was considering it. Seems like a quality PSU, and to be honest, I kind of like the glaring neon green fan. ;)

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Power supply showed up on Friday, temporarily transplanted the guts of my HTPC into the new case along with the power supply. Everything was excellent, and the power supply was seriously silent.

Now I just need to rebuild the HTPC after I get the new gaming rig built. Well, and get the parts for the gaming rig, etc.