Can anyone diagnose this? (Networking issue)

gymscat

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Hi all,
My setup is as follows: I have three pcs, one desktop (Win XP Pro) connected directly to wireless router (Linksys WRT54G), one desktop (Win XP Pro) connected to network via Linksys Wireless "B" USB adapter, and a notebook (Win 2000 Pro) connected to network via Linksys "G" PC card.
I am having a heck of a time with my network all of sudden. Basically I have managed to get my USB "B" Adapter running and it reports a good signal, yet I can't connect to the net. When I run ipconfig from that pc I am getting the following:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge (Network Bridge) 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.142.204

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::80:adff:fe97:efb%4

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 9:

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.135.39

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::20c:41ff:fe57:8baf%5

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:169.254.135.39%2

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:169.254.142.204%2

Unfortunately I'm not sure how to use this info to troubleshoot the problem.

Gary

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Looks like you've run the wizard with that bridge in there. The other connection looks like you have a VPN virtual adapter setup. Possibly for work? Anyway, unless you need the bridge for something I'd consider removing that. Other than that, your not getting an IP from your router. You say you have a connection to the Router/AP, but just because your associated doesn't mean you are letting data through. That would generally be a problem with WEP or something like that. Like your Router/AP has WEP enabled but your Card does not, or the card has the wrong key in there. Few things you can do. Default both the AP and the client card(s) and start over. That'd be what I would do if I didn't already have an idea of what's going on. You could also manually assign an IP to that card and start pinging out, preferably trying to ping your gateway, the router. If that is not successful then you either setup the IP out of range (incorrectly) or again you might still have a problem with encryption. Hard to tell without seeing your setup. I'd probably recommend starting from scratch without being able to take a look up close. To do that default the Router/AP and remove any settings from your client card that you have setup manually.