External HDD not being detected

ShAdOwFuRi

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Hi guys,

My external hard drive has been working well until recently. The model is Western Digital My Passport Essential SE (USB 3.0) 2 TB. It is no longer being detected on multiple computers despite me installing the relevant drivers on each computer as obtained from the Western Digital website. I've tested on Windows 7 64 bit and Windows XP 32 bit, it seems to be detected as driver problem as the device is placed under 'other devices' in the device manager.

Would anybody happen to know what is going on? Is my hard drive corrupt? Any help is appreciated! Thanks :)

ShAdOwFuRi

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Are you quite sure this would work? The drive doesn't work with USB 2.0 ports either anymore despite working previously. I've tested the drive on 3 different PCs and 1 laptop.

So it's not PC specific.

It there anyway to check to see if the internal plug into the hard drive is loose? I can easily check this on my Seagate FreeAgent USB 2.0 external drive enclosure, but don't know about yours.

Does it require USB AND a power cable, or just USB?

When plugged in, can you feel the drive spin? The enclosure should vibrate at littlel bit.

Can you take the drive out of the enclosure? And plug it in to the cables not in the enclosure to see if it spins up?