Sign in with
Your question

So I'm about to buy my stuff. Any suggestions? Buying tomorrow

Last response: in Systems
April 7, 2010 2:35:00 AM

I am about to purchase this build, using my current mid-tower case. Any suggestions or comments about this build would help me. Using for web browsing , photo editing, streaming vids, watching vids, and general other stuff like facebook, facebook games, etc.
I will be placing order tomorrow, so I appreciate the quick responses. Thanks all

BFG BFGE981024GTGE GeForce 9800 GT Video Card - 1024MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, (2) Dual Link DVI, HDTV, VGA Support
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

ASUS P7P55D Pro Motherboard & Intel Core i5 750 Processor Bundle

Corsair TX650W 650-Watt Power Supply - ATX, 120mm Fan, SLI-Ready, SATA-Ready, 80Plus

Corsair Dual Channel 4096MB PC10600 DDR3 1333MHz Memory (2x2048MB) using a total of 8 gigs, 4 sticks

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT Operating System Software - OEM DVD, English

I am upgrading from a intel e4700 core2duo 2.6ghx 800mhz with a intel D945GCNL mobo running 2gigs ram win xp home edition

April 7, 2010 2:49:45 AM

Overkill on your PSU... You can get way with a 450w PSU for your system. Your GPU is a little weak but plenty strong enough for your needs. You might want to look at an ATI 5670 or a Nvidia GT 240 (if Nvidia fan) as good alternatives to the GT 9800.
April 7, 2010 2:54:14 AM

tecmo34 said:
Overkill on your PSU... You can get way with a 450w PSU for your system. Your GPU is a little weak but plenty strong enough for your needs. You might want to look at an ATI 5670 or a Nvidia GT 240 (if Nvidia fan) as good alternatives to the GT 9800.

Overkill on the psu is for possible upgrading in the future, especially if I decide to start doing other things. Is this going to hurt my system having this psu? Also, reading so many different things between the Gt240 and 9800 gt, everything points to the 9800 being a better and more reliable card. What do you think?

Related resources
April 7, 2010 3:05:07 AM

I can live with the concept for upgrades as why you wnet with a bigger PSU. It won't hurt your system by doing so.

As for the GPU, I just noticed you went with 8GB of RAM. Unless you are doing heavy CAD, CS4 or HD Video editing, I would stick with just 4GB of RAM. With the savings, you can purchase an ATI 5770 and have a very well balanced system. If need be down the road, upgrade to more RAM and unless you get into "heavy" OC gaming at high resolutions, the 5770 will work great for your needs and gets you DX11 support.
April 7, 2010 3:18:51 AM

tecmo34 said:
I can live with the concept for upgrades as why you wnet with a bigger PSU. It won't hurt your system by doing so.

As for the GPU, I just noticed you went with 8GB of RAM. Unless you are doing heavy CAD, CS4 or HD Video editing, I would stick with just 4GB of RAM. With the savings, you can purchase an ATI 5770 and have a very well balanced system. If need be down the road, upgrade to more RAM and unless you get into "heavy" OC gaming at high resolutions, the 5770 will work great for your needs and gets you DX11 support.

I definitely appreciate your input, however, I do kinda favor nvidia over ati, evening without having dx11 support. I do use CS2, and do some video editing. Unless you can convince me on the ati, I do want to go with nvidia. Reading all kind of tests and reviews scattered trhoughout the web, and having used an ati card before, I prefer to go with the nvidia. I also only use a vga moniter, so I have to take that into account also. Thanks
April 7, 2010 3:49:02 AM

Stick with Nvidia. I prefer the GT 240 over the 9800GTX. The 240 is not SLI able but a great card.
April 7, 2010 3:58:28 AM

We can compromise :)  Drop down to 4GB (all you really need) and go with Nvidia's GTS 250 for your GPU. You get a Nvidia and a better GPU than your current one. With the additional savings, pick yourself up a newer 500GB platter based hard drive to increase your speeds (unless currently running one or have a SSD). I recommend the Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB or 1TB. I have the 1TB and it revivals my WD 300GB VRaptor in speeds.
April 7, 2010 4:35:41 AM

tecmo34 said:
We can compromise :)  Drop down to 4GB (all you really need) and go with Nvidia's GTS 250 for your GPU. You get a Nvidia and a better GPU than your current one. With the additional savings, pick yourself up a newer 500GB platter based hard drive to increase your speeds (unless currently running one or have a SSD). I recommend the Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB or 1TB. I have the 1TB and it revivals my WD 300GB VRaptor in speeds.

Man, reeally stuck on downgrading to 4gigs ram. Why? Wouldn't 8 gigs be better? Also, was checking out the gts250, and they range in price from about 100 bucks to a few hundred bucks, some in cases and some not. Any brand suggestions or why the difference in price and looks? Also, kind of limited as I have a VGA monitor.
April 7, 2010 5:58:38 AM

tecmo34 said:

Took part of your advice and went with the gt 250 evga card 512-P3-1154-TR and kept the 8 gigs of ram. Also, keeping my 2 sata seagate 250gb 7200 rpm drives, as did not have anything left to get a bigger one. Thanks for the help
Went with the I5-750/p7p55d pro mobo combo and kept the 650w psu
April 7, 2010 6:45:32 AM

rugman1969 said:
Man, reeally stuck on downgrading to 4gigs ram. Why? Wouldn't 8 gigs be better? Also, was checking out the gts250, and they range in price from about 100 bucks to a few hundred bucks, some in cases and some not. Any brand suggestions or why the difference in price and looks? Also, kind of limited as I have a VGA monitor.

Ram does little for speed or ability to actually play things. Only way ram effects speed is if you don't have adequate amounts. But as long as your not capping above 90% you typically don't see noticeable speed changes.

Unless you use programs like 3ds max or edit gigantic 10k x 10k photos any more than 4 gb is unnecessary as it won't be used and so your having a slower computer while spending extra money.

A higher graphics card however gives you gaming options which if you game will have a noticeable impact on speed/quality.
April 7, 2010 7:00:36 AM

You should really get a better graphics card for that build.
For gaming builds, ~1/3 of the budget should be a graphics card, seriously.
Go get a ATI HD 5770 or something for ~$ 175,-.

PS: ATI outperforms Nvidia currently on prize AND performance!
. on low AND high end!
!