New PSU or extension cables?

Zeppelinfreak

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
I have ordered a bunch of stuff for a new computer finally and planned to use my 600W OCZ Stealthxstream PSU. As long as the PSU doesn't crap out on me, it should suffice for my build. The problem is the case paired with my PSU. I ordered a HAF 922 and its already here so I been inspecting things. From what I read, my PSU's cables aren't that long and probably didn't have a bottom mount PSU in mind. I really want to take full advantage of the HAF 922 's cooling capabilities. That means I want to pretty much have every wire I can tucked behind the motherboard tray. My PSU cables just aren't gonna cut it to do this, and if I hook it up straight out in the open, the cables will be all over the place. I will feel like it won't be taking advantage of the HAF's cooling, plus I have managed to convince myself I have to tuck them away or I will OCD if I don't lol.

To the point of the topic, I was going to ask if anyone thinks I should buy a new PSU, most likely a Corsair 650W that will have longer cables. It is in the budget, but I already spent a lot so I would rather not. Anyone think this is all worth it for maximum cable management and airflow?

Also as the title suggests there is also the possibility I could buy extensions for the 24 pin mobo, 8 pin EPS, and likely 2 for the 6 & 8 pin PCI-E cables I will need. I think the 4 pin molex actually will reach anything I need them too.

Sorry for a huge post, but thought I would get some advice. Anyone think any of this is worth it?

I'm curious how long the cables are? I have a Corsaire 750TX... it's awesome you can see in my sig it's powering a LOT of stuff. Anyway, I had to run the 8 pin to mobo directly, the 12V rail just barely manages to make it to the connector running around the back. All the other stuff tho - 6 pins and molex's - are long enough to get tucked around back. I think the 8pin and 12V are about... 12" and the rest are probably 18" at their longest (multiple connections on the molex). Anyway the case is the Antec 900 II which is a tower case. Not the absolute biggest but it's large. Anyway I'd say wait and check it out first. Might be ok. I'd have to think you can get extensions too but more cable = more resistance, and more connections = power loss. Not a big deal I guess but still...

shovenose

Distinguished

the little extra cabling shouldnt make a difference in the actual performance of the power supply

Henry Chinaski

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Wires and connectors aren't perfect conductors. They have resistance. There is a voltage drop (and that energy is lost as heat) when current runs through wires and connectors.
Since you won't overload any wire, the voltage drop and extra heat is not a problem for you.
Therefore, I recommend you to use extensions to be able to take full advantage of the HAF 922 's features.