Sign in with
Your question

Help with NVIDIA card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 18, 2010 8:20:01 PM

I recently built a new amd computer. Its running windows 7 pro 64 with a pII x4 955 processor and an Asus M4A785TD-V EVO mobo. I took an old NVIDIA 8800GT from another computer where it was working just fine. When I put it into my new computer and start it up the screen is completely fragged. You cannot see anything but displaced pixels. It will transition a few different times, but you still cannot see anything on the screen other then fragmented pixels. I tried resetting cmos, enable PCI to be detected, disabled onboard graphics, the whole works, nothing will get the card to show me anything but distortion. I cant even get to see the desktop or anything to install drivers as I cant see the screen. My question is: is the card fried? Or is there some kind of solution to this kind of problem. The card is a BFG Geforce 8800gt OC edition. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

More about : nvidia card

a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2010 9:38:59 PM

Put it back into the first computer, is it still working fine?
m
l
March 18, 2010 10:49:36 PM

sr001 said:
I recently built a new amd computer. Its running windows 7 pro 64 with a pII x4 955 processor and an Asus M4A785TD-V EVO mobo. I took an old NVIDIA 8800GT from another computer where it was working just fine. When I put it into my new computer and start it up the screen is completely fragged. You cannot see anything but displaced pixels. It will transition a few different times, but you still cannot see anything on the screen other then fragmented pixels. I tried resetting cmos, enable PCI to be detected, disabled onboard graphics, the whole works, nothing will get the card to show me anything but distortion. I cant even get to see the desktop or anything to install drivers as I cant see the screen. My question is: is the card fried? Or is there some kind of solution to this kind of problem. The card is a BFG Geforce 8800gt OC edition. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Unfortunately corrupted video is the worst possible symptom a video card can have. If it was just a black screen or something you could say that maybe there's an incompatibility or something. Video corruption is generally caused by overheating and/or memory errors. You said that this happens at startup so heat is a pretty unlikely cause(check your fan anyway to be safe). It sounds to me like you may have shorted out some of the video memory when you moved it over. :( 

It's a new motherboard though so there could be some kind of defect there causing it. Try as sabot00 suggested and test the card again in the old PC and if you have another PCI-E card anywhere test that in your new board to see if it might be defective.

Good luck.
m
l
Related resources
March 18, 2010 11:40:42 PM

Well I really REALLY dont want to install it back into the other computer. It is a micro atx mobo and case and very old, I dont really feel like putting my fingers through that pain of the installation again lol. The card is about 2 years old and ran around 80 C and overclocked in its former very cramped case and did ALOT of gaming with it and it ran solid 24/7. I only wanted something to hold me over for about 2 weeks till I order my 5850 so its not necessarily a big deal for me if it works or not. I was going to put it on ebay though so maybe I will see if its just not working with my machine afterall.

This does however worry me a bit with my mobo and its PCI-E slots. I did however test it on both the x16 bandwidth slot and the x4 bandwidth PCI-E 2.0 slots figuring I might possibly have a defective mobo. It was the same fragmentation in BOTH pci-e slots. So surely that could rule out a bad PCI slot as that would mean the mobo would have 2 of them. Just to be on the safe side though, what is a very cheap PCI-E 2.0 card to test with? Just to test for functionality cause if the mobo is bad I want to just do a return to newegg instead of dealing with an rma through asus.
m
l
March 18, 2010 11:59:07 PM

Looks like cheap PCI-E 2.0 cards start at $30.

I'd rather go through a little finger pain and cuts on my hand than eat $30 though.
m
l
March 19, 2010 12:47:10 AM

Ok I dug out an old dell that was laying around that wont boot OS but will boot bios, with much better access to the pci slot then the other one :)  Plugged the graphics card into it, and same thing, nothing but distortion and fragmentation on the monitor all 912873409218734298 pixels worth. So im guessing the card is indeed fried? :(  Is there anything possible to do anything with it at all at that point?
m
l
!