Cpu running really hot

I am using an i7 920 on stock fan my temps are around 80 when I'm just browsing and playing l4d2 it says about the same temps.

13 answers Last reply
More about running
  1. Your temp program could be off. Check the board temp by rebooting quickly and entering the bios. I tried coretemp, and it was 15c off from the bios reading. Or turn the board over and see if all the heatsink pins are evenly installed under the board.
  2. Also my task manager says my CPU usage is always at 100%
  3. socron said:
    Also my task manager says my CPU usage is always at 100%

That would be the problem.

Find out what task is using CPU at 100%
  4. That's not right. Could be malware?
  5. Fahcore_b4.exe is taking all my CPU
  6. socron said:
    Also my task manager says my CPU usage is always at 100%

I think you already did that, but just in case, try reinstalling windows :sweat:
  7. socron said:
    Fahcore_b4.exe is taking all my CPU

I might be wrong, but I think that is folding at home. That should be using your cpu 100%, but you should have known that if you installed it and have it running.
  8. Sry, I dont know much but I don't think i ever installed it, when i go to my task manager theres like 6 of them running If I close all of the my CPU usage goes down to like 5% or w/e and my CPU goes down to around 50C but my core speed also goes down to like 1.5GHz, I have just been leaving one open which leaves my core speed the same and my CPU usage goes down to around 50% around 50C
  9. Maybe there is something wrong with drivers
  10. socron said:
    Sry, I dont know much but I don't think i ever installed it, when i go to my task manager theres like 6 of them running If I close all of the my CPU usage goes down to like 5% or w/e and my CPU goes down to around 50C but my core speed also goes down to like 1.5GHz, I have just been leaving one open which leaves my core speed the same and my CPU usage goes down to around 50% around 50C

That sounds right, EIST, C1E, C States - these are power saving features and in particular EIST will drop the multiplier at idle. My i5 750 multiplier goes from 21 to 9.
  11. socron said:
    I have just been leaving one open which leaves my core speed the same and my CPU usage goes down to around 50% around 50C

Close them all down. Your core speed will increase as soon as you put a load on the CPU.

But 50 C. is still kind of high for idle temps. Remove any overclock and check to make sure that the HSF is properly installed.
  12. is there a way to make the Fahcore not appear everytime I restart my comp

Edit
    NVM I got it I guess I can live wih 50C on idle
  13. It's very simple, go into control panel and uninstall Folding@Home.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Fan