Jul 13, 2007
Hi All,

These are my computer specs and SSD drives;

Asus 2600K running at 4.6Ghz
Asus Maximus Extreme Z
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
Corsair Force GT 60GB (Windows)
Corsair Force GT 120GB (Games)

When copying files from one SSD to another I get pretty low speeds really, when I run ATTO I get the advertised speeds but when doing a 11GB MKV file transfer it can drop from 300MB\s when it starts down to 90 MB\s. I have both the drives on a Intel 6Gbps controller, however I tried the boot drive on the Marvel 6Gbps controller and it was the same outcome.

Why such low speeds on file transfers?

ATTO benchmark software uses highly compressible data to test Read/Write speeds.
SandForce based SSDs work best when handling data that can be easily compressed.

MKV files are highly incompressible so that is why you're getting low speeds on file transfers.

Do you have the latest Intel chipset drivers? iRST?

And don't use the Marvell ones, they don't even live up to the Intel specs.

Sounds like you are suffering from "drive throlling," too many writes in a short period of time. But this was a problem with the SATA II Sandforce 12xx drives.

But it's probably the compressible vs. incompressible thing mentioned above.

BTW: Have you done any SSD Tweaks to keep them in good shape?

carnagerover

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2007

Thanks for the quick reply and information, what would be a good file type to check things out?

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
corsairs are good drives.. just a sandforce thing.. also to bad you didnt get 2 120s for raid.. i plan on getting another patirot wildfire my self.. i love my drive..

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
.avi files.. are typical .. .mpg and .mov files employ more compression.. .mp3 files usually employ a decent amount of compression but you would need to transfer an entire folder for a proper test 1GB or so..

I don't know, maybe Excel or Word document files.

If you want to see how compressible your MKV file is use WinZip or WinRAR to fully compress the file.
Note the "before" and "after" file sizes and that will tell you how compressible the file is.

carnagerover

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2007
Tried an .ISO file of 11GB to try and see if that made a difference and it still drops under 100MBps. I am yet to find something that makes this drive perform at stated speeds.

I also disabled File Indexing which seemed to be recommended for SSD's and it took my WEI score from 7.9 to 7.6

TRENDING THREADS