Zalman LQ-320 Worth $40?

spizzlo

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Newegg currently has this liquid cooler for $40 after rebate. Right now I have a CM 212 EVO and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade. I could sell the EVO for $20-25 so I could have the Zalman for under $20 all said and done. It got the "Tom's Approved" which is great but it's really hard to find much info from owners.

My current rig is a 3570K, 212 EVO, HD 7850, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, CM Storm Enforcer. I am pretty much just gaming and productivity use.

Does anyone have one of these and would it be worth it? Thanks.

spizzlo

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
HELL YES.

It outperforms the H100i. Oh, and that's only with a single fan. Throw on 2 fans and it's way better.

It's one of the best coolers in the world. At $40 it's an insanely good value.

It's also funny how often people around here give terrible advice when they have no clue what they are talking about. Comparing an H60 to an LQ320 is like comparing an H50 to the H100. They are both in totally different leagues.

Thanks I appreciate the input. Yeah it seems like a crazy bargain. It's just crazy how few people seem to actually have them. I can't see how I could pass this up.

According to Tom's review the H100i does out perform it but only at max fan speeds which I guess is REALLY loud

HELL YES.

It outperforms the H100i. Oh, and that's only with a single fan. Throw on 2 fans and it's way better.

It's one of the best coolers in the world. At $40 it's an insanely good value.

It's also funny how often people around here give terrible advice when they have no clue what they are talking about. Comparing an H60 to an LQ320 is like comparing an H50 to the H100. They are both in totally different leagues.

Please don't act like I said that it was a bad cooler at a bad price. I said that I wasn't sure of it and only said that if it's anything like the similarly priced H60, then it wouldn't be worth getting.

spizzlo

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Thanks a lot for the explanation. I am definitely going to grab one of these.

The only downside is that I have a red themed build and the block has a blue led. I think I'll survive though :D

You probably shouldn't make comments about stuff if you don't know anything about. It's completely unfair to Zalman, who's done an amazing job on creating a very innovative cooler, for someone like you to trash it without knowing anything about it.

How would you feel if someone who never saw your work, and was totally misinformed about it, told someone else to not buy it or even consider it, because of the wrong reasons? If the LQ320 was overpriced, or a bad cooler (for the price... again with heatsinks, and all computer stuff, it's all about price), then it'd be fair.

But to mention it in the same sentence as the H60? ;/

On a side note, the H60 at $40 is not the worst value at all. It's a great mid-range cooler, and if it was $39 that'd be a good value for it. Just not as great a value as a $39 lq320.

What I said was not unfair to Zalman nor was I trashing it in any way. Furthermore, I did not say that the H60 at $40 was a bad deal. I said upgrading to it from an Evo for $40 would be a bad deal and that is because it's not much better of a cooler than the Evo and since OP already has the Evo, there's no need to upgrade to an H60 nor a similarly performing cooler.

I do have a good understanding of the coolers. I did not know how good this one Zalman cooler was and simply said that if it was anything like the H60, a cooler that often goes for a similar price, then it would not be worth upgrading to.

The only one who was being unfair was you and evidently that was because you, not me, did not understand. You seem to not understand what I said. Me not knowing how good Zalman's LQ320 does not mean that I don't understand coolers. It means that I don't know how good of a cooler the LQ320 is. Since the H60 is usually found for a similar price, I said that if Zalman's cooler was like it, it would not be worth upgrading to. That is true. Since as you say it is much better than the H60, it is worth upgrading to at the price of $40 if OP wants to upgrade cooling.

Before you start mocking other people's understanding of anything, I suggest not jumping to conclusions that are completely off base.

spizzlo

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
I have to say as the OP that you did make it sound like a bad idea to upgrade. You might be right about what you "technically" said, but how things come across and what you technically say are often different. I appreciate that you want to help but making assumptions is generally not a good way to do it.

Also, Belial didn't say you don't know anything about coolers, he said you don't know about the LQ-320, which is true. You might be an expert in every other cooler in the world, but "this one Zalman cooler" is the one I am asking about. He really wasn't out of line IMO.

spizzlo

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
That tomshardware review is terrible.

The Hyper 212+, the NH-D14, Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, are all examples of relatively bad stuff that was great at releast but has only become popular in the last 2 years.

Why is the review terrible?

Are you saying these are bad products? I see you have a NH-D14 and I think many other people would say even now it's still an amazing cooler.

I don't want ot start an argument over nothing over it, especially considering that this is your thread, so I'll shut up about that :p

I didn't mean to imply that upgrading at all was a bad idea, just that unless that Zalman is significantly better than a similarly priced water cooler that I do have some experience with, the H60, it wouldn't be worth upgrading to from your current cooler. I didn't make any assumptions in saying that, I make a conditional statement. Sorry, I don't see how what I said was interpreted as anything other than what it is :/

spizzlo

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
The thing is that the Zalman IS significantly better than H60. That fact throws everything you're trying to argue down the drain. You didn't give good advice. Just own it and learn from your mistakes.

I wasn't going to argue the point, but what you said here is blatantly false and I'll have no more of it. That Zalman is better in no way refutes what I said nor does it mean that what I said afterwards goes "down the drain." There was nothing wrong about my advice. I said that if it is anything like the H60, then it isn't worth being upgraded to. That "if" is extremely important and I'm sorry, but that you didn't pay attention to it is your fault and your mistake, not mine. That Zalman is better means that it is worth upgrading to if you want more cooling, but I never said otherwise.

^ You made it sound like the Zalman lq320 was comparable to an h60. That's the problem. It's pretty obvious you didn't know what you were talking about in your post. It's not just unfair to the OP, it's unfair to Zalman. Those guys put an incredible amount of innovation and effort into their products, and been a huge support to the community in general.

How about this "If blazorthon is anything like hitler than he's clearly an idiot who knows nothing about computer components and should just shut up"

No, I didn't make it sound like that. I said if it is anything like it. That isn't implying anything about it whatsoever. You can try to interpret it any way you want, but there's a difference between interpreting English and just accepting what the words mean and thinking that hey, maybe this guy actually means what he said, not some pessimistic, condescending interpretation of what he said.

I knew exactly what I was talking about. I did not state nor imply that the Zalman LQ320 was no better than the H60. If you want to take anything away fro mwhat I said, then take away the facts. What I said clearly shows that the H60 is often found for a similar price to that and that I have experience with the H60, but not the Zalman LQ320. It also says that unless the Zalman LQ320 is much better than the H60, it is not worth upgrading to even for this low price if you're coming from the CM H212 EVO.

That is all that it says. It doesn't even imply that the Zalman LQ320 is no better than the H60. What I said is not unfair to Zalman in any way nor is it unfair to OP. All that anyone who knew about the cooler had to say to finish that was that it really is much better than the Zalman LQ320 and then my post's logic would state that it is then thus worth upgrading to from the Evo even if that person didn't outright say this.

What you said at the end of your reply to me has no correlation with what I said. It's not even the same logic and even then, it's brought to such an extreme that it is a straw-man argument at best.

Also, you're way off base with what you said in the second half of your post. You ignore many things such as the CPU's cooling needs, the cooler's heat pipe diameter and shaep, whether or not the heat pipes are Direct Touch (this can make a large difference in temps for Ivy Bridge)k editions with large overclocks), and much more. You brought an over-simplification to such an extreme that it was totally incorrect. Yes, many coolers are similar. That is true. However, many coolers are not similar in performance even if they share many similarities. One minor difference can be enough for one CPU platform to greatly favor one cooler over another that is nearly identical whereas these nearly identical coolers have nearly identical performance on other CPUs!

What I said in my previous post was a little harsher than it should have been and I missed a few things. I'll admit that much. I did learn that the Zalman LQ320 is a much better cooler than the H60, granted that still doesn't refute anything that I said entirely nor even partially. I also learned that I may want to change my word choice to something more easily understood. However, that is it. I didn't make any claims other than what were correct nor did I make any assumptions.

The implication of your post is quite clear that you suggested it was similar to the H60. Unfortunately, it does not say you have no clue what you are talking about, and the OP took what you said as an informed statement instead of you just speaking out of your buttcheeks.

Really, it's quite unfair to Zalman what you did. The guys over there are pretty damn committed. That's the real problem.

If blazorman is anything like that other forum poster, then he constantly on things he has no clue about.

Factually, all I am saying is that if you are indeed like that other forum poster, and I am in no way saying you are, but if you are like him, you are clueless. It's pretty clear the implication is that you are like him from the statement, why else would I draw the comparison.

It's like when people say "Well Tommy thinks your butt-ugly". It's not a nice thing to say.

It's funny that you don't go to any length to clear up the misleading things you've said, or going to any length to talk about how the LQ320 is an amazing cooler. You dance around semantics when the message you sent was obvious.

What do you think the OP would have done if he listened to you? Made the correct decision of getting the amazing LQ320 for only $39, which is the best deal on a heatsink this year so far, or bought some overpriced piece of garbage like you probably did?

All I said was similar between the two coolers was price. In no way does that imply the performance is similar. I said that I didn't know how it performed and simply linked to to the H60 by price and that it'd have to be better than the H60 to be worth having. That isn't unfair to Zalman, so you can stop with that bullshit. I did not imply nor state that the H60 and the LQ320 are similarly performing. IDK how you can possibly compare my post to an insult when it was not in the least little bit an insult. The real problem here is how you totally misunderstood what I said and frankly, what I said was not complex, so I fail to see how you could possibly interpret it in any way other than exactly what it is.

Nothing that I said was misleading, so there's nothing to clear up.

Whether or not the LQ320 is a great cooler has been undisputed and I've already said that I don't have any experience with it, so me endorsing it outright beyond not doubting you would be blatantly stupid. To expect any more of me when I have not seen it myself is ridiculous, to say the least.

What OP should have done if OP listened to me is not make any decision on it without more information. OP isn't stupid as far as I can tell and I don't see how anyone who isn't stupid wold assume that I was saying not to get it based on what I said. I said that if it is anything like the H60, it wouldn't be worth getting. That in no way implies that it is anything like the H60. Quite the opposite, if you pay attention to the words instead of trying to get some messed up ulterior motive out of them.

Nothing that I've bought in coolers nor any other component is overpriced. I never buy something unless I am sure that it is the best for the job at the best price for what the job requires or unless I am checking it out to find out if it will do the job better or do the job as well and more cheaply than my current choice. I build and sell computers to dozens of clients, so I have to be sure of everything or else I get to deal with profit-hurting returns.

If you really want to talk about fairness, then how is it fair that you are acting as if I said things which I did not say? You attack me with words and implications that I did not use nor give. What you are doing is the very definition of a straw-man argument- to attack a misrepresentation of another's position. You can try all you want, but you can't discredit me by attacking things that are not my own claims, but your own misinterpretations of what I said. I didn't send any message other than that the LQ320 would need to be much better than a water cooler that is going for a similar price in order for it to be worth upgrading to. OP can join in if OP wants to too- I don't care. That doesn't make you any more right nor me any more wrong. What I said was 100% correct regardless of the Zalman LQ320's performance, so you can attack it all you want, but how good or how bad the LQ320 does doesn't impact what I said, it only impacts the logical result of my logic. Since I never made claims about what that result was, you can't even attack that result nor use it to attack me.

That is also a part of why I didn't rant about how good the LQ320 is at this point- not only have you already established it, but it has no impact on this argument. If you really think that what I said is unfair to Zalman, then go ahead and link this to them and ask them about it. I've respected Zalman for making some of the best and most innovative products in every category that they're in (especially some of their recent cases which have already been in more than fifteen of my client's builds with no complaints at all), so you can have any opinion of what you think that I think of them that you will. It has no impact on my real opinion of them, which is about as high as it can possibly get for a technology company.

Regardless, this has gone on too long already. I won't be responding nor even reading any more responses in this thread, it has been hijacked too much as is for your personal attacks and my reactions to them.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I don't understand the strong 'fanboyism' towards Zalman over this cooler. I've seen comparisons and reviews and haven't really been that impressed over any other closed loop cooler brand out there. It isn't substantially different than anything else that already exists on the market already. It's simply Zalman offering their 'brand X' of closed loop cooler in a certain price range.

A $40 Zalman cooler outperforms the (underperforming) H100i? Can you link to this, please?

For the record, Zalman made some horrendous watercooling options in the past in the form of the Reserator. Pitiful design, horrible performance...mixed metals in a loop. Their air coolers used to be top notch, but have been replaced several of the past years with offerings from other companies, but to their credit, they did kind of spawn a huge following for the aftermarket, high-end heatsink upgrade.

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012

sorry, the zalman LQ series is the best thing to happen to closed loop water cooling, the lq 310 outdoes the h100, and the lq 320 is an amazing deal at $40

spizzlo

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

What comparisons and reviews have you seen? That's what I am looking for. The one on this site compares it to $100+ coolers and and they seem to like it a lot (that's assuming $105 for the Zalman). It's not that it's the best cooler ever, it's the fact that it competes with $100+ coolers and it can be had for $40 right now. That is just one review though, and there isn't a ton of other info on this cooler out there that I can find, which is why I asked in the first place.

I just want as much info as possible before making a decision. The rebate ends today.

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Zalman-LQ310-CPU-Cooler-Review/1697
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Zalman-LQ315-CPU-Cooler-Review/1702
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Zalman-LQ320-CPU-Cooler-Review/1715

It's better than hyper 212, somewhat better than the 212 evo. if this is the only zalman lq series on sale, go for it and get an extra fan

spizzlo

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

The LQ-310 is better than the H100? Is there any info you can link to about that or is it personal experience?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
They have fairly similar radiator sizes, so I would expect similar performance based on similar ambient room temps.

In one of the graphs, the LQ320 is tested in a room with an ambient of 20C while the H100 is tested in a room with 26C ambient, but both are graphed on the same chart as comparison.

Shoddy representation of testing and graphed result evidence.