What to expect from new sandy bridge cpus?

with the upcoming new sandy bridge cpus next year, what should we be expecting from intel. are the speeds going to be tons faster. and how are the motherboards going to come out, in a trickle from few manufactureers? and what about the price, are we looking at some expensive stuff or reasonable lines to already out cpus. im able to hold out on building new computers and such, but not knowing much about whats to come out soon is a bit wacky for me. with software like gaming and graphics design such as photoshop/cad/etc and anything else not coming out as fast as cpus, is the new sandy bridge stuff really that necessary to get right out of the gate?
5 answers Last reply
More about what expect sandy bridge cpus
  1. Personally when it comes to PC stuff, I never like getting the brand spanking new stuff because it almost never has proper support and some little bugs and glitches to be worked out, driver updates, BIOS updates, compatibility issues in some cases... etc etc.

As for the sandy bridge thing, to be honest this is the first I've ever heard the name... so... I dunno! lol
  2. 32 nm architecture, cooler operating temps, better clock to clock performance, more higher overclocking potential etc..etc..etc.. Along with all this, i just hope sandy bridge brings significant price dips for the current generation intel CPU's and chipsets also..
  3. Sandy Bridge will be an evolutionary step from Core i5/i7.
    Sandy Bridge will focus on power efficiency.
    Performance will be increased without a core size increase (similar to the Netburst to Core transition).
    The CPU core is scalable.
    Due to the small 32 nm process, the floating point unit is small compared to the rest of the core.
    Dynamic Turbo allows the CPU power to exceed the TDP value when the rest of the platform is relatively cool. The frequency gain can be up to 37% for one minute, and over 20% in most cases.
    Sandy Bridge is released for the mobile segments, which would split the markets into two CPU lines.
    Sandy Bridge's CPU and GPU are likely to be on one die (unlike the two-die approach of Nehalem).
    Because of the high-performing CPU and off-chip components, it may be necessary to improve bus interconnects. The internal bus is to be improved.
    The Sandy Bridge microarchitecture is also said to focus on the connections of the processor core.
    If the transition to 22 nm is difficult, then Sandy Bridge may go over three generations (Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, and another Bridge) as opposed to two with Core 2 and Nehalem.
  4. Aren't they using a 20MB L3? You'd need some speed to utilize all that. :)

Fingers crossed for a swell IPC increase!
  5. I just checked the wiki page on it, looks like one version will be on 1155 socket and another on 2011. Would an 1155 work on a 1156? Too bad they can't make things compatible with old technology eh?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Sandy Bridge Product