sam80jr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
I was wondering if an advanced builder could help me out. I have an extremely advanced knowledge of computers as I have been building them for 10+ years. I recently decided to upgrade to water cooling and this is my first time building a loop. My hardware is as follows:

Asus P6T Mobo
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.2 ghz (stock cooler...will be much higher once water cooling in place)
6gig corsair dominater tri-channel RAM
1 tb WD Hard drive
2 Nvidia Geforce GTX 295
1000watt Antec PSU
Blu Ray Drive
Corsair Obsidian 800D Chassis

Water Cooling Gear:
Primochill Typhoon III Resevoir
Swiftech MCP655 pump (will be mounted into RES once it arrives in mail)
7/16" Tygon tubing (using 1/2" barbs on everything)
Swiftech Apogee XT CPU block
DangerDen Double Heatercore with 2x120mm Fan shroud

and I am planning to purchase 2 eVGA GTX 480 FTW edition video cards (they come with the copper water block installed)

My question is...what is the best/most effective way to install this loop within an Obsidian 800d - for those of you who are familiar with this case or have even constructed a rig with one. I have read hundreds of articles on water cooling and have a very good idea of how to do it. I just want some professional opinions on the best way to do this. For now, I want to construct a solid loop for the cpu and I am aware that cooling the 480's will most likely require a second loop. But, after reading about the Typhoon III, everyone says that it is designed to run two loops using only one MCP655. Can someone also explain how this is possible and what kind of configuration to use in order to cool my cpu and gpu's with 2 loops using one pump and that res?

Any help regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated... :)

Thanks a bunch guys!!!

Solution
But, after reading about the Typhoon III, everyone says that it is designed to run two loops using only one MCP655.
Hmm... I haven't seen this being done at all. You can have one res and 2 pumps, but if your doing 2 loops, you need to have 2 pumps AFAIK.

and I am planning to purchase 2 eVGA GTX 480 FTW edition video cards (they come with the copper water block installed)
Specs look good, imo, I'd swap the GTX480s to 2x5870s or 5890s.

Also, what fans on the rad? I recommend the Scythe...

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
While I'm certain there are (will be) techs here (on New Build Forum) which might answer your question with depth and authority ... Your proposed build is "anything but main-stream", for what usually goes on here.

... So, just to cover your bases ... you might also cross-post in any gamers and OC Forums ... here, at Tom's ... and abroad ... including modders forums.

= IDK =

sam80jr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Well how am I supposed to know? I assumed by "new build" this forum was for people building a new computer looking for expert help. Why would newbies help out other newbies? that doesn't make sense. I assumed we'd be getting help from people who know what they are doing. Thanks for being so kind and not sarcastic or rude at all.

But, after reading about the Typhoon III, everyone says that it is designed to run two loops using only one MCP655.
Hmm... I haven't seen this being done at all. You can have one res and 2 pumps, but if your doing 2 loops, you need to have 2 pumps AFAIK.

Specs look good, imo, I'd swap the GTX480s to 2x5870s or 5890s.

Also, what fans on the rad? I recommend the Scythe Slipstream (good balance between CFM and noise), Yate Loons, or Scythe Gentle Typhoons (pretty damn quiet; med airflow)

You may also want to consider the Primoflex LRT tubing if you want color instead of using WCing dyes,etc. Remember: Run Distilled water + PRNuke (or KillCoils) ONLY.

Also, I highly recommend you post this thread here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71
Overclockers is one of the best forums for WCing.

edit:
Here is a good build log with with the Corsair case: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639546

Solution

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Newbie ?? Lemme see ... I am 50 ... Was a Ballistic Fire Control Tech ... Worked as a Corporate Accounts Tech Rep, for DELL, ... built computers when all they had was switches and lights ... and I (in 30 years) never built an H2O rig ... I guess that makes me a newbie ...

... ?Hey!, you cute little water-coolin' punkster ... lick my EVA boots !

. . . There is a reason that I never played with water cooling ... and prolly never will. It's kinda like street racing ... you're young ... you got lots of time ... you're livin' with mommy and daddy and you have a paper route ... great for you ! You must be such a happy little gamer.

Hey ... I have an Idea ! ... once you are finished building that coolest of all rigs ... why don't you donate ALL your idle clocks to some "Fold At Home" type project that will solve genetic diseases or at least let SETI camp out on your back porch !

... It took 3 INTEL 286 procs to go to the moon ... have fun playin' paddy-cakes with your jacuzzi pump !!

Vets in here are not noobs ... we just insist on clocks/dollar and do mostly regular builds for (normal) people ...

Did you know that Nitrogen cooling is WAY better than H2O ?? Why aren't you doing Nitrogen cooling ?? Just wondering? ... What kind of NOOB does water ?

Well, there is a School Teacher from India who wants me to build him a $300 class-room presentation rig ... THAT is MY kind of technical challenge ... more with less !

= or be rude or sarcastic or anything =

http://www.yourworstgift.com/clientimages/18dfaf9b9aeba71e9ff7e3dde55PO-FRUITCAKE.jpg

[:jaydeejohn:3] . [:jaydeejohn:3] . [:jaydeejohn:3]

sam80jr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
I didn't say you were a newbie. The way you corrected my post made it sound like you were trying to say this forum was only for newbies thats why I was confused. I figured the people in this forum were experienced so I thought I could get some expert help. If you have so much experience, why didn't you help me instead of turning me away? You're making this even more confusing. And actually I don't like with mommy and daddy. I have my Masters from Bentley in Human Factors in Information Technology and am currently working at Verizon headquarters designing software for cellphones making 90+k/year at age 25. I'd say I'm doing pretty good. So before you pass judgement on others, get to know them first. I was not trying to be insulting at all, I simply did not understand why I was being turned away from a forum that is called "New Computer Builds" when that's exactly what I needed help with. Thanks again.

japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Sam,

definitely go to the overclockers forum shadow suggested...they have a lot more WCers there. I would suggest that you will need either 1 3x120mm radiator or 2 2x120mm rads. the 480's put out a lot of heat. The other thing you might want to consider is that the WCed versions aren't out yet...if you can possibly wait that the true 512 core GTX100 might surface once 40nm yields improve.

oh, and keep in mind that WCing takes much more maintenance than air cooling. you will have to tear down the system at least once a year and clean everything out. Something I didn't get until after I WCed. Basically I have the same pump, radiator and CPU block...and it all works great!

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

You have to understand! We build lots of HTPCs and Air-Gamers, around here and, well, things can get pretty boring so we get all perky when big-time hot-shots come in ...

... Apology accepted.

= But you're not gettin' my Bud-Lite ! =