Sign in with
Your question

Need help OC Phenom 965 BE

Last response: in Overclocking
February 25, 2013 2:50:44 AM

Up until today ive had my Phenom 965 BE at a stable 4Ghz 24/7 with 1.4750 voltage. Using 20x multiplier 200FSB.

I never knew much about the NB frequency and voltage and didnt realise it increased performance. So i tried to OC it, i successfully reached 2400mhz from 2000mhz without changing the voltage. I did a short 20 mins prime95 and it passed maxing at 49c. I then set it to 2600mhz and upped the voltage from 1.100v to 1.3750v it seemed successful and passed a 55 min prime95 test. But once i did a pc restart with these OC settings when it turned back on the computer acted as normal except didnt give a signal to the monitor, nor did my mouse/keyboard light up.

So i replaced the CMOS battery which put the settings back to 2400mhz 1.100v. I restarted the pc and the same thing happened so i took out the CMOS battery again and turned the pc back on. I went straight into the BIOS and put the NB freq. and voltage back to default. What am i doing wrong? and what might be causing this weird half startup on a restart?

The Dram settings are on auto and i havent changed them at all. Ive disabled CPU throttling and CnQ aswell as LLC (not sure if it should be enabled)
When i went back into the BIOS i noticed 2 settings, one was called CPU NB VOLTAGE and the seconds was called NB VOLTAGE, with the earlier overclocks i was changing the CPU NB VOLTAGE to up the voltage for the NB but was i meant to be changing the NB VOLTAGE setting? Whats the difference.

How far do most people get there NB freq. to go? Mines sitting at 2000mhz default.

Thanks, any info to help me successfully OC the NB will be great!

More about : phenom 965

a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
February 25, 2013 9:11:21 AM

benjanini61 said:
Up until today ive had my Phenom 965 BE at a stable 4Ghz 24/7 with 1.4750 voltage. Using 20x multiplier 200FSB.

What about 24/7 stable at 4ghz were you dissatisfied with?

Many with your same CPU have not gotten that far!

Quote:
The Dram settings are on auto and i havent changed them at all.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274820-29-black-edition-overclock-raising-multiplier-guide

Quote:
Bear in mind that you should overclock all Phenoms using your FSB, and stay at or below the stock multi. If you increase your CPU multi over stock, you lose your power savings functions like C1E and Powernow! and coolnquiet. Hence, black edition is meaningless.

That is so incorrect!

There is so much I'd like to say to you at this point, however it would probably get me banned from THGF!

Quote:
Hence, black edition is meaningless.

Only if you have not figured out how to get the most from it!

If C1E and Cool N Quiet are important to you, then you do not need to be overclocking in the first place!

You surely would not even need to buy a Black Edition unlocked multiplier CPU!

If you are going to overclock the Black Edition by increasing the multiplier, they are the first settings you disable!

Obviously everyone seems to know that, except you!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2013 10:17:44 AM

Quote:
so say you have a Phenom X6 1045T, this allows you to push FSB's around 290,300 on higher quality boards so you can do 4ghz+ even though you can't raise your multiplier above 13.5 (13.5 x 250 = 3.3ghz).

is there a reason you say you can't push the multiplier higher than 13.5 with 300 fsb just I am currently using 300x13 for 3.9ghz and although i can boot into windows with 4.2ghz I have never had it properly stable, I've always felt its a ram issue for me and I'm actuially just finishing off setting up my custom water loop and was hoping to get back to trying for the 4.2ghz so am interested to know am I wasting my time

to the op my take on your NB voltage well you have said when you had trouble you upped the voltage from 1.1v to 1.375v thats a crazy jump in voltage where did you get that figure from to change to, my motherboard insists on having cpu/NB voltage at 1.4v if its on auto but I stay perfectly stable at 1.3v and I noticed a decent amount of heat removed from just that drop in voltage and as for 1.2v been the limit of the NB voltage I have mine set to 1.28v and run it at 2700mhz although I reckon could push to 3000mhz
Related resources
February 25, 2013 11:36:30 AM

I just want to understand why my PC wouldnt start properly after OCing the CPU-NB, yet it lasted an hour in prime95. Surely it should easily reach 2400mhz atleast on a 1.2v? Im going to put set my Dram to its proper settings which is 1333mhz.
February 25, 2013 11:58:35 AM

Can increase the HT help in performance?? its default is 2000mhz but it can go to 2400
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2013 1:07:43 PM

raising the htt doesn't give you any performance boost
February 25, 2013 1:10:54 PM

Ok thanks, can you wonder what might have been happening when the pc would give anything to the monitor nor give control to the mouse and keyboard. It was only on 2400mhz cpu nb with a 1.2v nb core
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2013 1:30:19 PM

benjanini61 said:
Ok thanks, can you wonder what might have been happening when the pc would give anything to the monitor nor give control to the mouse and keyboard. It was only on 2400mhz cpu nb with a 1.2v nb core

I'm sorry to be the one to point this out to you, but did you read and "Understand" 4ryan6 post? :whistle: 

He even gave you a link for OCin that CPU. :pfff: 

His information is absolutely correct.
a c 115 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2013 2:48:12 PM

benjanini61 said:
I just want to understand why my PC wouldnt start properly after OCing the CPU-NB, yet it lasted an hour in prime95. Surely it should easily reach 2400mhz atleast on a 1.2v? Im going to put set my Dram to its proper settings which is 1333mhz.

For DDR3 1333, the system clock sweet spot is 250MHz.

Simply drop the divider from 6.67 to 5.33 (250MHz x 5.33 = 1333MHz) 1.2 NB volts should be just dandy.

And otherwise, I think your VCore is too high, you need to enable LLC, tell us your mobo and BIOS version, and what is your CPU stepping?

February 25, 2013 5:08:28 PM

Asrock 970 extreme 3. Version 04.06.05.

Where abouts can i change those settings couldnt seem to find it.
My CPU-NB is now at 2400mhz and 1.2v and it seems to be stable, although earlier on dead space 3 crashed with a loud BBRRRRRRRRRRR and i had to hard restart PC. Yet i played Far Cry 3 for over an hour with no problems.
a c 115 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2013 5:12:03 PM

Download CPUz ... check the middle right on the CPU tab - your stepping will be reported.

Check your motherboard manual concerning your RAM divider settings in the BIOS

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2013 5:15:34 PM

your still confused about the difference between CPU/NB and NB on your motherboard and if I was you I would stop messing around with voltages and frequencies and read up a little more until you get a better understanding of what your doing before you damage one of your components
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2013 5:41:30 PM

kiezz said:
your still confused about the difference between CPU/NB and NB on your motherboard and if I was you I would stop messing around with voltages and frequencies and read up a little more until you get a better understanding of what your doing before you damage one of your components

That is good advise! :sol: 
February 26, 2013 7:24:00 AM

Hey guys im glad to say that after some more research and trial and error my PC passed an overnight Prime95 test that was 11 hours long, with these settings;

20x multiplier - 200 FSB = 4Ghz at 1.4750v
CPU-NB 2600mhz at 1.2250v
I left the Dram at stock settings coz my FSB hasnt changed from stock. Only the multiplier.
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
February 26, 2013 8:01:12 AM

Just because you run P95 overnight is no guarantee of stability because P95 does not stress with video and sound applied neither does IBT, you'll still need to run some benchmarks and try some gaming to see if it remains stable under video and audio added load.

Your NB frequency is really motherboard specific some allow the increase some do not, all hardware is different even the same brand and model#s, increasing the NB frequency also requires increasing the NB voltage to handle it.

Increasing voltage increases heat so keep an eye on it, sometimes after long run periods of not being overclocked some elements don't take well to suddenly increasing their output so be careful.

Good overclocking to you!
February 26, 2013 11:40:45 AM

Lol i cant please you can i. I have increased the voltage on the NB its at 1.100v default and at 1.2250v now. I just played BF3 for 40 mins which isnt much but i had no problems.
Also during the over night test the max CPU cores temp was 53c and the average was 49c. Going to do some more intense gaming to see if it handles. Some crysis 3, far cry 3 etc.

Thanks for the advice
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
February 26, 2013 11:57:39 AM

benjanini61 said:
Lol i cant please you can i.

:o  I'll take that as my Que to leave.

February 26, 2013 12:33:53 PM

Wow you took offense to that?
!