Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asus 5800

Last response: in Systems
April 7, 2010 8:34:48 AM

Hello, I have been checking out the new ASUS 5870s and 5850s. I thought I would get the 5850 DirectCu, but I am actually going to have more money cause of increase in money flow. So I was looking into the V2 that just came out and I have read good and bad things but bad things were nothing of my concern like size and what not. But I was told about the Ares and the Matrix which both look awesome, and I can see me getting the Matrix cause the Ares is to much machine for me.

Has anyone bought the V2 or know of it? Also do you think that the Matrix is worth it, or is the V2 good enough? I was going to get the 5850 cause I would save money and getting good performance OCing, but I figured I might as well go for the Bahama Mama, for just 100 more if that.
So thats it I was just wanting to get some info or thoughts on which Asus to get so either 5870-Matrix or 5870-V2 or the 5850 DirectCU.

Thanks for any info, I am still un certain of price and release of the Matrix. I wanted to spend less than 450, but I would only spend more if the card's performance is worth spending a little extra.

More about : asus 5800

Best solution

April 7, 2010 12:55:00 PM

In my opinion, just spend $400.00 and get the reference version 5870 from ASUS, it comes with an overclocking tool that has a voltage tweak and it is covered under warranty if damaged while overclocking.

I currently have my ASUS reference 5870 running @ 930/1275 with no voltage tweak at all and with the fan @ 44% my temps have not gone past 63 degrees celcius...

If you buy the super duper version, all you're paying for is just a possible small factory overclock (that you can do on your own) and a slightly better cooling solution, which, imo, is not necessary...
April 7, 2010 1:46:36 PM

jonpaul37 said:
In my opinion, just spend $400.00 and get the reference version 5870 from ASUS, it comes with an overclocking tool that has a voltage tweak and it is covered under warranty if damaged while overclocking.

I currently have my ASUS reference 5870 running @ 930/1275 with no voltage tweak at all and with the fan @ 44% my temps have not gone past 63 degrees celcius...

If you buy the super duper version, all you're paying for is just a possible small factory overclock (that you can do on your own) and a slightly better cooling solution, which, imo, is not necessary...

Like any non-reference you got to make sure what your paying for, like you said 63C is good enough in my book lol, so I wouldn't have a problem there cause will have a lot of ventilation pushing air. Asus is the best card in my unwritten book of personal knowledge, cause 3 year warranty is good cause I will need a new one by then anyway. Best part is they encourage you to OC there card for maximum performance and to top that off a warranty if the card can't handle it.
But back to the ref. card, they were made solid from the start and really didn't need any modded air cooling or help ocing. So I have to find a place that still sales the Ref. card, I was planning on Newegg, cause I was going to finance for 12 months, but i don't need to buy everything there. I already got some couple of items from frozencpu and bestbuy. So now I need to shop around!

Yeah my plan for the last while was to get a DirectCu 5850 or Ref., but then I am 100 shy of a 5870 asus, so hell might as go big or go home, since I am already spending damn there 400 might as well. I actually was going to use leftover school money to build, but my bro has a business and he wants me to run it for him, so I will be coming into a lot of cash starting in about a month, so the sky is the limit with my computer, well for the most part, I did want a budget of 1500, but I might be changing it to 2000-2500.

I
Related resources
April 7, 2010 2:19:37 PM

you could go for the 5870 ASUS ref card and then use the extra $$$ for a very nice case with good air flow or perhaps a nice power supply or even a nice monitor...
April 7, 2010 2:44:49 PM

jonpaul37 said:
you could go for the 5870 ASUS ref card and then use the extra $$$ for a very nice case with good air flow or perhaps a nice power supply or even a nice monitor...

Well the V2 is only 430, and at provantage they have the Ref for 405, so its not huge difference for the V2, but with shipping I will see which way is cheaper.

But I plan on getting the HX850 for my psu, I thought about the HX1000 but its a little longer but is also really nice but not as good as the 850, which is the best psu on the planet, well to me it is.
With the case, I have been looking at the CM 692 Advanced, but then I say the HAF-X and the LanBoy Air, so I might hold out for one of the two new cases, but either way its a win win win situation.
With a monitor I have been looking at new tvs for awhile and I still have a 65 hitachi that works just fine, but I was looking at around 32-42 incher for my room. I have a cove for my computer desk and I was thinking about buying like a 42 inch screen that is 120 or 240hz and mount it on my wall. Then I could use it for both tv and computer, cause if I am going to spend like 300-400 on a monitor I might as well save up more and get a huge mother trucker that plays games real good.
April 14, 2010 12:19:23 AM

Best answer selected by Salt-City_Slasher.
!