Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Vengeance Memory vs. G. Skill upgrade!!

Last response: in Overclocking
February 25, 2013 11:52:09 AM

I was able to completed the Intel burn test at 4.5ghz at 1.296 vCore and PLL of 1.700v and ran successful. After 6 or more hours of continuos playing of Black Ops II system screen goes pale and system requires reboot and all is well for several more hours. The system does not generate a BSOD it just goes PALE so I am thinking it is a memory issue or graphic card related! I have 4 sticks of 4g of Cosair Vengeance (16g) memory set on profile #1 which is set for 1600 Mhz. and 1.5v. Do you know if this memory will oc and what timing I should consider changing manually? Perhaps should I just purchase 32g of G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1333 ram for the Z77x-UD3H board I just purchased? Or which G. Skill should I purchase?

System Spec listed under more info/member confrig.. tab to the left!
a c 104 } Memory
a c 121 K Overclocking
February 25, 2013 1:08:35 PM

I think your problem is elsewhere. Possibly graphics card related or psu related. Perhaps heat related.

You can run memtest86+ to check out your ram.

I see no need to change out the ram if memtest shows good.

And, since no game will use more than 2-3gb of ram, I see no need to go past 8gb, let alone 16gb.

ram speed of 1600 is fine, there is little real difference with faster:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-...

In picking ram, it is better to use 2 sticks to get your capacity vs. 4. Fewer sticks are easier for the motherboard to manage.
Score
February 25, 2013 1:50:31 PM

Where can I get a good copy of Memtest 86+. I was able to download the USB version but was not able to get it to run. I attempted to burn a disc copy of the IOS to disc which I can't do. With the graphic card I have. Do I need to up the voltage or something like that to keep it from causing those gray vertical lines to appear on the screen?

I will remove 2 sticks of ram and see how that goes....perhaps I can used them in my next build (a Lan box).
Score
Related resources
a c 104 } Memory
a c 121 K Overclocking
February 25, 2013 2:45:27 PM

You can download memtest86+ here:
http://www.memtest.org/
The latest version is required for some newer cpu's.

You can run it from a cd, USB stick or floppy.

Parts do fail, so consider the possibility that your new graphics card is defective.

Because your problem happens only after some time, you might have a heat issue.
See if taking the sides of the case off helps.
Score
February 25, 2013 4:44:38 PM

Ok...here is where I am with this. What is the difference between wPrime and Prime 95 (which will test the system at its maxim at which it will never reach during a game)? Yes, the system crashed at 4.6 GHz and 4.7 GHz setting which I was pushing for. I was able to run at 4.7 GHz once and never again after then so I reset everything and ran IBT and all went fine at 4.5 GHz. What is the temperature range I should be concern with during the Prime 95 test? According to input I received from here. I am basically changing to 2 voltages to OC. The vCore (+) and PLL (- ) to Oc the Z77x-UD3H. I haven’t changed anything else besides the memory profile which is set on Auto …to get the memory to 1600 MHz. It is apparent to me that I perhaps have a problem some where and I believe it is memory related or the graphics card. It does not crash (BSOD). It generates vertical gray lines during gaming after several hours of play. Others who have had this issue state that it has something to do with voltage and memory timing! hum!
Score
February 25, 2013 4:54:39 PM

Quote:
You have instability. You should do a proper stress test, which you did not.

You need to run prime95 for 24 hours at least, to test for stability. Testing for just 12 hours, or 5 hours, isn't going to test more than half your CPU. You need to run it for 24 hours to run every fft length. Also make sure to set priority to 10, sum input and round checking is checked off, and use max available ram in a custom blend test.

You very clearly overclocked your system, and then had a crash. I'd assume it's your CPU overclock before RAM or GPU, but it could be anything.

Do a prime95 24 hour test to test your entire system. Your screen going pale is just one of a million ways instability can reveal itself.

You only need 2x2GB of RAM when on gaming, because games cannot possibly use more than 3.5gb of ram due to them having to be compatible with 32bit OS. Buying more tahn 4gb of ram for gaming system would be a huge waste of money.

I hope you are aware there are like 30 different g.skill ripjaws X's. Some, like the PSC 2000mhz 2x2gb cl9-10-9s are awesome, while some like the 1866mhz are crap hynix.

There's basically only 5 different ram. You aren't buying g.skill ram, you are buying PSC, BBSE, Hynix, Micron D9. You pick ram based on the best IC.

Basically, just get the cheapest, brand-name ram you can in the quantity you need. If you were savvy, you could go on trading forums or ebay and find some high quality PSC or BBSE for $20-30 for 2x2gb that could easily do 2400mhz+ but that's probably beyond the scope of this thread.

And I don't see any reason that you need to change your RAM...

"You very clearly overclocked your system, and then had a crash. I'd assume it's your CPU overclock before RAM or GPU, but it could be anything."

So are you saying one or the other is faulty? I can run it all day and night at factory settings and no problem appears. Assuming its the CPU ....will I have to replace it?

Score
a c 104 } Memory
a c 121 K Overclocking
February 25, 2013 5:02:31 PM

knightfarley said:
"You very clearly overclocked your system, and then had a crash. I'd assume it's your CPU overclock before RAM or GPU, but it could be anything."

So are you saying one or the other is faulty? I can run it all day and night at factory settings and no problem appears. Assuming its the CPU ....will I have to replace it?

You have answered your own question.
If you can run all day at stock settings, then your OC is the problem.
I am surprised that the failure shows up as a graphics issue and not a BSOD.

4.5 is a relatively high oc, and not all chip samples will do that reliably.
Particularly if the chip gets hot.
Problems increase rapidly at some point.
Backing off the oc by .1 or .2 may well solve your problem with no visible impact on your gaming.
Score
February 25, 2013 5:10:14 PM

I will give it a shot. It was my understanding. If it boot...past IBT, wPrime and Prime 95 it was stable. However, I must admitt all of this is new to me and I am learning this as I go alone. Yes, the temp is just under 50c idle, and stays under 74c at 100% load.

Factory setting are 3.4 Ghz and 3.8 Ghz with Turbo Boost maxim. :ouch: 

Also, core:#1 is set as 38, #2 is set as 38, #3 is set as 37 and #4 is 36. This is all setup as AUTO under the Turbo setting so there will be a slight vDroop and I have left all the C1-CEist setting on auto as well. I did see any benefit to be gained from chaning them. Should I adjust the two lower turbo core setting?

I have tweaked this system alot and recorded the response as I went over past 4 weeks. I am very surprised also since it doesn't crash as BSOD but rather vertical gray lines. I am thinking if I set vCore at 1.35v (which most others have been able to run stable at versus the 1.296 I currently have and lower PLL from 1.700v to 1.65v for temp control all will be fine. If not I will go with a lower Oc of 4.4 Ghz or lower and see if it runs stable for 24/7 or just go with factory turbo setting of 3.8 Ghz that I know is stable!@ :sleep: 
Score
a c 104 } Memory
a c 121 K Overclocking
February 25, 2013 5:23:37 PM

knightfarley said:
I will give it a shot. It was my understanding. If it boot...past IBT, wPrime and Prime 95 it was stable. However, I must admitt all of this is new to me and I am learning this as I go alone. Yes, the temp is just under 50c idle, and stays under 74c at 100% load.

Factory setting are 3.4 Ghz and 3.8 Ghz with Turbo Boost maxim. :ouch: 

I have tweaked this system alot and recorded response as I went over past 4 weeks. I am very surprised also since it doesn't crash as BSOD but rather vertical gray lines. I am thinking if I set vCore at 1.35v (which most others have been able to run stable at versus the 1.296 I currently have and lower PLL from 1.700v to 1.65v for temp control all will be fine. If not I will go with a lower Oc of 4.4 Ghz or lower and see if it runs stable for 24/7 or just go with factory turbo setting of 3.8 Ghz that I know is stable!@ :sleep: 

My simple approach is to do nothing but raise the multiplier from 34 to whatever. Leave everything else on auto, including the ram.
You will get a conservative oc and not damage your cpu.
The last couple of multipliers are simply not worth it from a practical point of view.
Score
February 25, 2013 5:39:43 PM

You know, I have not tried that either. I will do it and see if it works. I definite don't want to damage the CPU. I want a 3770K or 3930K but not because I fried the 3750K!
Score

Best solution

a c 104 } Memory
a c 121 K Overclocking
February 25, 2013 5:46:25 PM

knightfarley said:
You know, I have not tried that either. I will do it and see if it works. I definite don't want to damage the CPU. I want a 3770K or 3930K but not because I fried the 3750K!

Keep the 3570K; it is unlikely that the extra cores/hyperthreads would have any benefit to your gaming.
February 25, 2013 6:00:28 PM

3750K....it is...I will just get another one for the LAN box I will build later this year!
Score
February 26, 2013 2:59:03 PM

Best answer selected by knightfarley.
Score
!