Psimon

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have the following configuration: A 60Gb hard drive partitioned as c:15Gb
FAT and D:45Gb NTFS. There is also a DVD drive on E and CD on F.

I want to upgrade the hard drives. What I was going to do was add another
hard drive, move the D drive to the new drive and make it the new D. Then I
wanted to repartition the C/D drive to make it all C drive.

What is the best way to go about this? Should I make the new D drive NTFS
like the old D was?

What is the best way ( and software ) to accomplish all of this?

Thanks..... PAul

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Partition your new drive as one c: drive than repartition your old c/d drive
as one drive
Install XP onto your new c: drive
do you want to save any data?

"PSimon" wrote:

> I have the following configuration: A 60Gb hard drive partitioned as c:15Gb
> FAT and D:45Gb NTFS. There is also a DVD drive on E and CD on F.
>
> I want to upgrade the hard drives. What I was going to do was add another
> hard drive, move the D drive to the new drive and make it the new D. Then I
> wanted to repartition the C/D drive to make it all C drive.
>
> What is the best way to go about this? Should I make the new D drive NTFS
> like the old D was?
>
> What is the best way ( and software ) to accomplish all of this?
>
> Thanks..... PAul

Psimon

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

My hope was to just move data around.

I thought ( and please correct me if I am wrong) that I would make the new
drive D, format it as NTFS, and copy the old D data to the new D. If I were
to do that, would I be able to repartition the C/D drive and make it just C,
even though it originally had to different file structures? Can I do it with
native XP tools, does the new drive come with software to do this
manipulation, or do I need to buy something, like Partition Magic?

Thanks... Paul

"jpr" <jpr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Partition your new drive as one c: drive than repartition your old c/d
> drive
> as one drive
> Install XP onto your new c: drive
> do you want to save any data?
>
> "PSimon" wrote:
>
>> I have the following configuration: A 60Gb hard drive partitioned as
>> c:15Gb
>> FAT and D:45Gb NTFS. There is also a DVD drive on E and CD on F.
>>
>> I want to upgrade the hard drives. What I was going to do was add another
>> hard drive, move the D drive to the new drive and make it the new D. Then
>> wanted to repartition the C/D drive to make it all C drive.
>>
>> What is the best way to go about this? Should I make the new D drive NTFS
>> like the old D was?
>>
>> What is the best way ( and software ) to accomplish all of this?
>>
>> Thanks..... PAul

dhheaps

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I am also having a similar problem, but mine seems simpler.... Yet I'm still
having trouble.

I have Windows XP with a 40GB hd, and I have an old computer with Win98 and
a 60GB hd with Fat32 format. I want to add my 60GB hd to my newer XP
computer, and keep the old files that are on it.

I have physically connected the 60 GB hard drive as a slave, and rebooted.
The system recognizes that the drive is there, but doesn't recognize any
files on it. On one of the Properties windows, it says it's "offline". I get
a prompt asking if I want to format this drive, but I click No, because I
don't want to erase the files. I have also tried running the Convert.exe
program to convert it from Fat32 to NTFS, but that didn't seem to work, as I
got a message saying it couldn't access the drive, or another program was
using it.

If anyone has some suggestions, I would appreciate it!

"jpr" wrote:

> Partition your new drive as one c: drive than repartition your old c/d drive
> as one drive
> Install XP onto your new c: drive
> do you want to save any data?
>
> "PSimon" wrote:
>
> > I have the following configuration: A 60Gb hard drive partitioned as c:15Gb
> > FAT and D:45Gb NTFS. There is also a DVD drive on E and CD on F.
> >
> > I want to upgrade the hard drives. What I was going to do was add another
> > hard drive, move the D drive to the new drive and make it the new D. Then I
> > wanted to repartition the C/D drive to make it all C drive.
> >
> > What is the best way to go about this? Should I make the new D drive NTFS
> > like the old D was?
> >
> > What is the best way ( and software ) to accomplish all of this?
> >
> > Thanks..... PAul

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You may need to "Take Ownership" of the drive - see that topic in Help and
Support.
--
Ron Sommer