Adding a drive...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have the following configuration: A 60Gb hard drive partitioned as c:15Gb
FAT and D:45Gb NTFS. There is also a DVD drive on E and CD on F.

I want to upgrade the hard drives. What I was going to do was add another
hard drive, move the D drive to the new drive and make it the new D. Then I
wanted to repartition the C/D drive to make it all C drive.

What is the best way to go about this? Should I make the new D drive NTFS
like the old D was?

What is the best way ( and software ) to accomplish all of this?

Thanks..... PAul
4 answers Last reply
More about adding drive
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Partition your new drive as one c: drive than repartition your old c/d drive
    as one drive
    Install XP onto your new c: drive
    do you want to save any data?

    "PSimon" wrote:

    > I have the following configuration: A 60Gb hard drive partitioned as c:15Gb
    > FAT and D:45Gb NTFS. There is also a DVD drive on E and CD on F.
    >
    > I want to upgrade the hard drives. What I was going to do was add another
    > hard drive, move the D drive to the new drive and make it the new D. Then I
    > wanted to repartition the C/D drive to make it all C drive.
    >
    > What is the best way to go about this? Should I make the new D drive NTFS
    > like the old D was?
    >
    > What is the best way ( and software ) to accomplish all of this?
    >
    > Thanks..... PAul

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    My hope was to just move data around.

    I thought ( and please correct me if I am wrong) that I would make the new
    drive D, format it as NTFS, and copy the old D data to the new D. If I were
    to do that, would I be able to repartition the C/D drive and make it just C,
    even though it originally had to different file structures? Can I do it with
    native XP tools, does the new drive come with software to do this
    manipulation, or do I need to buy something, like Partition Magic?

    Thanks... Paul

    "jpr" <jpr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Partition your new drive as one c: drive than repartition your old c/d
    > drive
    > as one drive
    > Install XP onto your new c: drive
    > do you want to save any data?
    >
    > "PSimon" wrote:
    >
    >> I have the following configuration: A 60Gb hard drive partitioned as
    >> c:15Gb
    >> FAT and D:45Gb NTFS. There is also a DVD drive on E and CD on F.
    >>
    >> I want to upgrade the hard drives. What I was going to do was add another
    >> hard drive, move the D drive to the new drive and make it the new D. Then
    >> wanted to repartition the C/D drive to make it all C drive.
    >>
    >> What is the best way to go about this? Should I make the new D drive NTFS
    >> like the old D was?
    >>
    >> What is the best way ( and software ) to accomplish all of this?
    >>
    >> Thanks..... PAul

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I am also having a similar problem, but mine seems simpler.... Yet I'm still
    having trouble.

    I have Windows XP with a 40GB hd, and I have an old computer with Win98 and
    a 60GB hd with Fat32 format. I want to add my 60GB hd to my newer XP
    computer, and keep the old files that are on it.

    I have physically connected the 60 GB hard drive as a slave, and rebooted.
    The system recognizes that the drive is there, but doesn't recognize any
    files on it. On one of the Properties windows, it says it's "offline". I get
    a prompt asking if I want to format this drive, but I click No, because I
    don't want to erase the files. I have also tried running the Convert.exe
    program to convert it from Fat32 to NTFS, but that didn't seem to work, as I
    got a message saying it couldn't access the drive, or another program was
    using it.

    If anyone has some suggestions, I would appreciate it!

    "jpr" wrote:

    > Partition your new drive as one c: drive than repartition your old c/d drive
    > as one drive
    > Install XP onto your new c: drive
    > do you want to save any data?
    >
    > "PSimon" wrote:
    >
    > > I have the following configuration: A 60Gb hard drive partitioned as c:15Gb
    > > FAT and D:45Gb NTFS. There is also a DVD drive on E and CD on F.
    > >
    > > I want to upgrade the hard drives. What I was going to do was add another
    > > hard drive, move the D drive to the new drive and make it the new D. Then I
    > > wanted to repartition the C/D drive to make it all C drive.
    > >
    > > What is the best way to go about this? Should I make the new D drive NTFS
    > > like the old D was?
    > >
    > > What is the best way ( and software ) to accomplish all of this?
    > >
    > > Thanks..... PAul

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    You may need to "Take Ownership" of the drive - see that topic in Help and
    Support.
    --
    Ron Sommer

    "dhheaps" <dhheaps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am also having a similar problem, but mine seems simpler.... Yet I'm
    >still
    > having trouble.
    >
    > I have Windows XP with a 40GB hd, and I have an old computer with Win98
    > and
    > a 60GB hd with Fat32 format. I want to add my 60GB hd to my newer XP
    > computer, and keep the old files that are on it.
    >
    > I have physically connected the 60 GB hard drive as a slave, and rebooted.
    > The system recognizes that the drive is there, but doesn't recognize any
    > files on it. On one of the Properties windows, it says it's "offline". I
    > get
    > a prompt asking if I want to format this drive, but I click No, because I
    > don't want to erase the files. I have also tried running the Convert.exe
    > program to convert it from Fat32 to NTFS, but that didn't seem to work, as
    > got a message saying it couldn't access the drive, or another program was
    > using it.
    >
    > If anyone has some suggestions, I would appreciate it!
    >

    > "jpr" wrote:
    >
    >> Partition your new drive as one c: drive than repartition your old c/d
    >> drive
    >> as one drive
    >> Install XP onto your new c: drive
    >> do you want to save any data?
    >>
    >> "PSimon" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have the following configuration: A 60Gb hard drive partitioned as
    >> > c:15Gb
    >> > FAT and D:45Gb NTFS. There is also a DVD drive on E and CD on F.
    >> >
    >> > I want to upgrade the hard drives. What I was going to do was add
    >> > another
    >> > hard drive, move the D drive to the new drive and make it the new D.
    >> > Then I
    >> > wanted to repartition the C/D drive to make it all C drive.
    >> >
    >> > What is the best way to go about this? Should I make the new D drive
    >> > NTFS
    >> > like the old D was?
    >> >
    >> > What is the best way ( and software ) to accomplish all of this?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks..... PAul

Configuration Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP